Sign in to follow this  

Note: Chronologically this occurs before most of the other G08 builds.

Tags: science, exploration

//"Log date 319, this is Dr. Danielle Long, recording from the sink-hole riddled dune seas of Planet G08, or, Xerillian. Orbital sensors detected massive biomass readings, however, our efforts to uncover the source of these readings have been futile up until now. Tomorrow we will begin testing our new hand-held Biomass detectors, in effort to figure out where these readings are coming from... Dr. Long Signing off."//

//Log date 320, this is Dr. Danielle Long. I am accompanying a pair of Octancorp brand troops, who will be testing our corporation's latest invention: The handheld Biomass detector. Signing off for now."//

//"This is Dr. Long with a status update. It's coming from underground. I've tasked the troopers to investigate one of these sinkholes, and the readings are getting stronger. I suspect that the life on this planet is hidden beneath the dune seas.... Wait... Something's moving! The creature seems arthropod-like in form... resembling an earth lobster or scorpion."

"Trooper, grab that specimen for me! I wish to inspect it's xenophysiology in my lab!"

"Log note: There are more of them now... crawling out of the sinkhole... wow. They just keep coming..."

"Trooper! Grab that specimen quickly! Let's observe this from a safe distance!"

Trooper1: "Ah! What the Yetornius! They're everywhere! Shit! it bit me!"

"....How does it feel?"

Trooper1: "I... I can't feel anything! My whole leg's numb! Ah! There's more! make it stop! Make it stop!"

"Fascinating... Log note: These creatures seem to induce a numbing effect upon biting would-be-prey."

Trooper2: "..."

"I need to attend to this matter. Dr. Long signing off."//

18394244580_1e348eab89_z.jpg

"Grab me a sample you blithering fools!"

18394230040_9a00244bf2_z.jpg

Swarm Behavior

17961271583_1c8281be05_z.jpg

The desert without the SPET or Dr. Long. (Those Trooper's are toast!)

So, I didn't have time this week to build a new ship, but luckily the SPET (Scientific Personnel and Equipment Transport was still kicking around from last week. Those "dunes" were a pain in the rear to figure out, and I think in the future I'll use a different technique than the interwoven round snot you see here, but hey, I'm a scientist, and science is about throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks! :wink: Also, this gives me a chance to show off one of the SPET's unseen features:

Opening cockpit:

18584051921_9caa8aa377.jpg

So, remember kids! Science is written by the survivors:

17959277244_b7ca7aab2f.jpg

Yes this was all just a sneaky way to brag about my sexy scorpion collection. :grin: My babies... :wub: This isn't even all of them either... :look:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Eeek! Should I be alarmed about the mad scientist who keeps that many scorpions? Remind me to watch my step on any field trips with Dr. Long...

I really like the swarming effect, in all seriousness. Very good indeed.

Gotta be impressed by all those scorpions! Not the kinda place I'd like to be exploring in! Very nice work on that pit too!

It's good to see that there'still someone who appreciates field research, even if she works for another corporation.

Awesome build.

Edited by Ferdinando

Sand technique is pretty great. Looks like real rolling dunes - like the wind is blowing. Those poor grunts. :cry_sad: I love the shape of the hole too!

Great work, the hole is really well done. Glad I found a more pleasing spot to explore! :laugh:

Thanks all! :blush:

Eeek! Should I be alarmed about the mad scientist who keeps that many scorpions? Remind me to watch my step on any field trips with Dr. Long...

I really like the swarming effect, in all seriousness. Very good indeed.

I'm the mad scientist. Dr. Long is highly rational and not prone to illogical behavior. She fills out all the proper forms and signs all the proper paperwork. She also writes excellent lab reports, and employee casualty/expenditure reports. She is a cog in the great gear of big-business-funded science. :smug:

:laugh:

Thanks! I wish I could find my other dozen scorpions. I can't remember where I put them, and the attic in which I work is a mess right now. :sceptic:

It's good to see that there'still someone who appreciates field research, even if she works for another corporation.

Awesome build.

Xenobiology is a field of research in which field research is completely crucial! We are the Darwins of our time, and Science knows no borders, nor any laws apart from those physical ones of nature!

:oh3: That is a LOT of scorpions! Great build, I really like that sand technique :thumbup:

Sand technique is pretty great. Looks like real rolling dunes - like the wind is blowing. Those poor grunts. :cry_sad: I love the shape of the hole too!

Thanks! :wub: I do like the sand technique... I just don't think I'm using it in a build that displays its full potential. It would be much better in a build displaying actual dunes, as opposed to a hole in said dunes. I also must attribute the technique actually looking good in this build to the criticism from Lucaslaughing, who really helped me incorporate it into the build. I may show the technique off in a future build better than I did here, but who knows.

Meh, the grunts were relatively cheap. Not too much of a net-loss considering that they enabled me to research the effects of this alien's venom on a living human subject. :look: They were wearing red anyways. It was inevitable. :tongue:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Nice build, and great landscaping!

An obsession with dangerous aliens and a callous disregard for human life - we'll make a M.A.N.T.I.S. scientist of you yet :grin:

Nice build, and great landscaping!

An obsession with dangerous aliens and a callous disregard for human life - we'll make a M.A.N.T.I.S. scientist of you yet :grin:

Thanks! :wink:

Sorry to disappoint, but she's more of a Hal than a Glados. Although she is just a bit more of a Ash than a Ripley. Yet, she's MUCH more of a Meredith Vickers than a David or any of the "scientists" aboard that ship.

She dots her "i"s and crosses her "t"s, and those letters stand for Octan Corporation, rather than M.A.N.I.T.S. :poke:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Excellent rock work and sand! I love the story! I'm glad Dr. Long hasn't sent Pombe on anything that dangerous...yet... :look:

As soon as I saw this, my first thought was: "Sarlaac pit". :tongue: Great feeling!

That snot-ted pit technique is awesome! And the story is funny and scary at the same time. "wow. They just keep coming..." :laugh:

So many scorpions :oh::wub:

Awsome snot sinkhole! Also, love the scorpions attacking Octan Corp. employees. :devil:

Thanks! In response to your reply in Bob's build: I may have let my plans to do something with my scorpion collection slip to some other Octan builders this week. :grin:

As soon as I saw this, my first thought was: "Sarlaac pit". :tongue: Great feeling!

That snot-ted pit technique is awesome! And the story is funny and scary at the same time. "wow. They just keep coming..." :laugh:

So many scorpions :oh::wub:

Thanks! I'll admit, I was feeling that too while building it! :grin:

and thanks for noticing the scary aspect I was trying to convey. Comedic sociopathy aside, this scene is terrifying for the soldiers, and even Dr. Long. She was not expecting this, and she doesn't work with human beings all that often either. :wink:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Quite a lot of scorpions there! Nice landscaping as well, I like the studs out approach on the side! :thumbup: