Sign in to follow this  
lockdownTF

using brasso to partially remove decal prints

I've got a custom minifig in mind I wanna make but to make it look right I wanna use brasso to remove the red web patterns from the miles morales black spiderman minifig but leave the white eyes and only those intact. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried anything similar and can recommend any tools that will be useful. the only thing I have right now is some cue tips which are too big for the precision detail I'll be removing. only thing I can thing of is protecting the eyes with blu tac or plasterscene.

Edited by lockdownTF

I prefer to use a soft eraser. Masking tape off the area you want to keep and rub the rest. You might need to do it in stages, re-taping each time if the design you are removing is not all in the same area.

Take the cotton off the end of a Q-tip or if you need finer control, use a toothpick. It requires a delicate touch and patience but this has worked for me with both torsos and heads.

Put small strips of electrical tape over the parts you want to keep, pour a little bit of brasso on a bit of kitchen paper and rub gently until the design disappears.

Does anyone know this will work on BrickForge custom pieces as well?

Never tried it with BrickForge before, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Probably. But aren't they normally more expensive than the equivalent blank pieces?

Probably. But aren't they normally more expensive than the equivalent blank pieces?

Usually, but they constantly have reduced items. I've got a few printed elements that were 70-80% off, putting them way under the price of the blank ones and there's a few items I don't think they've ever produced blank variants of like the potion bottles.

I have had great success with nail polish remover, simply soak a q-tip or piece off cloth in it and it rubs away any printing with no trouble!

I have had great success with nail polish remover, simply soak a q-tip or piece off cloth in it and it rubs away any printing with no trouble!

Warning: Most nail polish removers have acetone which will dissolve plastic, even in small amounts. Use this option at your own risk (and at the risk of ruining your pieces).

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is quite good at removing printing - I've only tried it on heads, but it worked really well and without any scratching at all.