Werlu Ulcur

Slave vs Slave

I got the set back in the beginning of the month, my first UCS set.

ucs1.jpg

ucs2.jpg

Only yesterday I was able to sit down and build it. And as expected, it's absolutely a-w-e-s-o-m-e! The model and the build - one of the most challenging sets I ever assembled.

Slave-I_01.jpg

Slave-I_02.jpg

Slave-I_03.jpg

I won't write a full review on the set, since that's been done before and probably better then I could do it, but I would like to show how big the thing is. I knew it was bigger then the previous 2010 #8097 set, but I could only really appreciate the fact when I got them both side by side.

Slave-I_05.jpg

Slave-I_06.jpg

However, massive and detail-packed as the new UCS set is, I wouldn't retire the 2010 set. It's definitively one of my favorite Lego sets, and I think it does a pretty nice job in representing the Slave I in brick form. Obviously not perfect, but "good enough". Plus, the UCS set is not even close to being swooshable, and that's a quality I think is very important in a Lego set. With that, I would say that these two sets are complementary to each other. Well, at least for a Boba Fett fan and/or a SW nut :classic: .

The 8097 is like the Kenner toy. Looks great and fits with the other ships.

The UCS is like a Master Replica; great as a showpiece.

Yup, that sounds reasonable.

In terms of details they're apple and oranges, but even though it's the inferior model, I still love the 8097 - that's probably the 11-year old in me :). Besides, we did get Bosk with it, and just a stormtrooper with the mighty 75060.

I could have sworn there was a comparison reviewdone in March already... :wink: That reviewer totally agrees with you, don't retire the 2010 version, it is spectacular.

Sorry, only saw your most excellent review today. But it looks like we arrived at the same conclusion: the 75060 is definitively the best version ever released, but the 8097 is a great version. I'm a huge Boba Fett fan, so I would never consider getting rid of the 8097. I see it as kind of a different version of the ship, but so good that even fater the mighty UCS sei I still think of it as one of my all-time favorite Lego sets.

I have the 2010 version, and I would really like to have the UCS Slave I one day.

Does anybody know if UCS sets like this one ever end up on discount?

I'm not much of a set collector and most of my LEGO budget has been spent

on MOC parts the past months, but I would really love to have this set so I'll need to pick it up in the future when (if) it goes on sale.

Does anybody know if UCS sets like this one ever end up on discount?

Generally not. There have been a few that have been on discount, but they were overpriced to begin with (Obi-Wan's star fighter) or not popular for whatever reason (B-Wing).

Great review! Just saw that the "wings" on the 8097 are changed (the left one is on the right side and viceversa). Anyways I loved the comparison as the previous 2006 model, which is almost the same as the 8097 but with incaccurate colors. I would love to own the UCS one :grin:

...I have the 2010 version, and I would really like to have the UCS Slave I one day.

If you can, get it! I'm suspect to say so, but I think it's the best UCS ever (ok, one of the two best UCS ever, if you also think the Falcon is one of the two coolest ships in SW :wink:).

Great review! Just saw that the "wings" on the 8097 are changed (the left one is on the right side and viceversa).

Darn, they're switched :cry_sad:! Can't believe I only noticed it after you pointed it out. When I moved to my new house last year I had to partially disassemble many models for the move and in the frenzy of putting everything back on display again I must have switched the wings. The worse part is that when I was making those shots I had the feeling that something was different but never did I noticed that I assembled them reversed. Thanks for the heads up!