Lordofdragonss

Angry Birds 2016 Rumors & Discussion

LEGO also posted pic on Facebook. I wonder if the sets will have those jumper pieces. It might be fun to launch them at targets.

It's interesting. It barely looks Lego though. Of course there was really no way they were going to be able to stick with the traditional minifigure for such odd and bizarre looking characters. So really I bare them no ill will.

Really while it may not be fitting I at least am glad Angry Birds will finally get some decent products, honestly their other toys have looked like crap (usually very cheap looking). Somehow I think Lego can make this work, even if it looks quite strange.

Glad to see an actual egg piece. Hopefully there's a hole on the bottom so minifigures can hold them (I can only assume they do).

That egg may be the only good thing I see. I hope that LEGO uses it in an architectural way sometime, seeing as I won't be buying these sets just for an egg. Perhaps the builds will be amazing and surprising. Maybe.

Such odd minifigures, if you can call them that. I do enjoy playing around with different ways to use big fig and non traditional minifig parts though, so maybe these will prove useful there...

These are definitely... different. I sort of like them though. The pig's ears look sort of awkward with the stud in the front. The birds are looking pretty good, however. I just wish these sets were game based instead of movie based.

The more "liked" comment in the picture on LEGO facebook page says it all:

Just because it can be made out of LEGO,doesn't mean it should be!

theres some pretty expensive names in the credits on that trailer... wonder how much of a success the film will be?

as to the sets, i likely wont bother, but will decide when we can see the pieces more clearly. those eggs would be great in an easter display [see, there i am talking myself into it already!!]

how big will these sets be do you think?

the whole point of Angry Birds level design is destructible scenery to smash the pigs, and the point of Lego is to build/connect parts to each other, so will we get one or two play functions in each set, or will the "levels" involve us building sets of little brick-built "pieces" (i.e. lots of timber frames/platforms) with SNOT techniques and balancing them on each other?

the only way I can see Lego melding the two concepts is perhaps using a load of Technic parts to make a scene which can be built as a "stable" piece, and flying the birds will involve lever actions to destroy it all etc?

how big will these sets be do you think?

the whole point of Angry Birds level design is destructible scenery to smash the pigs,

As far as I understand the Lego sets will be based on the movie, not the game.

I think not including a slingshot in these sets to launch the birds would be a failure on Legos part. Not sure how "launching" will play out in the movie, but brand recognition is a big factor for this and when people think Angry Birds, they think slingshot + birds + pigs. They probably won't care if the sets are related to the movie or not. We'll have to see how they turn out though. Who knows, they might be well designed and successful even if you can't launch them.

Uh, Q: must I boycott this theme? And must I convince enough people to boycott this theme?

As far as I understand the Lego sets will be based on the movie, not the game.

Well, obviously, but since the movie is based on the game, the sets ultimately are based on that, too, just indirectly (i.e., through the movie).

Moreover, it seems inconceivable that the major action in the movie won't be based around the gameplay mechanic, and thus one would expect the LEGO sets to incorporate this as well.

These characters remind me of the Toy Story minifigures.

You take that back! :tongue:

Uh, Q: must I boycott this theme? And must I convince enough people to boycott this theme?

Crazy idea here, but bear with me: how about only buying the sets you like, and letting other people buy the sets they like? If you don't like these sets, don't buy them. But I'm sure other people will like them, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Angry Birds sets being made doesn't have any effect on other themes, so if you don't like these, I'm sure you can find something else to spend your money on instead.

Trying to organize a boycott of a theme, based solely on disliking the set design or source material, sounds like one of the pettiest things I've ever seen an AFOL propose. There's nothing about Angry Birds that should make it any less appropriate for Lego than Star Wars, or the Simpsons, or DC Comics. This attitude of "I don't personally like this, so it shouldn't exist" in the community needs to go away.

This attitude of "I don't personally like this, so it shouldn't exist" in the community needs to go away.

The irony here is bamboozling.

As someone who was barely aware that something like AB existed. I m rather nonplussed about this. But like others, I do like that egg - it has whetted my appetite for more parts like this.

I'm excited for the egg part, too. I wonder where it will show up in other themes...

The figures are okay, but I have no interest in them.

The egg is probably the most interesting thing we have seen so far in this theme.

The irony here is bamboozling.

Yeah, I can see how I phrased that badly. How about "AFOLs need to stop making everything about themselves"? Because it's a serious problem within the community.