VBBN

2016 Action Figure Wishlist

Aw. No love for fem Taka? Alright. But female 7th Toa; wholeheartedly agree on that. I love female characters, and if Transformers is anything to go by, strong female leads are on the rise.

Also, it'd be nice to see such a character to be ornamental and detailed, maybe even with an oriental inspiration to it. I'd love it if a 7th Toa was more of an ancient character from the past. Though Ekimu may already be filling that role...

I figure they could just name the character Takanuva even if he/she had a different history. Heck, the 2015 Toa share names with the originals despite having different origin stories and differences in personalities.

Though if that were the case with Taka, I suppose we get into "name-slap" territory, and people would complain about that.

The difference is that the Toa Mata's origins are not integral to their characterization. Even given a different origin, Tahu is still readily identifiable as hotheaded and heroic, Lewa as reckless and carefree, Onua as wise and steadfast. Besides that, their origin isn't THAT different from the 2001 origins, save for falling directly to the island instead of washing up inside canisters.

Takanuva is a different case. He was often motivated by his friendships and experiences as a Matoran. More to the point, his story has already been told, and like Mata Nui, his name alone has too many ties to the old story. If a villager named Takua is introduced, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out that they'd become the seventh Toa.

Finally, as progressive as it would appear, changing up a classic character's gender has the potential to distract from the purpose of bringing back characters in the first place—appealing to nostalgia. You can argue all day that a change like that shouldn't be a big deal, but for many fans, it WOULD be, and there's no point in risking the fan narrative being changed from "toy company brings back beloved character" to "toy company subverts childhood memories to be politically correct". Again, I can't emphasize how much I disagree that a change like that would be wrong—but the opinions of nostalgic fans are so rarely rational, and it'd be far easier for Lego to avoid that controversy altogether by treating them as a new character with a new name.

I wouldn't mind a fem-kua/kanuva since the original Takanuva was pretty void in the personality department post-transformation. So if they did, it would be more for design than anything else, and a G2 Avohkii would be sick.

I disagree about Takanuva's post-transformation personality being void. Although he became more purposeful as a Toa, he never let go of his eagerness, his loyalty to his friends, or his love of adventure.

Anyway, I welcome the idea of a female Seventh Toa. I had an idea for a fanfic back in the day where PEWKU ended up becoming the actual Seventh Toa. A silly idea, naturally, but one that amused me.

I disagree about Takanuva's post-transformation personality being void. Although he became more purposeful as a Toa, he never let go of his eagerness, his loyalty to his friends, or his love of adventure.

Except then he runs into a barrier and just sorta gives up on all of those =P. It's no real fault of characterization, just that he gets marginalized by the plot and shuffled around without much chance to express himself (although I suppose 2008 could have tried a tiny bit harder). I wish we had gotten to see his destiny play out in the serials, Greg's plans sounded really interesting.

Anyway, I welcome the idea of a female Seventh Toa. I had an idea for a fanfic back in the day where PEWKU ended up becoming the actual Seventh Toa. A silly idea, naturally, but one that amused me.

#pewkugen2confirmed

*snip to save space*

Meh. I guess I just prefer more radical ideas. Heck, if I were in charge, the six elements would have been fire, water, earth, air, jungle, and metal, but that's another story.

I guess I wouldn't mind a new... Origin story or whatever so long as it's done well. Plus, name-slaps have never been something that has bothered me.

You know, that Pewku being the 7th Toa idea reminded me of an idea that the Masters' 7th Toa should be some form go dog-like beast along the lines of Iggy from JJBA. What element the dog would be, however. I have no clue, but I'm open to suggestions.

This occurred to me again that I would also really like to see another build similar to Witch Doctors in at least somewhere in Gen 2, not an exact copy but similar in complexity and size. One of the things CCBS had going for me was products like that. Maybe even a larger price point? I wonder how large a humanoid figure can be with CCBS...

v@vexorian You're joking right?

Edited by MakutaOfWar

No more bionicle.

It was nice having the Toa in good CSSBSCS sets but that's enough for a homage.

I'd like them to go back to the invasion from below idea and make more mechs.

No more bionicle.

It was nice having the Toa in good CSSBSCS sets but that's enough for a homage.

I'd like them to go back to the invasion from below idea and make more mechs.

Though I am not so keen on dumping the line, I too believe that it was a shame and disappointment to see HF thrown in the bin when it had just started doing something truly unique.

If only BIONICLE had been kept back for a few more years, HF could have shifted to a mech-based constraction toyline, which would have been an interesting change from LEGO's usual action figure fare, and would likely have intrigued quite a few otherwise-uninterested AFOLs in the process, considering how well some of the IFB mechs were received on sites such as Brickset.

...I want a Herofigure of Jimi Stringer.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

Me too. For now, painting is the only real option available. I'd suggest painting a Stormer figure, because the head is reasonably close to Stringer's. I kind of want to get IfB mold beast heads in more colors, to be honest. Those things are incredibly useful for more generic creature MOCs too small for custom heads to be practical. Lime green would be nice. In fact, I would like more lime green in general. Most lime green sets featured only 3m shells, which makes lime green MOCs difficult to make. A different generic two-part head would also be appreciated. Perhaps a more rounded head, or one with a snout. The mech theme was great, but while I would love to see it come back, it seems unlikely for LEGO to return to such a concept. They'll probably stick with Bionicle, SW and Mixels for now. The chance of them introducing a new constraction line soon is infinitesimal.

I'd love to see more "interesting" CCBS-based builds in the future. There were some nice ideas in last years sets, like the Furno Jet Machine, Surge and Rocka Combat Machine, or Queen Beast. It's the kind of techniques that makes me love CCBS, and I was kinda disappointed to see that this year we come back to more generic builds, besides Grievous (Darth Vader doesn't count, he's mainly Technic).

I would like to see the piston add-on in more non-metallic colors than just white.

THIS. I don't need it in every primary color or anything... but I could see a lot of use for it in, say, black, or red.

I'd approach the idea from the story and the general idea that it's not the most common thing to paint pistons. So the ideal colors should be all metallic, at least I think that was the designers idea. So with gold and silver, ideal would be gunmetal and something that represents rust. Then again it comes in white too so it wouldn't be that surprising to have it as black.

I think it would be interesting to see parts in gunmetal or silver... with burnt orange blended in.

Y'know... to give the impression of rust.

At the very least, I'd like to see the piston piece in black and titanium metallic.

Rust does actually sound like a cool idea. I'd like to see something like the 2005 Vikings helmets (that battered metal effect), but it seems that Lego has long distanced itself from that type of stuff. Probably too expensive to produce.

Edited by Shakar

Or maybe it didn't hold up to increasing quality standards. I do think a shell or add-on with blended gunmetal and orange has potential, though.

Jurassic World Ultrabuilds.

They may be horrible monstrosities of paleontoligical inaccuracy, but I can fix that and non-humanoid builds are great.

haha JW Ultrabuilds would be novel, and the IFB beasts have shown how using minimal new parts along with pre-existing parts can still be done at reasonable price points to make acceptably full and bulky creatures

Edited by Mutant Orc

Jurassic World Ultrabuilds.

They may be horrible monstrosities of paleontoligical inaccuracy, but I can fix that and non-humanoid builds are great.

It's probably extremely unlikely given LEGO probably don't have the license to make dinosaur figures on their own, but if LEGO did do Jurassic World dinosaur ultrabuilds (or even just CCBS dinosaurs), I'd probably keel over with absolute delight, then start being really picky about how inaccurate they would probably be (I studied palaeontology at university). Fingers crossed for CCBS dinosaurs :grin:

I just want a line full of CCBS non-humanoids. IfB was great for that. If they're dinosaurs, so much for the better.

I just want a line full of CCBS non-humanoids. IfB was great for that. If they're dinosaurs, so much for the better.

Me too, but not yet; first I want individual, intelligent villains again.

Something like the Exo-Toa would be nice, too.

A little late to Takanuvachat, but in light of the updated description of graphic novel 1, I'm coming around to the idea of Ekimu being a sort of fusion of the original BIONICLE's Mata Nui and Takanuva. The description includes him as a part of the Toa team, rather than a separate element, pointing to a more direct, companionlike relationship with the Toa as opposed to being a mentor figure as might be easier to expect. As for how they would even balance the idea of Ekimu as a godlike, ancient creator with that of a more humble character who must learn alongside the Toa is a question with no easy answer. And it's all from a simple blurb that doesn't necessarily reflect the contents of the novel accurately.

Of course, if the rumor regarding Ekimu becoming a full-on Toa next winter ends up being true, then the parallel between him and Takanuva would be rather more overt.

Why would non-humanoids be incapable of intelligence or individuality?

They actually aren't, but it's easier to get that notion with humanoids. After all, the target audience is human, and humans are somewhat self-centered (why do you think we see masks faces on inanimate objects?).

I just want completely new mask-molds.

This too.