Lordofdragonss

Angry Birds 2016 Rumors & Discussion

I think the filter was changed years ago as part of an April Fools thing and was just never changed back. I appreciate everyone's patience until an Admin can get it removed.

I never got into the game, and will probably skip the movie, but am hopeful for some interesting parts for future MOCs.

Please remember that 3D animation takes years to produce, and that the movie and Lego's licensing deal may have been conceived five or more years ago. I have listened to enough Pixar movie commentaries to know that it can take 5+ years just in the actual making of one of these movies. 3D animation is very much like stop-motion animation, but takes much longer. Add in property rights and other media tie-ins, and it might been even longer.

so is this theme based on only the movie or the entire franchise, because I would love to see some Grumpy Sparrows Star Wars sets and Grumpy Sparrows Transformers sets.

so is this theme based on only the movie or the entire franchise, because I would love to see some Grumpy Sparrows Star Wars sets and Grumpy Sparrows Transformers sets.

It could easily be based on the franchise as a whole, but there's no way in hell we're ever going to get A n g r y B i r d s Transformers sets, considering that's a Hasbro property. Star Wars is possible but also unlikely.

It's bizarre to me that people think Angry Birds is somehow too old to be a LEGO theme. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings, Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Speed Racer, The Lone Ranger, Prince of Persia, Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mickey Mouse & friends, Winnie the Pooh, Disney Princess, The Big Bang Theory, Jurassic Park, Doctor Who, WALL·E, Scooby-Doo, The Simpsons, and The Wizard of Oz were or will be all older than Angry Birds at the times they launched or will launch as LEGO sets and themes. I don't see people fixating on how many decades old they are...

(Somebody PLEASE fix the filter!)

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Thought the filter was fixed but no now I'm a Grumpy Sparrow :damn:

Edited by SMC

Well, for me, as an avid Angry Birds player, my favourite app game (well, it's the ONLY app franchise I have ever been interested in) combined with my favourite hobby is great to see. My main concern will be the execution though. If it's based on the game(s), then the only playset I can imagine really working is something akin to Minecraft's Crafting Box, where you can make your own structures. And we'd probably get new moulds for each of the birds.

If it's based on the movie, then while there'll be no problem getting content worthy of sets, we're going to get actual minifigures of the birds, which look like this in the movie (sorry if this might be a little oversized):

ABMoviePoster-640x765.png

There's only one emoticon for Angry Birds minifigures: :sick: I'm hoping LEGO does sets based on the app game, but we'll probably end up seeing both...

Interestingly, the main Angry Birds fan website were a little late posting the announcement, but I'll leave it here for those curious of what people who are all fans of Angry Birds think. Be warned: as with all non-LEGO sites talking about LEGO, it uses "Legos" a lot :sadnew:

EDIT: The filter... :ugh:

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

Seriously, who would buy this kind of stuff?

Me. If my kid or one of his friends asks for it as a Birthday Gift. Or Christmas.

Aunts and Uncles and other people who love their nieces and nephews

Hrm... Did they explicitly state construction sets? Perhaps an Angry Birds CMF series would be viable, although there's not nearly enough characters in the app for 16 unique birds, unless they introduce more for the movie or make variants...

Hrm... Did they explicitly state construction sets? Perhaps an Angry Birds CMF series would be viable, although there's not nearly enough characters in the app for 16 unique birds, unless they introduce more for the movie or make variants...

Construction sets would make the most sense considering how easy it is to assemble and disassemble with Lego. I could see sets with lots of beams and pillars only being connected by one or two studs making them come apart really easy when you fire a bird at them. I dunno if a CMF would be that popular considering the birds limited features.

It'd be nice to see these little guys made. A whole new kind of GBC might be built just for them!

Blue_birds_2.png

That makes 3 then :grin:

May I join you? It's getting a little crowded in that corner though :laugh:

B2T: Interesting choice for a new license, but in my book, the lack of minifigs is quite a bummer :hmpf_bad: Yet I'm still excited to see what they'll come up with in terms of set designs :thumbup:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Interesting idea, and as for achieving 16 unique figures, well, variants are the way to go. You can have the classic birds, then have their variants as they appear in apps like Space or even Epic (the Angry Birds RPG). If they can even integrate Star Wars into the Angry Birds license, you could get 2 CMF series just out of the AB Star Wars games... they can make 16 new moulds for Simpsons CMF's so 16 new moulds for AB CMF's is not out of the question.

And as for people saying this theme will lack minifigures, that might not necessarily be the case if they do movie centric sets, as the birds are given arms and legs and could theoretically be rendered as minifigs. See the last post I made :wink:

B2T: Interesting choice for a new license, but in my book, the lack of minifigs is quite a bummer :hmpf_bad: Yet I'm still excited to see what they'll come up with in terms of set designs :thumbup:

Lets just say it's a big corner :grin:

My bet is that they are going to do minfigs, but Spongebob style and with Dwarf legs

I was a Legend of Zelda fan back in the day so count me in also. :classic:

Edited by Ordinareo

:thumbdown:

(Joins Tolkien in the corner.)

Hey, at least Middle-Earth got a goodly amount of stuff. I know it's not as much as the theme could have gotten, and many significant characters and whatnot are still missing, but all told it really did get a lot. I think Star Wars and Harry Potter might be the only licensed themes that have really gotten more, although the Marvel and DC universes are closing in on it fast if they haven't passed it already.

Interesting idea, and as for achieving 16 unique figures, well, variants are the way to go. You can have the classic birds, then have their variants as they appear in apps like Space or even Epic (the Angry Birds RPG). If they can even integrate Star Wars into the Angry Birds license, you could get 2 CMF series just out of the AB Star Wars games... they can make 16 new moulds for Simpsons CMF's so 16 new moulds for AB CMF's is not out of the question.

Uh wait, have you guys really gone check the official site? There is currently a subseries called Angry Birds Stella which introduced more new characters last year. And beside the bird characters, the pig variations are usually considered different individuals and they may fill the spaces. So variations for one single birdy hero would be unnecssary in a single blind pack series. Excluding Terrence, a possible list of 16 would be:

1 Red

2 Bomb

3 Chuck

4 Matilda

5 Triplets

6 Bubbles

7 King Pig

8 Foreman Pig

9 Minion Pig

10 Corporal Pig

11 Stella

12 Poppy

13 Willow

14 Luca

15 Dahlia

16 Princess Gale

But like other said, it's not confirmed whether the original series would be the main theme for LEGO. So far we only see Red, Chuck and Bomb in the movie promo, the others aren't really confirmed, and the movie could be considered a different canon from the official cartoon series. The other chance is that the original license is still owned by Hasbro while the movie license is exclusive to LEGO.

Edited by Dorayaki

Testing to see if the filter is still active:

Angry Birds

Edit: huzzah!

Edited by Blondie-Wan

*loads of text*

I simply forgot about Stella, but that's probably because I have a certain frustration with that app refusing to work properly on my 4th gen iPod :tongue:

Other birds that could be present in a CMF series (that official list, believe it or not, is incomplete, but whether that's because they have been discontinued I don't know) include Hal (Boomerang Bird), and maybe the Mighty Eagle (in fact, I can see ME being a set on it's own, not as a CMF). I can see Bubbles having two variants alone, one uninflated and one inflated. Unless LEGO makes the first inflatable LEGO piece of course, but that's unlikely.

And I knew Foreman Pig simply as "Mustache Pig", so guess I learnt something today :laugh:

Hey, at least Middle-Earth got a goodly amount of stuff. I know it's not as much as the theme could have gotten, and many significant characters and whatnot are still missing, but all told it really did get a lot. I think Star Wars and Harry Potter might be the only licensed themes that have really gotten more, although the Marvel and DC universes are closing in on it fast if they haven't passed it already.

I think Marvel and DC have blown LotR out of the water. Almost every Marvel movie get's at least 2-3 sets, with the last Avengers movie getting 5? According to Brickset, DC and Marvel have over 50 sets released... each. Of course that number includes promos and polybags and such, but that's still over 30 normal sets per theme. LotR only got 12 and the Hobbit got 14. That's not to say there aren't a lot of Middle-Earth themed sets, it's just Middle-Earth is fairly expansive so it feels like Lego left a lot out. I could have easily seen them going four or five waves with LotR alone and still not including anything remotely similar in their sets.

To get back on topic, I just can't see Lego doing a CMF series for Angry Birds. Why would they focus on one of the less appealing aspects of the game with a CMF when Lego is perfectly suited for all the launching of birds and destruction of the environment?! Heck, Lego puts flick fire missiles and catapults in pretty much every set they possibly can, even when it makes no sense. They will put a flick fire missile in the middle of a random wall to fit one into a set. With Angry Birds they could actually play up their flick fire missiles and catapults by having the birds fire at sets and knock them over. The sets could then be re-constructed in different ways. Why would Lego pass that chance up to focus on the birds who are mostly just round balls in a CMF series?

Edited by Deathleech

I simply forgot about Stella, but that's probably because I have a certain frustration with that app refusing to work properly on my 4th gen iPod :tongue:

Other birds that could be present in a CMF series (that official list, believe it or not, is incomplete, but whether that's because they have been discontinued I don't know) include Hal (Boomerang Bird), and maybe the Mighty Eagle (in fact, I can see ME being a set on it's own, not as a CMF). I can see Bubbles having two variants alone, one uninflated and one inflated. Unless LEGO makes the first inflatable LEGO piece of course, but that's unlikely.

Oops. :tongue: Well both Mighty Eagle and Hal aren't considered recurring members in the cartoon series, which is why they're not in the introduction page. As said, not sure if the movie canon would keep the same flock roster.
To get back on topic, I just can't see Lego doing a CMF series for Angry Birds. Why would they focus on one of the less appealing aspects of the game with a CMF when Lego is perfectly suited for all the launching of birds and destruction of the environment?! Heck, Lego puts flick fire missiles and catapults in pretty much every set they possibly can, even when it makes no sense. They will put a flick fire missile in the middle of a random wall to fit one into a set. With Angry Birds they could actually play up their flick fire missiles and catapults by having the birds fire at sets and knock them over. The sets could then be re-constructed in different ways. Why would Lego pass that chance up to focus on the birds who are mostly just round balls in a CMF series?

Well just check K'Nex's example, LEGO may add classic items to the blind bags. The premise is that the sets are able to afford most items and main flock, otherwise, CMF series is considered the best aid of introducing new molds. Edited by Dorayaki