The Kid

Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures...

You may say he'll sleep no more until he gets there :tongue:

Unless he Faces the Raven whilst doing so!

But he'll be fine as long as he doesn't Blink and miss any of the action!

But if he does, he may end up Under the Lake!

What a beautiful Christmas special. I don't know about you guys, but while I wasn't big on River's character arc through the seasons, the send-off was absolutely mind-blowingly good. The humour was great too, really was a "perfect" Christmas special, something nice and fun to snuggle up to after a good day... and much better than "Last Christmas" I found. So, does anyone know about the future of Doctor Who? Like, is there going to be a series 10 with a new trailer in July? I've heard that the ratings have declined quite a bit in U.K....

What a beautiful Christmas special. I don't know about you guys, but while I wasn't big on River's character arc through the seasons, the send-off was absolutely mind-blowingly good. The humour was great too, really was a "perfect" Christmas special, something nice and fun to snuggle up to after a good day... and much better than "Last Christmas" I found. So, does anyone know about the future of Doctor Who? Like, is there going to be a series 10 with a new trailer in July? I've heard that the ratings have declined quite a bit in U.K....

I too enjoyed the special, a very good story and its finally great to see the Doctor give River her screwdriver. A series 10 has been confirmed although I think it may be in two parts unlike Series 8 and 9.

In terms of ratings, the first few episodes were lost to the Rugby World Cup because England were playing. Another problem was that the times of the Episodes kept changing making it hard to keep track of when the next episode was on. First one was on at 8:20 then the time got pushed back to 8:00 and then onwards again...

I too enjoyed the special, a very good story and its finally great to see the Doctor give River her screwdriver. A series 10 has been confirmed although I think it may be in two parts unlike Series 8 and 9.

In terms of ratings, the first few episodes were lost to the Rugby World Cup because England were playing. Another problem was that the times of the Episodes kept changing making it hard to keep track of when the next episode was on. First one was on at 8:20 then the time got pushed back to 8:00 and then onwards again...

Ah, I see. Awesome, thanks for the clarification. Hope England did well ;)

Ah, I see. Awesome, thanks for the clarification. Hope England did well ;)

Thanks! Unfortunately, like a lot of other English sports *football* we didn't succeed this time. :blush: I hope we hear some more information about Class soon.

Thanks! Unfortunately, like a lot of other English sports *football* we didn't succeed this time. :blush: I hope we hear some more information about Class soon.

that's ok. I have to live in a city where our home-team hasn't won the Stanley Cup (hockey) in over 40 years....

Lame sports team and disappointing repertoires aside, what is Class exactly? All I know is that it's a spinoff. Is it a Clara spinoff?

More importantly.... what's the news on series 10?>> I know it's only been 2 weeks but I miss Doctor Who already! I always look forward to Easter because of it :(

I think Class is a spin off show featuring Coat Hill School. We're still quite shaky on the details as the BBC have kept a lot of story under wraps. But hopefully we'll find out soon!

How do the later production Dr Who series compare to the 2005 9th doctor era? This is the series I decided to jump on the wagon, and while it has a certain comforting appeal to it, it kind of feels a bit cheap, especially with the props and effects. Some space ship scenes were obviously filmed in an underground railway tunnel. I realize this was probably done on a tight budget, but I am just wondering if this was polished up a bit in later times? I am even starting to like the unpolished tackyness, it feels oldschool.

Edited by Sven F

How do the later production Dr Who series compare to the 2005 9th doctor era? This is the series I decided to jump on the wagon, and while it has a certain comforting appeal to it, it kind of feels a bit cheap, especially with the props and effects. Some space ship scenes were obviously filmed in an underground railway tunnel. I realize this was probably done on a tight budget, but I am just wondering if this was polished up a bit in later times? I am even starting to like the unpolished tackyness, it feels oldschool.

Yeah, the "unpolished" feel to it is to me all about budget. But from the beginning, this series isnt about special effects at all ( even though it would probably attract an bigger audience ). But as you say, it grows on one.

The big thing is as you somewhat points out yourself is about the story itself, and the relationship between The Doctor and his companions. About human feelings and putting one self aside for the bigger issues at hand. For love and friendship.

The later seasons, from season 8-9, it seem that a bigger budget have been layed out and the effect have gotten a lot better, however imo, the directors have never lost focus on the real deal about what and why DW is an succes. The focus is still on telling stories about humans ( well, aliens as well ) bonding for the better.

To keep it short. Yeah effects have become a lot better. :laugh:

The practical effects seem fine to me but the CG is of noticeably lower quality to me, which I mostly owe to The Mill not doing the effects anymore since series 7.

Now you say it, that might be true. They have just become better with the production, scene setup, lightning and so.

Edited by KlodsBrik

The practical effects seem fine to me but the CG is of noticeably lower quality to me, which I mostly owe to The Mill not doing the effects anymore since series 7.

I disagree, I would place the CGI of series 1 of the revival as as strong as the special effects in Harry Potter; in fact, I haven't really noticed much difference with the special effects of series 1 compared to series 9. Maybe the series 9 effects are slightly stronger but I don't believe there's a lot of difference in it.

Series 1 had some kinda shoddy effects, mostly with the CG used for the Slitheens and the Daleks, and Series 2 had some very dodgy effects in the beginning, but from around the end of Series 2 and until Series 6, the CG improved quite a bit in my opinion, to dip a bit in Series 7. Of course, this is only a minor nitpick and poor effects have always been a staple in Doctor Who, but poor CG effects are much less charming and are a bit more distracting than poor sets or props. This hardly hampers my enjoyment of the show, it's just some CGI-heavy shots sometimes throw me for a bit, a recent example being the shots where the Cybermen were flying in Death in Heaven.

Like all TV shows that use CGI, DW has its ups and downs. But overall I'd say the quality is very good.

God I can't believe that it took me ages to find this thread but yeah I'm a big fan of Doctor Who started watching the show since 2005. My favourite Doctor during the late noughties was David Tenant but recently I've been watch the classic series and now I have four favourites: Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton. Currently in the classic series I'm on Peter Davison's era and I'm anxiously awaiting the Mara boxset that consist of the DVD versions of Kinda and Snakedance. Anybody else watching the classic series?

God I can't believe that it took me ages to find this thread but yeah I'm a big fan of Doctor Who started watching the show since 2005. My favourite Doctor during the late noughties was David Tenant but recently I've been watch the classic series and now I have four favourites: Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton. Currently in the classic series I'm on Peter Davison's era and I'm anxiously awaiting the Mara boxset that consist of the DVD versions of Kinda and Snakedance. Anybody else watching the classic series?

Yes, although I operate a bit like the 4th Doctor's 'randomizer': jumping between eras and different Doctors rather than in logical order.

Yes, although I operate a bit like the 4th Doctor's 'randomizer': jumping between eras and different Doctors rather than in logical order.

Well I've been sort of doing that having watched Jon Pertwee's era first then Tom Baker's era, take a break from it, Patrick Troughton's era then back to Tom Baker's era then start Peter Davison's era take a break from it and then watch William Hartnell's era now I'm pretty much back to chronological order thanks to the fact that I don't have anymore 60s Doctors to watch through.

Season 10 will air in 2017

Moffat is leaving after season 10

http://comicbook.com...roadchurch-cre/

At least we get an Christmas special in 2016. Gotta find the positive sides of it.

It also might be good that Moffat is leaving. The scripts and writing has become a bit worse imo lately.

Time will tell. Timey wimey. :classic:

I'm a bit unsure about Chibnall, I loved him in Torchwood but not as much in Doctor Who. Still, what matters isn't writing great individual episodes but being able to make a good arc. I hope Moffat sticks around for writing the odd individual episode like he did for Davies, Moffat tends to write best when it's just for 1 or 2 episodes' worth of story. I still want Davies to come back for the odd episode, too.