Sign in to follow this  
grevens

Is Millenium Falcon 7965 still the one to get?

Hello... I just joined, but have been lurking for a while. Spent the better part of my preteen years submerged in my Lego. And have now returned since I'm indoctrinating my son to love them also ;)

Anyways, we have been picking up a lot of Star Wars items lately, selling off his City batch. And I can't help myself checking the used ads more or less every day.

Today I saw a guy selling a mint condition, unassembled in a closed box Falcon 7965 for less than half price of store bought.

BUT... I'm also reading people's guess' that just maybe we will see a new edition of the Falcon this year as we get closer to the release of episode VII.

So I'm at a loss... should I pick up this version and then just be happy, or do you think a 2015 model would be that much better (apart from potentially including minifigs such as Finn, Rey and Old Han Solo?)

Cheers

If you want a Falcon and can get a mint NISB 7965 for less than half-price, go for it I say.

Chances are you you will be able to build it, enjoy it, and get your money back if the new one turns out to be more to your liking.

Hi, I was drawn back into Lego like you, by my son collecting Clone Wars sets. I only collect OT sets because I'm from that era and I have 7965 Falcon and I say if you have a chance to pick it up for half retail then grab it ! It's a great set, and I've also modded mine to capture more details. Any future falcon may be great sets but they will be 'Force Awakens' Falcon and not OT. I say go for it if the price is right

I'd honestly wait to see the new one. I doubt it'll be that different from the past one, and the techniques used in it will likely be improved too

I'd definitely buy the NISB Falcon at half retail. The new one coming out most likely will not change too much about the design fundamentals - some improvements to be sure, different radar dish - but you'd be really happy with the 7965 for that price and can always mod it a bit yourself.

If you already have figures from the 7965, then maybe wait for the new TFA version. I'm thinking the build will be very similar (except the dish) and the price should still be reasonable. But half off for 7965 is still really good and it may be nice to have extra parts for modding the TFA version.

A Star Wars set for half the price? Of the most iconic ship in the saga? I would buy it. I'm a fan of the OT so maybe biased but it shouldn't be too hard to modify the Falcon to your liking. I think Star Wars sets (or licensed sets in general) are too overpriced, and are getting more and more expensive. Chances are an eventual new Falcon is very similar in design, but maybe more expensive than 7965. If you can get the latter for less than half the price, well, it's a no-brainer for me.

Buy it, and perhaps wait a while before opening it. If a new one is released I think it wouldn't be too hard to sell the old one. Plenty of OT fans around here.

Just my 2 cents

I agree! I would get it! Has some great characters and playability! It is one of my favorite sets and has some great design and structure. I hope you enjoy it.

Argh.... I spent too much time thinking... He sold it yesterday not long after I had enquired about it :/

Guess Ill just hope for a TFA set if we are so lucky.

Just sold my complete one on ebay for double what I paid years ago :)

My advice, if you cant get or bricklink the ucs version, this is the next best thing...till we know for certain what tfa version will look like in lego form.

Even then this will always be the second best version of the MF in the OT line, so there's that.

The new one will probably be better. However, will it be a lot better? We'll have to wait and see, but I'm thinking it would basically be better as the new Gunship is better then the old one. If you're not a huge fan of the ship, then get the cheapest, but if like me it's one of your three favorite ships of the whole OT, get both.

Wauw.... Someone else just put theirs up after the other one got sold and while this one has no box, it's 75 dollars cheaper than the first one I was looking at. So now it's mine! :D

Storebought as new they are (were) 300 dollars in Denmark. The first one with damaged box was 180 dollars and this one was 105 dollars.

Just out of curiosity... would is the going rate in the US or UK / EU?

Edited by grevens

Well here in the UK I'm seeing 7695 in the shops for £130 - £140. Although not many places have it around here anymore. I picked mine up, along with 8097 Slave 1 from the same eBay seller, for £75 without boxes but complete. I've since modded mine to make it a lot more detailed

I have 7965 and I saw a new one on ebay going for £130+ the other day (with bids on it), so if you can pick one up cheap I'd say go for it. The only thing I don't like about it is the angles/size of the front wings/prongs (whatever they're called), so I'm hoping the new TFA one will be better and I can then modify my 7965. I'd love a UCS version, but I live in hope they'll release a new version, but I don't want to start that discussion again!

Yes I modded the mandibles too, actually made them a couple studs longer, 1 stud wider at the 'tip' and improved the angle which they meet the hull so that the shape flows better. I had to move the cockpit back which caused a few headaches!

I enjoy my 7965. I haven't had time to mod it or anything but the build itself is really fun. I'd suggest picking it up and you and your son could mod it to original trilogy Specifications inside and out, if you get it for a good price that is. or play the waiting game and roll the dice with the episode 7 falcon in which is obviously going to have some improvements and such given the time between them. or both? :) either way, you'll have a super fun project for you and your kid!

I have noticed that subsequent versions of popular vehicles have gotten smaller over the years. Such as the ATAT, Republic Gunship, and ATTE. I dont have high hopes for a VII Falcon. I have both the 4504 and 7965. I like the 7965 version a lot.

It's substantially nicer than the 4504 (what I have); don't know how much they can improve on it, and I guarantee it'll cost a lot more. If you can get a used on on ebay or BL for a decent price, I'd go for it.

So you're saying you can get the 7965 for $70 USD or less? The TFA set will be over $150 USD........

No contest

Edited by Omega 8

never been a fan of that particular set, the mandibles are very inaccurate and the interior is lacking, BUT you say you are going to pay half the original retail price.... i say go for it, 70 bucks is a totally nice deal!!

there is no rumors, we all know there is a new millennium falcon set around the corner, probably bigger with the leaked piece count and with updated techniques also new trilogy figs but a rumored price of 140$

I've own a 7965 and it's a great little model, and quite fun to build. To be honest it's a far better version than 4504, in particular the landing feet don't fall off! I'll be interested to see the new version, assuming that the rumours are correct; I guess it will be similar to it, possibly with the new dish and a few upgrades. As Solscud007 mentioned, there seems to be a general trend of re-releases being smaller, so time will tell :look: