The Kid

Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures...

11 hours ago, BrickG said:

So is this new female doctor going to have a male romantic love interest because she's female? Or will she still be attracted to the occasional female? I'm curious about the sexuality of the new Doctor.

I hope she won't be attracted to anyone, I don't like when the Doctor has romantic relationships. It makes him (or her, now) too human, and less like a mysterious alien superhero.

Now, I believe the Doctor's sexuality is a rather new concept, I don't think it was too prominent in the classics (although I'm not sure at all about that, I don't know much about the classics). Anyways, I think he's been with several men since the beginning of the new series, although it was not always explicitly shown. I remember he kissed Jack Harkness and Rory Williams, and, IIRC, he mentioned several times having been with men, so if 13 is attracted to female, I wouldn't see that as a problem.

Just now, Leewan said:

I hope she won't be attracted to anyone, I don't like when the Doctor has romantic relationships. It makes him (or her, now) too human, and less like a mysterious alien superhero.

Now, I believe the Doctor's sexuality is a rather new concept, I don't think it was too prominent in the classics (although I'm not sure at all about that, I don't know much about the classics). Anyways, I think he's been with several men since the beginning of the new series, although it was not always explicitly shown. I remember he kissed Jack Harkness and Rory Williams, and, IIRC, he mentioned several times having been with men, so if 13 is attracted to female, I wouldn't see that as a problem.

Well for clarification I meant his original preferences should say the same. So if he lied ladies he should still like ladies as a gal. But I can't say what it was because I've not paid that close of attention! It would just be mighty convenient if the first time we saw him with a dude (instead of just a hint) it happens to be when he's a woman. :P

I kind of disagree about his relationships. He's had several now and they... kind of worked? Idunno I think the Doctor's problem is he's basically Jesus and can be taken down a peg and experience more human things. He's Superman, he's hard to relate to. And he's too perfect and never screws up. I want a character with some flaws but every single flaw they give the Doctor they take back (like when he did NOT actually fail his home planet and they took back the ONE thing he messed up on...). I'm sick of perfect Doctor. I guess you don't need a relationship for addressing that. And I do believe you can be as mysterious and stuff while still being flawed. 

The Christmas Special was good, quite a small, slow story, but nonetheless interesting and fun, and quite emotional too! David Bradley was great as the first doctor.

I will certainly miss Capaldi, but am looking forward to Jodie Whittaker's episodes

The characters (and the way each of their arcs was handled) was done very well. I really enjoyed Mark Gatiss' portrayal of the Captain. The story was ok, but I felt the villains, the glass people, were a little weak in comparison to the previous Christmas special villains like the snowmen or the dream crabs.

1 hour ago, Tariq j said:

The characters (and the way each of their arcs was handled) was done very well. I really enjoyed Mark Gatiss' portrayal of the Captain. The story was ok, but I felt the villains, the glass people, were a little weak in comparison to the previous Christmas special villains like the snowmen or the dream crabs.

They weren't really villains as such, which I thought was a mistake for a regeneration story.

What do people think of the new logo?

Image result for new doctor who logo

I don't dislike it but I feel the change was unnecessary and I preferred the previous one.

For me I personally quite like the change, it’s a new Doctor, new writer and new era. So it feels fitting to have a new logo. Plus it helps makes Jodie Whittaker’s era unique and identifiable, rather than just using the same logo.

But to the logo itself, the orange instantly made me think of the logo from the RTD era but the font harkens back to the 80s logo, so I think it’s a nice mix of classic an new. 

On 21/02/2018 at 9:37 PM, Tariq j said:

For me I personally quite like the change, it’s a new Doctor, new writer and new era. So it feels fitting to have a new logo. Plus it helps makes Jodie Whittaker’s era unique and identifiable, rather than just using the same logo.

Agreed, it feels like the right time for a fresh start. I hope for a completely different contrast in tone from the Moffat era, akin to the big tonal shift from RTD to Moffat. 

You can't beat Honest Trailers :laugh:

What did everyone think of the new Doctor? I quite liked the episode myself, I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it was good, you could definitely tell it wasn't a Moffat written script, it felt a like a new time and new era and I liked that. The visuals and VFX were on point and all three companions seemed likeable and fitted in well. I liked Jodie as the Doctor, but more towards the ending of the episode though rather than the beginning, I felt a few of her lines were meant to be funny but fell a little flat? The monster was good, even if a little forgettable, but overall a good episode to start the series. 

So according to the latest episode, among other things, the Doctor is a doctor of LEGO. 

Did you think she get her degree at the University of Billund?

6 minutes ago, centroid said:

So according to the latest episode, among other things, the Doctor is a doctor of LEGO

That's got to be a call for some more Dr Who sets, right? Not just the ideas one... Come on Lego, please? 

On 11/6/2018 at 1:53 AM, kiwinewt said:

That's got to be a call for some more Dr Who sets, right? Not just the ideas one... Come on Lego, please? 

Maybe in 2023 for the 60th :laugh:.

I'm sure its been said but this new showrunner has essentially rebooted the show much like Moffat did when he came in for Matt Smith's first season.

Unlike Matt Smith though, Jodie is not channeling much of her immediate predecessor, which is great, but perhaps the missing connective tissue people are criticizing this new series for.

I keep hearing people say this does'nt feel like Doctor Who. 

I disagree with that sentiment because when I go and watch episodes of Colin or Tom Baker's Doctors, they don't feel much like any of the new Who at all. The eras of Pertwee and Hartnell are likewise completely different in feel.

That's the beauty of this show. It evolves, it changes, it regenerates much like the Doctor. 

It doesn't feel much like the show we've become accustom to over the past four years and that's fantastic. The basic elements are there but under a new vision. 

If I want to get the feel the show had I'll go back and watch those episodes. 

Edited by Forresto