Bugroll.

Actually, this model took both a full year and just two days to make. We built the first prototype at my place about a year ago, just to see if it could be done. It could. In the mean time, I had been thinking about how to add steering to it, but the result was so bulky that it just wouldn't roll anymore. So, when I stayed over at his place a week ago, we finished and filmed the build.

In case you want to take a look at the internals, there's an LXF file here: http://vayamenda.com/lxf/bugroll.lxf Edited by mahjqa

Cool little machine you have there :classic: Did the ground have to be wet for it to get a good roll or was that just coincidental? And what makes it roll, is it because it has a high centre of gravity or something?

Actually, the wet ground causes the wheels to slip, which means it won't roll over at all. (The final shot, where it just brakes in front of the camera, was done on slippery asphalt)

A high center of gravity helps a lot to keep it going, but for best results it should be in the exact center of the vehicle. If it's too far up, it won't keep rolling, and get stuck on its back.

I'm so glad you are building more again! Your vehicles are always so clever and creatively built.

How was the rolling shot done? Was it a not-rolling wider shot you cropped and rotated accordingly? Or did you do some mad rotating camera rig?

The rolling shot was rotated on the computer. I had to zoom in a fair bit, which is why that shot is a bit blurrier than the rest.

That is pretty cool.. I've seen some redneck videos from here in the states of people doing that with real cars.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is great! Getting the weight in just the right spot must have been a challenge.

It's funny that you posted this too, because I was contemplating an attempt to build the rollgolf.

Boo, rolling the shot in computer is cheating!! :tongue: I really wanted to see what insane rig you'd use to do that. :laugh: But, in all seriousness, this is once again an amazing video, and an amazing MOC. I actually hope to build it myself, but probably in a different color, as I have no light blue parts.

Wait a second, where did you get those light blue 3x11 flat panels? Last time I checked, those don't come in that color. Did you paint them, or bargain with somebody in Lego? Or, is it another computer effect? :wink:

Edited by Saberwing40k

Congratulations, this is really the kind of achievement that I love !

And thank you for the lxf file.

dhc6twinotter;

it was kind of odd, typically weight distribution doesn't have that much of an impact.

Saberwing40k;

I believe the computer got the job done better than a camera rig would. Well, I say the computer did it, but I still had to manually rotate the movie frames to make sure it came out right.

The panels are painted, sadly. It's not something I'd usually do, but it was too sweet an opportunity to pass up on. I console myself with the fact that I didn't functionally alter the parts, so anyone can still build this.

BusterHaus;

what's not to be trusted about these parts? They grip as well as tires do. Also, I secured them on both sides, so they can't slip off their axles.

Edited by mahjqa

You always wonder us with amazing creations :thumbup:

There is a russian fairy tale "Kolobok". It is similar to smile, but It was born long before smile. It is about little round piece of bread (or something cooked), who think that he was the smartest dude. But he was stupid. He died. Foxy did it. But in my memory he is always smiling

kolobok.jpg

p.s.You can upgrade Bugroll to "The Critters edition" :grin:

Saberwing40k;

I believe the computer got the job done better than a camera rig would. Well, I say the computer did it, but I still had to manually rotate the movie frames to make sure it came out right.

The panels are painted, sadly. It's not something I'd usually do, but it was too sweet an opportunity to pass up on. I console myself with the fact that I didn't functionally alter the parts, so anyone can still build this.

Hmm, interesting. The reason why I asked is because the paint job you did was so good, I would have never guessed. Might you post a tutorial on how you got the color and surface to match the official Lego parts so well?

This is real cool , I have seen the cars on you tube that really do this so funny .

I love how you always have interesting mechanisms in your build, your tachikoma is still my favorite none car Technic moc !

For your steering problem did you try place a medium motor upright in the front axel , this would help with the wight so it might be able to roll.

I might give it a go once i finish my build queue . Between work , studying and family visiting I don't get enough time for lego . I took me almost a month to build Brunojj1 Ferrari 458 Spider

Hmm, interesting. The reason why I asked is because the paint job you did was so good, I would have never guessed. Might you post a tutorial on how you got the color and surface to match the official Lego parts so well?

I didn't do it myself, I had it done by someone who works with scale models. For reasons I won't get into they won't be sharing their methods with me or anyone else. I suppose your best bet would be to ask at a store where they sell supplies for scale modelers.

Sorry about that.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this is awesome! I actually thought about doing EXACTLY this a few years ago, inspired by the real life version:

but I didn't really know how to start - you guys beat me to it!

I was planning to use these Znap parts:

32216.jpg

and I'd still be interested to see if that is possible...

Edited by aeh5040