What is the handiest way to power a 3 axle bogie? Im building a LKAB 6 axle locomotive and i don't know how i could power a 3 axle bogie with power functions. I have seen some designs with motors placed vertical above the bogie but i don't know how to attach something like that to a frame. And what would be the best motor to power it?

Thank you for helping!

Great choice with the prototype :wink:

My IORE has two powered axles and one axle behind which can move a bit so that it comes around curves. To power all three axles will be quite complicated because one axle should be movable, either at the end or in the middle.

I placed a XL motor horizontally and made a connection with bevel gears to the boogie. You have to be careful the everything holds together, so you have to use technic bricks and pins and so on.

Here are two pictures from my locomotive:

18423189859_06d04e357c_z.jpgIORE Motor by StefanEris, auf Flickr

18582984456_a4ece37e58_z.jpgIORE Boogie by StefanEris, auf Flickr

I hope this helps.

What's the scale you're intending to build at? That has a strong effect on the answer:

If you're working at a smaller scale, and not opposed to using the PF train motor, see the discussion in this thread.

For a larger locomotive, take a look at Railbricks Issue 6, page 62, which has instructions for a 3-axle bogie with the first and third axles powered.

I've said this many times: Google is your friend: https://www.google.ie/search?q=lego+3+axle+bogie+powering&tbm=isch

One of the first results there is a picture of Cale Leiphart's design which takes funnily enough to a thread here on Eurobricks:http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57085

The link in that thread takes you to Cale's images on Flickr where, in the album for the engine this bogie belongs to, you'll find pictures like this:

4918281499_1fb0544e5a_z.jpg

B&O Em1 18 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

Another image in those search results will take you to Mike Pianta's album of his Class 66 with a number of pictures of both bogies and the inside of his fantastic model:

Now all that took me longer to type that to find. It's really not that difficult.

Can I recommend you start downloading issues of Railbricks Magazine? Full of building techniques and pictures of great models.

Another tip: post a few pictures of what you've tried sofar. A lot of builders prefer "hey, I got this far, can you help me out" to "I've picked a model I want to build, please tell me how to do it".

;-)