Sign in to follow this  
The Fezter

MOC : Space Marine Troop Dropship

After a few years of buying sets post dark ages, I began designing my own stuff in LDD. Pretty much all of them have stayed just that, an LDD file, but within the past six months I have started to actually physically build some. The following is my fourth LDD-to-physical-bricks model, and also my largest to date. So without further ado, I present my Space Marine Troop Dropship.

18277309278_3636a3ebfb_z.jpg

18465128835_1327fc85cc_z.jpg

18460845092_38f8c86e23_z.jpg

17842477684_248b6dac05_z.jpg

18465136345_8ffe82153c_z.jpg

18466927591_6ce719b04a_z.jpg

18460854832_2e63757569_z.jpg

17844451083_96062f014b_z.jpg

18277330518_420e440ccd_z.jpg

18277423350_59335976fe_z.jpg

18277337768_223e79edd8_z.jpg

18438725316_d51ae48259_z.jpg

18465157975_0430bd5187_z.jpg

I have a thing for futuristic ships, and dropships just have that something extra. The whole model took around 3 months to design, and by the time I'd finished it had ended up at a whopping 1068 pieces! Well its a lot to me anyway hah. The end cost reached roughly £120, so the purchases of elements was spilt over a couple of months.

The first part I worked on were the engines, which are actually reverse-engineered from the leg thrusters from Eris' Eagle Interceptor. From that point i worked from the front backwards. Originally the model was going to be black and grey, and although it looked awesome, I thought that a craft used by figures this bulky would not need to look 'stealthy', so therefore it got changed into classic space grey and blue. The engines can rotate from flight mode to landing mode, and two engines are located at the rear for space travel. It can hold 7 troops, 6 in the main compartment, and one in the cockpit, thought the armour had to be removed to fit him in there. At some point I want to modify the rear to include an area to store equipment, as its currently just an empty space.

Any comments or criticism is welcome, and I hope you enjoyed having a looksee.

I approve. If it were 6 months ago, I might be bugging you for the LDD file, but I went in another direction that I'm pleased with. Contractors are outside right now putting the finishing touches on my new display space at my new house, so in a few weeks I should be able to post some good pics of what I have been up to.

I went with the Galaxy Patrol marines, though. I'm a Futuron guy.

Sweet Dropship, I have a thing for anything futuristic that transports troops :D

That's a very nice dropship.

The orange window works very well with the blue and grey and looks fine with those troopers.

Maybe some ropes would be a nice addition but that's a really minor detail.

I think the color scheme works well. Totally agree that the aft space would be well used for storage. Seems a shame to have it just empty. Great build and I love seeing LDD -> bricks happen.

I really like this one :) This is still beyond my capabilities.

You should contact LEGO support to replace those cracked pieces, they don't look nice :/ Let them know there is a problem.

Well done. It is very fitting. The shaping is what I'd expect to see in a transporter dropship.

As far as cracked pieces, I didn't notice any. I believe that is how the mold is on those metallic pieces. All of mine are like that too and there isn't a slit in the plastic anywhere.

Wow! Where do you get the cockpit from?

All pieces are bought through Bricklink, but the canopy pieces originally appeared in Alpha Team and Mars Mission sets.

I really like this one :) This is still beyond my capabilities.

You should contact LEGO support to replace those cracked pieces, they don't look nice :/ Let them know there is a problem.

Those pieces look like that normally, the flat silver colour always has these lines on them, the structure of the piece is still sound.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who has left the lovely feedback on this, it's nice to know others find these creations as cool as I do!

Sleek and very cool design! It looks like a Harrier and Chinook got a baby! Love it!!