VBBN

2016 Action Figure Wishlist

If the rumors of the ghost sets are true, I would like to see fluorescent armor pieces. I also would like to see a new torso armor with a ghost design.

You mean phosphorescent (glow-in-the-dark) armor pieces, right? We already have fluorescent armor pieces on Tahu, Protector of Fire, and basically all the Skull villains.

You mean phosphorescent (glow-in-the-dark) armor pieces, right? We already have fluorescent armor pieces on Tahu, Protector of Fire, and basically all the Skull villains.

Yes, I meant phosphorescent pieces.Thank you for correcting me. But it would be nice to see more fluorescent pieces as weapons.

Yes, I meant phosphorescent pieces.Thank you for correcting me. But it would be nice to see more fluorescent pieces as weapons.

Maybe... but keep in mind that weapons typically use a different plastic than, say, shells and beams. You'd likely end up with something that looks more like the Vahki eyepieces, rather than the glowy, glassy look of polycarbonate parts.

I'm still conflicted about Rocka BA's green sword, and Aquagon's blue swords. What colors were those? Were they trying to be translucent?

I'm pretty sure they're trans. bright green and tr. blue respectively. They're just not as transparent as bone or shell pieces because of different kind of plastic used to make them. Most weapons are made of that softer kind of plastic probably to prevent them from breaking or to make them safer for children.

I'm pretty sure they're trans. bright green and tr. blue respectively. They're just not as transparent as bone or shell pieces because of different kind of plastic used to make them. Most weapons are made of that softer kind of plastic probably to prevent them from breaking or to make them safer for children.

That is correct, and a great example of what I was talking about. The Trans. Bright Green ones technically OUGHT to be mildly fluorescent, like other Trans. Bright Green parts, but if they are, it's hard to tell thanks to their material.

Interestingly, that sword used to be listed as both Trans. Red (from CHI Worriz) and Bright Red (from the Black Brain weapon pack) on the Lego customer service database. They're currently both listed as Bright Red—I don't honestly know whether they've both always been the same color, and if they are, which of the two colors they actually are.

I've already stated my desire for more articulation and other things such as feet.

But I've also prefer someway to make the eyestalks more glowy, they aren't visible enough behind the masks, I don't know what in their design makes it so but the difference is clear, and in this case almost literally. Showing light from top to them doesn't give the same effect as the metru ones.

More system integration to the Bionicle sets also, Stormtroopper already looks great, and certain pieces won't even take away the more robotic look but rather add it.

More chains or at least that trans-purple small chain introduced in Elves, it's just beautiful. http://2.bp.blogspot...Parts-Photo.jpg

Edited by GK733

Yep! And if you were wondering, that softer plastic used for weapons like that is polypropylene. This is why some of the colors along the bottom row in this chart are marked with the prefix "PP". Parts in polypropylene, rubber, or even ABS will have a milky, translucent color like that, while the hard plastic transparent colors most people are familiar with are molded in polycarbonate (PC).

Edited by Aanchir

• Glow-In-The-Dark eye-stalks (Could be an improvement of the Piraka variant, just without batteries this time so it lasts longer)
  • Glow-In-The-Dark CCBS bones and armour pieces
  • Mask Of Control (Released in a set)
  • Mask Of Time (Released as a polybag similar to the Hero pack)
  • Protector-sized Makuta (Titan sized to come in 2017 with MoUP)
  • Each Bionicle set having a minimum of two different masks
  • Knights Kingdom CCBS line
  • Vehicle CCBS sets
  • More trans-coloured pieces
  • New Toa forms in Summer 2016
  • More bone CCBS pieces
  • More unique Masks
  • Bionicle animations (Released on a better schedule)
  • Okoto online game
  • More system and CCBS integration
  • Blaster CCBS pieces (Similar to the 2016 Storm Trooper)
  • Titan sets (Darth Vader - General Grievous scale)
  • Partial discovery of the Toa's memories (To be expanded upon over 2017)
  • New armour pieces
  • Teaser for Bionicle movie in 2017

Though main thing i want is leaks for the 2016 sets :P

Everything you've listed sounds so appealing Scarilian, but there's one thing I'm a little skeptical of... The Mask of Time polybag. I doubt such an important mask would only be a freebie. I'm thinking it'd be in a set - perhaps something similar to MMvSG. A variant could come in a polybag (a recolour, say), but not the main McGuffin itself.

Everything you've listed sounds so appealing Scarilian, but there's one thing I'm a little skeptical of... The Mask of Time polybag. I doubt such an important mask would only be a freebie. I'm thinking it'd be in a set - perhaps something similar to MMvSG. A variant could come in a polybag (a recolour, say), but not the main McGuffin itself.

I think it depends on how relevant the MoT is to the story, at the moment its only been used to summon the Toa in conjunction with the Temple Of Time - it may not appear again until when the Toa need to return to where they came from. Though you are right, it would probably be as another mask in an expensive set, could see them lumping it in a set with a protector-sized Maktua fighting a toa-sized being. Similar to the MMvSG set as you said (Makuta with the Mask Of Control, a temple guardian of some kind and the two fighting over the Mask Of Time)

With that said, we probably won't be seeing the Mask of Time in the near future. At least until the initial three years TLG has planned.

Or we may never see it if things turn out bad. (I'm a glass-half-empty kind of guy).

What I'd like is some more size differences in masks. Currently, I feel like some masks aren't big enough for Toa builds I made, but then again worked quite well on Matoran. I don't really know how to describe it really, but for instance Onua's mask feels a bit small when you compare it to a Pakari. While the latter works well on Toa and Matoran, I only felt the G2 Mask of Earth felt right on a Matoran.

-Iben

What I'd like is some more size differences in masks. Currently, I feel like some masks aren't big enough for Toa builds I made, but then again worked quite well on Matoran. I don't really know how to describe it really, but for instance Onua's mask feels a bit small when you compare it to a Pakari. While the latter works well on Toa and Matoran, I only felt the G2 Mask of Earth felt right on a Matoran.

-Iben

You using G1 limbs? I feel the proportions with the actual sets are are just about right. And personally I felt the Mata Kanohi were a bit oversized, but that was for the function, I think.

You using G1 limbs? I feel the proportions with the actual sets are are just about right. And personally I felt the Mata Kanohi were a bit oversized, but that was for the function, I think.

All of my MOCs involve a mix of G1, Technic and CCBS really. While torsos and other parts are often more custom, limbs are in 90% of the cases the CCBS limbs.

I can agree that it didn't look that out of place on the actual set, that's why I was talking out of a MOC-perspective. I never felt the original Kanohi were oversized, but I guess it's a matter of opinion anyway.

-Iben

Edited by Iben

All of my MOCs involve a mix of G1, Technic and CCBS really. While torsos and other parts are often more custom, limbs are in 90% of the cases the CCBS limbs.

I can agree that it didn't look that out of place on the actual set, that's why I was talking out of a MOC-perspective. I never felt the original Kanohi were oversized, but I guess it's a matter of opinion anyway.

-Iben

Well on the sets themselves they seemed large, but not everything was proportionate back in the early years, not that they looked bad or anything. But yeah, I think they designed the masks this year specifically with the sets in mind, sadly not the MoCs :c but oh well. When I start my G2 MoCs later this year I'll be designing them with the new proportions. I have a couple of MoCs mixing G1, Technic, and CCBS as well, but one has Hewkii Mahri's mask(my self moc) and the other has a customized head. I can see how using the Toa masks on any larger set would look off. But if we get larger sets next year they could provide larger masks, look at Takanuva 2008 with the canister sets for example, they increased the size ratio to fit his figure better, and seeing as how I'll never create something to his scale I'm stuck with the mask(unless I rebuild him) ._.

Honestly I don't see what the appeal is for glow in the dark parts other than maybe a mask or a few other token parts (like the ones on Takadox). I suppose a GiTD skull spider or MoCr would be pretty cool, but building components like eyes and bone pieces not so much, as they don't really have any aesthetic bonus with the current GiTD color TLG makes.

I feel like the Mask of Time doesn't really seem like much of an important McGuffin, more like it was in G1 - a sort of throwaway promotion item, loosely used in the story. I imagine it might sort of be similar to Dareth from Ninjago, who was a recurring (and presumably popular) character, but was still left as a polybag exclusive.

Honestly I don't see what the appeal is for glow in the dark parts other than maybe a mask or a few other token parts (like the ones on Takadox). I suppose a GiTD skull spider or MoCr would be pretty cool, but building components like eyes and bone pieces not so much, as they don't really have any aesthetic bonus with the current GiTD color TLG makes.

I feel like the Mask of Time doesn't really seem like much of an important McGuffin, more like it was in G1 - a sort of throwaway promotion item, loosely used in the story. I imagine it might sort of be similar to Dareth from Ninjago, who was a recurring (and presumably popular) character, but was still left as a polybag exclusive.

Having a different print/material is not the same as a new mold. It would be ridiculous to release Mask of Time as a polybag and I'm pretty sure it will be included in a set or not at all. I could imagine the set being a titan that has MoT as a secondary mask. And if something like that happens it will most likely be released as an exclusive as well in a different color (orange please).

Edited by GK733

What if Lego pulls a Chir and releases the Mask of Time as their next Comic-Con exclusive?

When would be the next chance for a Bionicle exclusive giveaway btw?

When would be the next chance for a Bionicle exclusive giveaway btw?

Most likely this October at the NYCC.

I'm sorry for being that guy that just jumps into a thread without reading the majority of it.

Anyway, as for things I'd like to see in 2016, I'd like to see more stuff geared towards construction with the Mixel joints. From the top of my head, I want the Mixel Ball Cup with a cross axle so it can be used with TECHNIC, and thus, with Constraction lines.

I also think that with the Mixel joints (and generally, a more brick-built body), human-like characters would look more convincing, so how about some heads and other stuff for Brick-Constraction, like proper hands?

As for Bionicle, I echo the wish for more colours and more female representation. The more recent CCBS additions (Gali, and some takes at Breez) showed that it is very easy to make characters that look female without looking silly or exaggerated.

What if Lego pulls a Chir and releases the Mask of Time as their next Comic-Con exclusive?

Nope. An exclusive mold in a limited event-exclusive set is even less likely than an exclusive mold in a polybag. LEGO molds are incredibly expensive ($20,000 is an estimate I've seen before, though I've also heard claims that estimate is too conservative for certain molds), and LEGO justifies that cost by selling as many sets with that mold as possible. So even if LEGO gave away 2,000 free Masks of Time, they'd be putting themselves around $10 in the red for each one they gave away!

Granted, LEGO could release the Mask of Time at an event like NYCC — but only if they were already planning to put it in an actual retail set next year. Sort of like how the Mask of Fire was released at last year's NYCC, then later showed up in different colors in this year's Tahu set and the Hero Pack. There is no risk whatsoever of the Mask of Time only being released as an event-exclusive mask.

I also think that with the Mixel joints (and generally, a more brick-built body), human-like characters would look more convincing, so how about some heads and other stuff for Brick-Constraction, like proper hands?

I think the biggest problem with using system for action figures is stability. I can't find it, but a Creator video for 5764 explained that the model features a technic liftarm on the back to brace it, as brick connections do not hold solidly for something meant to be played with like an action figure. I know that you have had plenty of experience with building figures out of system though, so how has this worked out in practice?

On the Mask of Time, I could see them releasing it as an exclusive at a convention or as a polybag, but only if the mold has already been made for another set; as Aanchir has explained, it is not a smart idea to make a mold just for something that will be given out for free.

I think the biggest problem with using system for action figures is stability. I can't find it, but a Creator video for 5764 explained that the model features a technic liftarm on the back to brace it, as brick connections do not hold solidly for something meant to be played with like an action figure. I know that you have had plenty of experience with building figures out of system though, so how has this worked out in practice?

The stability issue mostly depends on the build. The Transformer MOC I built for example has his torso not built from the bottom upward, but from the back, which gives the whole thing a fairly solid basis - though it's not perfect, as the swivelling shoulder joints can break the front of the torso off if I'm too clumsy while posing him (I could theoretically remedy this with some additional parts, but those parts would be in the way during the transformation to vehicle mode - in other words, a non-transforming figure at this scale could work well enough in terms of stability).

However, my figure is also not as tall as the regular CCBS figure or even 5764 - he's around the same size as the average Deluxe Transformer figure, which makes him only a few modules taller than most Mixels (though he has more mass, as both his body and his limbs feature more bricks). It's a fairly manageable size in terms of stability.