Cjd223

Prequel Trilogy UCS Sets

Ok, so I recently just watched the prequel trilogy again in its entirety and later noticed the lack of UCS prequel sets. Now I know that this trilogy is far less liked by a lot of huge Star Wars fans, but the vehicles themselves are quite nice. For example, Lego could produce a UCS version of either (Or perhaps both) a Venator Class Star Destroyer, or a UCS Invisible Hand, both of which would be the same size, or bigger than 10030. If Lego did this, I'm sure that the shelves would be cleared of these sets because the vehicles are quite nice and people would want them because of the size and the UCS Factor. Another vehicle that I truly want made is a huge (Like 5,000+ pieces) Droid Control Ship/Battleship, as the design would be awesome, and the size would be great too. Those three vehicles are just the beginning of what could be a prolific UCS wave(s).

Ok, so I recently just watched the prequel trilogy again in its entirety and later noticed the lack of UCS prequel sets. Now I know that this trilogy is far less liked by a lot of huge Star Wars fans, but the vehicles themselves are quite nice. For example, Lego could produce a UCS version of either (Or perhaps both) a Venator Class Star Destroyer, or a UCS Invisible Hand, both of which would be the same size, or bigger than 10030. If Lego did this, I'm sure that the shelves would be cleared of these sets because the vehicles are quite nice and people would want them because of the size and the UCS Factor. Another vehicle that I truly want made is a huge (Like 5,000+ pieces) Droid Control Ship/Battleship, as the design would be awesome, and the size would be great too. Those three vehicles are just the beginning of what could be a prolific UCS wave(s).

I agree. I personally can enjoy all the good things in the prequels (previously mentioned vehicles, costume design, saber duels, Ewan McGregor, etc.) despite the bad parts, and I think the ships are under-appreciated, and we need more than just Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter in UCS set form.

While i semi agree, that there may be potential for nice ucs sets (Anios AAT is a nice example), i think the fact too many people are sooo anti PT that they would cut their nose to spite their face, and turn down getting a nice UCS set purely because it is from the PT.That is the 'impression' i get from seeing some peoples disdain of the PT and only collecting OT sets, despite the fact they actually did some nice sets like the AT-TE, and the RGS's, and the drop ship, general grievous' ship, i also think the previous iteration of the N1 was pretty good, but each to their own.

I do think however the droid control ship would look pretty boring. The DSII is only 'nice' because it is iconic (I dont actually like it, I think it is bland. Not because of Legos design of it, but it is just a big ball with bits missing.) Now the droid ship, is like a grey donut with a bite out of it, and a ball in the middle. Not really much you can do with that, other than a couple antennas on the top of the ball...

Edited by Fuppylodders

I think Lego reasons the OT-fans are usually older, have more money and are drawn to big models, rather than toys.

However I see another problem: The PT-vehicles were usually not featured prominently enough compared to the OT-vehicles. The Falcon was kind of a home and central to three movies, the X-Wing remained the prime starfighter for three movies, the TIE was the main threat for three movies etc.

Many vehicles from the PT were seen for a very short time. We have seen four different Naboo Royal Starships for Padme (or her decoy) in three movies, and those were the more memorable ones. The screen time of V-Wings can be measured in seconds. While the PT-vehicles make excellent models and are extremely well designed, thus being perfectly suited for an UCS set, many lack the icon-factor.

I personally would love to have PT UCS sets, especially the Republic Gunship!

Because, according to a Lego Designer quoted elsewhere in this theme, there are usually only up to two UCS sets issued in any Lego series, and Star Wars gets the significant majority of all UCS sets anyway, there are limited opportunities to issue sets from across the film spectrum. On the one hand, while I agree with Fuppylodders that the PT is less appreceated than the OT, I disagree that people would shun the sets as a result. I didn't buy the Jedi Starfighter because I just didn't think it was at all impressive. Very dull in fact. Likewise, I'm not interested in the UCS SSD, but because it is a bad representation. Admittedly, my own MOC of the Executor would be hard to pitch as a UCS kit, but it could have been done a lot better. [Perhaps I should just go ahead a prove it at some point.]

But I would leap at the chance of a good Venator UCS model. However, Lego are up against some very tallented MOC builders and there are some excellent Venator models out there already, so I'd say they missed the boat on that one.

Elsewhere I've suggested a Sith Infiltrator, but that was before I head about the new model this year - so no chance of that then. But I would go for a UCS ARC-170, or a Jedi Interceptor (which would necessarily be in a different scale to Minifigs because it is already a compact vessel).

. . . You could also argue that Slave 1 was a PT ship.

Of course, the beaurty of a UCS Jedi Interceptor is that you have two featured in the PT franchise, one red(ish) - Obi Wan, and one yellow - Anakin. Design the ship once then release it in the two colours . . . I can feel my credit card sweating and cursing me for even tinking it. :wink:

Edited by NNOPMOC

I too would have to unload my wallet on two UCS Jedi interceptors if they released

I think Lego reasons the OT-fans are usually older, have more money and are drawn to big models, rather than toys.

Very likely. And I bet that, as PT audiences/fans "mature", there will be more chances of UCS vehicles in the future.

I'd like to see some UCS sets from the Prequel Trilogy. TPM in particular had some very memoriable ships and vehicles to pick from - the Naboo Fighter, Droid Control Ship, Trade Federation Landing Craft, AAT, MTT, Vulture Droid, Queen Amidala's Starship, the podracers... even the Sith Infiltrator despite its limited screentime.

Some UCS playsets would be nice too. Who doesn't want a Theed Palace, Geonosian Arena or Jedi Temple?

There aren't many, but have been a few UCS and "UCS-ish" sets from the prequels:

Naboo Fighter

Jedi starfighter

Republic Dropship w/ AT-OT

Darth Maul bust

General Grievous

... and, arguably, R2-D2 (who really represents the entire overall saga, after all)

... and, similarly, Yoda (even if the packaging was not just OT but Episode V-specific)

There is, of course, opportunity for plenty more, but there's clearly more demand for OT sets in this realm. The imagery of those movies is more iconic, and the particular market segment most capable of buying UCS sets is overwhelmingly more interested in the OT.

There is, of course, opportunity for plenty more, but there's clearly more demand for OT sets in this realm. The imagery of those movies is more iconic, and the particular market segment most capable of buying UCS sets is overwhelmingly more interested in the OT.

I don't know if you are basing this on marketing information from TLG, but again I make the point that if the set is good and interesting people will not care that it is PT rather than OT. I submit that Lego is bought as much by Lego enthusiasts as by film enthusiasts. I mean, how many people who buy SW Lego also buy lego in other genres/themes?

UCS purchase interest will, of course, be more on OT sets as that is where the majority of UCS sets have come from (only 4 of the 23 'UCS' models have been from PT). The first UCS set was the TIE Interceptor . . . and how much screen time did that ever get? I had to think hard about that the first time I saw it on the shelves. Why wasn't it a normal TIE Fighter - to perfectly complement the X-Wing? The third UCS ship was the Tantive IV, though admittedly it is the first SW ship we ever see, it has less screen time than most others. The B-Wing fighter, though iconic in it's design, has far less screen time than the Jedi Interceptors and is individually less important than the Sith Infiltrator, or even Count Dooku's Solar Sail ship. . . IMHO

I think a UCS Jedi Interceptor could look amazing! . . . Hear me TLG Designers? *This is the next UCS ship design you are looking for* #JediMindTrick

For me a PT UCS set would have to be really exceptional to be of any interest. I would much rather see something from Cloud City, or a new Falcon/Star Destroyer/Snowspeeder.

I think the majority of adult OT fans like me actively dislike the Prequels so would not be interested in reliving the disappointment with an expensive UCS model. Agree with Flieger that the PT ships were far less prominent and (IMO) the designs were also far less interesting than the OT ships - reflective of the general lack of care and critical thought applied to all areas of the PT movies. Here's hoping JJ Abrams can revive the franchise with his reboot.

I do feel that the vulture droid would make a good UCS set. It wouldnt have to be massive, but bigger than the currejt version by about twice the size...

Hmmm... I am already 3/4 through a UCS naboo n1 (not the size of a minifig scale one, but typical size of a UCS), but got stuck and put it to one side (ldd only, due to colours). But i might finish that and crack on with a vulture droid. All those pivoting points and its transformability makes me want to make one :D

I actually would love to see a UCS droid control ship, I think the design is unique enough to stand out and has lots of details like the engines, the antenna etc and also remember that the 'arms' are two very large hollow hangers so if they detailed the interior with mini landing craft, a mini republic cruser and micro MTT's it could be quite fun to build and display.

The core could also open up to sit some minifigures in the bridge.

Edited by Bugbot2008

I too would like some more. I disliked the PT quite a bit once it came out, and pretty much had written it off for years. This all changed though when I watched Rebels recently and was then inspired to watch more (as well as find out who Ahsoka was) so went back to watch the Clone Wars animated series. Love the time period now. For at least that area of the PT timeline, the show far excels (for me) beyond the movies. It's primarily where I focus, actually, so I'd be quite happy to see more done with it.

Great topic for discussion.

Am I the only one that actually likes the 10215 set? Granted, it's not the best of the UCS line, but I always thought it was a good looking version of Obi-Wan's ship. I like the design much better than the EpIII fighters anyway. Perhaps it was the price vs size? Either way, I thought it a fun build.

I think Lego reasons the OT-fans are usually older, have more money and are drawn to big models, rather than toys....

Flieger (and a couple others) hit on this point quicker than I could post it: LEGO has a built-in fan base of fanatic adult OT fans with money burning a hole in their pockets - I'm one of them. Although I purchased and enjoyed the 10215, I'm certainly glad that the OT is the primary source for the UCS sets. A Venator would be nice I suppose, or a big Sith Infiltrator, if only to see LEGO finally get the look right :laugh:

With regard to the term 'iconic' or 'icon-factor'- I think it's as simple as time. SW fans have spent nearly four decades steeped in OT lore - the PT hasn't had that much time to stew in everyone's brain...

...thankfully :wink:

Great topic for discussion.

Am I the only one that actually likes the 10215 set? Granted, it's not the best of the UCS line, but I always thought it was a good looking version of Obi-Wan's ship. I like the design much better than the EpIII fighters anyway. Perhaps it was the price vs size? Either way, I thought it a fun build.

The Ep2 starfighters (and in a way, the Clone Wars starfighters, I guess) were fantastic designs. I never bought 10215, but I remember really wanting it.

I don't think that the PT will have time to, as you say "stew". After all, a new trilogy will be coming out in just a few months! (What will the trilogy be called?) I do hope we get some really cool new ships for UCS.

After all, a new trilogy will be coming out in just a few months! (What will the trilogy be called?)

The sequel trilogy (or ST for short), I'd imagine.

I don't know if you are basing this on marketing information from TLG, but again I make the point that if the set is good and interesting people will not care that it is PT rather than OT. I submit that Lego is bought as much by Lego enthusiasts as by film enthusiasts. I mean, how many people who buy SW Lego also buy lego in other genres/themes?

Oh, certainly - I do it myself. But at the same time, I do think people are generally more likely to buy sets when they're interested in the subject matter and not just the builds / parts.

I think I remember 10215 being on sale for £60 and umm'ed and ahhh'ed about it for ages... til it disappeared... then forgot about it. It's a nice enough looking set, but... I don't know, I just never fell in love with the ship enough to think anything of it. The 10215 is a good design, with good details. It just doesn't jump out at me though...

I kinda like 10215, but it is probably one of the most horrendously overpriced sets ever (IMO). It was worth it at 1/3rd the price.

I think they still have one at 50% off at the local shop, a bit worn from such a long life at the shelf.

The only issue that people have touched on earlier is that fellow creators have made excellent, excellent MOCs, so TLG would really have to do a great job if they wanted something for us to buy rather than doing someone else's MOC. Could this be the reason why we haven't received a UCS AT-AT or a Nebulon B?

The PT changes vehicles in each movie, so nothing stays around long enough to become memorable either. The Falcon and TIEs were in IV-VI and are extremely memorable. In the PT, the most memorable ships are still only seen briefly and in one movie. The only exception I can think of is the Slave I, which, despite being in Episode V for only a couple of seconds, is still iconic. That might be due to the character it's associated with though.

That being said, I would love a UCS Trade Federation Landing Craft, especially if it could hold 75058.

Edited by Gremer

It was worth it at 1/3rd the price.

Please, be serious...

UCS Trade Federation Landing Craft, especially if it could hold 75058.

Please, be serious... ²

I think Gremer and Flieger really hit the nail on the head in terms of I wanted to say. There are some truly iconic ships in the PT, sadly they barely get much screen time.