Sign in to follow this  
BMW

Brickworld Chicago 2015 Train Stuff

For those train fans attending Brickworld 2015, don't miss the special train-related activities this year. We also have a few excellent new operating layouts and equipment too. See you at Brickworld Chicago 2015 in 1.5 weeks !

Technique Presentation: Modeling with ME Models Track

Led by Anthony Sava

A presentation and demonstration on ballasting and installing the new third party ME Models train track in train displays. Come see for yourself how the ME Models track compares to official LEGO track, and hear accounts of real world experience with how they perform. A question and answer period will follow.

Community Presentation: Railbricks

Led by Cale Leiphart

Railbricks (the online magazine for LEGO Train fans) will conduct a special presentation. Cale, a contributor to the magazine, will take you through Railbrick’s history and also tell you how you can contribute to the magazine. He will also tell you where Railbricks is and its future plans. Find out about this great magazine and how you can be part of it!

Technique Presentation: Model Railroading with Bricks

Led by Michael Gale and Cale Leiphart

Can the brick serve as a viable medium for traditional scale and prototype model railroading? On the surface, it seems counter-intuitive given the relatively coarse geometry and limited palette of elements available. However; in practice, many builders are creating model trains and layouts with dazzling and sublime levels of scale prototype fidelity. In this session, we will review the current state-of-the-art in the model train theme. We will make the case for legitimizing brick built model trains among the traditional "scale" standards. In doing so, we will highlight the challenges we face in this hobby and then explore remedies and opportunities in the face of these challenges. We will conclude by looking to the future - we believe it is a hobby with great potential and unique advantages. Most importantly, it is great fun!

.............Bad weekend for me.

I get off Sat morning at 5am and Botcon is in St. Charles as well.

Would not mind seeing this stuff in person however.

Hopefully my presentation doesn't bore to tears. :P

I plan to set up one of my ME Corner Modules during the presentation, which in total probably won't last more than 20 minutes.

--Tony

Hopefully my presentation doesn't bore to tears. :P

I plan to set up one of my ME Corner Modules during the presentation, which in total probably won't last more than 20 minutes.

--Tony

Might be worth filming it and post on your Flickr for all of us who aren't able to go there for various reasons (like being to bloody far away). At least who ever is interested in it can watch it and learn

^ Oh yes please. I would love to see Tony's presentation but Chicago is not possible for me.

It is a shame that I will not be able to make this event this summer. I wonder what it would take for Cale to do an encore performance of his presentations after Brickworld for those of us that are not fortunate enough to make it??? We have an AFOL night event coming up in July in southeastern PA at a venue that has a large screen and a projector......

Hmmmm........

Time to post on another message board and see what happens.

Edited by cgarison

Hmmmm If I was stupid and cut short my sleep(night shift), would a 5 yr old boy be entertained at Brickworld for a few hours?

I try taking him out to everything we can, Sat. might be doable that way

Hmmmm If I was stupid and cut short my sleep(night shift), would a 5 yr old boy be entertained at Brickworld for a few hours?

If you are talking a normal boy both in terms of tolerance and interest in lego, almost certainly yes for the public hours. Though you will risk adjusting his expectations for lego that much further beyond what any normal person could afford (grin).

If you are talking a normal boy both in terms of tolerance and interest in lego, almost certainly yes for the public hours. Though you will risk adjusting his expectations for lego that much further beyond what any normal person could afford (grin).

That's the part that worries me. We've built most available sets together train wise for the last 2 years plus a home brew Emerald Night and custom cars, etc.

I just don't know if I can squeeze it in and am in a money squeeze on house projects, final push to finish my 91 Formula(he's my car sidekick too). Have to get my butt up and get out there, it's about a hour drive for me. Then Sunday is Botcon in St Charles................ I been running in circles for weeks now.

Would love to meet a few of you guys though. I need someone to blame spending so much money on :laugh:

Aghhhhhhhhhh! Who schedules the times for these things?????? 4pm on a Sat and 3pm on a Sun.? It's like people who do cruise nights and start them at 5pm like people don't have jobs...... If I can get my butt up I will try and head out, hard to do when u get home at 5:30AM. (Times for the Indy show are more normal, why short Chicago hours?)

Edited by v6TransAM

Wasn't able to make it.

Anyone have some pics and follow ups to share?

I think Zephyr1934 has some photos of BrickWorld in his Brickshelf folder.

I think Zephyr1934 has some photos of BrickWorld in his Brickshelf folder.

Yes, day one is here for the moment, but it will be moving to join day two here once moderated. Scraps of day three and four will be uploaded later this week.

Train quote of the show, "saved by the princess train" (which, incidentally, went on to be chosen as best train).

Michael Gale's layout and PennLUG's roundhouse were the stars of the show in my opinion, though there were lots of great trains throughout (photos of most scattered throughout the above links)

Brickworld Chicago 2015 was an exceptional show for Lego Train enthusiasts. I'll defer to Ben's pics ( http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=556974 ) but there so many great trains its hard to highlight any one. the highlights below. Edward Chang's colorful pink train themed for Disney Princesses won Best Train. It may not prototype ... but is VERY create and wildly popular with the crowds. Michael Gale brought his excellent DCC British layout. Pennlug Roundhouse has amazing size, angles, and detail. Nate brought his remarkable Erie Triplex which features three sets of drivers and "Russian Iron" boiler sheet. Jim Pirzk brought his "City of New Orleans" with it's brown, yellow livery which just makes you start whistling the song. Tony Sava kindly donated one of his American 4-4-0 steamers for the charity auction. Kyle Petersen built a very artistic Jules Verne train for the "Around the World in 80 Days" collaborative. This same display had another rather well-done Back to the Future train by Matt (Harmon?). Ben Coifman brought a wonderful green passenger train too. These are just some of the highlights. There were many, many more well-done trains so sorry to those I've left off this list.

Yes, day one is here for the moment, but it will be moving to join day two here once moderated. Scraps of day three and four will be uploaded later this week.

Okay, the new folder with day two photos is up and now all of my brickworld 2015 photos are now in this folder (I will add a few from day 3 and 4 at some point, but not much more). Meanwhile, the older folder from the older post will be going away soon.

I have uploaded my Power Point presentation here:

Gallery:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=557138

Deeplink:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/savatheaggie/trains/ME-Models-Rails/modeling_with_me.pptx

It contains a couple of videos that are also located in the same folder - I don't think the videos are actually in the Power Point.

--Tony

I have uploaded my Power Point presentation here:

Thanks for sharing, all sorts of great info on ballasting ME curves can be found in that presentation.

Community Presentation: Railbricks

Led by Cale Leiphart

Railbricks (the online magazine for LEGO Train fans) will conduct a special presentation. Cale, a contributor to the magazine, will take you through Railbrick’s history and also tell you how you can contribute to the magazine. He will also tell you where Railbricks is and its future plans. Find out about this great magazine and how you can be part of it!

If anyone attended the Railbrick's community presentation, would they care to share the gist of the discussion?

Regards,

David

Has any one come up with a method of determining which studs line up underneath when using the wide radius turns? I'd like to connect mine in a few places.

Is it sad I blow thru the non train pics to check out the train stuff?

Next year I will definitely find a way to make it.

If anyone attended the Railbrick's community presentation, would they care to share the gist of the discussion?

Cale presented his thoughts as he takes over as editor for RB. He wants to increase the frequency of issues and really listened to what other attendees wanted to see. Ideas discussed included prototype articles, more building instructions, and theme issues.

- BMW