The Kid

Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures...

I also thought what he did was out of character but I decided it was down to travelling without a companion for a while (presumably long enough to have a new companion before coming back for the Ponds). Tennant got a bit darker towards the end and it's often been suggested that the Doctor needs a companion to reign in his arrogant/darker side.

The last two episodes were pretty disappointing for me.. :sceptic:

The thing that connects with the first Matt Smith episode was nothing special either..

Fish fingers and custard

I thought the Ponds' tombstone should have had a notation about "Proud parents to Melody and Brian"

They wouldn't even have had to do anything with it later, but it would have been an interesting little mystery. Like the Face of Boe.

Steve

I thought the Ponds' tombstone should have had a notation about "Proud parents to Melody and Brian"

By Brian do you mean Rory's dad? That would be a, incredibly weird and b, would cause a huge paradox by having Rory be his own granddad.

No discussions about the Christmas Special or the rest of series 7?

I just watched the Special and it is my favourite of the Christmas episodes with a lot of references to the 'Pond Era'

The character of Clara is really interesting too, can't wait for the rest of series 7 especially with the new Cybermen!

I think the best christmas episode since the first one.

Very interesting character with Clara.

I think this was the best Christmas Special yet, I'm interested in where they will get with

the multiple Claras across time and space.

It was great to have an acting legend like Ian McKellen on the show, even if it was just the voice.

I think this Great Intelligence thing will be the series-long arc, like Bad Wolf and Torchwood.

The new opening title is a bit strange for now, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I was having doubts about the new TARDIS interior, but it's really growing on me. My favourite scene was the scene where

the Doctor realises that he is wearing a bow tie again. So funny, yet a bit sad, too.

I was having doubts about the new TARDIS interior, but it's really growing on me.

I think it's the best one since the film version, shame the lighting is a bit low, hopefully it will get brighter in the series.

I really liked the new opening and the new tardis. I liked the episode but it comes second to "A Christmas Carol" because I was unclear as to what was happening for most of it.

What do you think is the best episode to introduce someone to Doctor Who? I was thinking about Vincent and the Doctor, but I would like to hear your opinions!

"Vincent" has the same problem that most newer DW episodes have. It jumps right into the middle of a major story arc.

New people will be confused about Rory's death, and it doesn't introduce The Doctor very well.

​That being said, I'm not a lover of that episode, so my opinion may be biased.

I'd say "The Eleventh Hour" is by far your best bet.

The only tiny problem is that it shows a lot of 11's goofy side, and not his more serious nature.

"Smith and Jones" would be decent if the other person is pretty good at catching up on new concepts.

"Rose" is also good, but has a bad "Pilot Episode" feel to it.

It's hard to peg down a lot of good ones. "Blink" is used a lot, but it's Doctor-lite and I'd argue that it should only be used if the other person likes other modern TV shows, but thinks the "Sci-fi/Time-Travel" aspects are corny or cheesy.

I'll post again if I think of any more, sorry I'm not being more helpful. :hmpf_bad:

Looking back, very few episodes of Series 1, 2 or 6 would be good starters. With Series 1, the show was still looking for the right feel, so the quality is lower than later installments.

Both Series 1 and 6 have the problem of the majority of episodes being two parters, or dealing heavily with previous episodes or concepts. Series 2 has some good shows, but it's also the worst modern series season so far.

Edited by SteampunkDoc

About "Vincent" - One could just say: Amy had a boyfriend but he was erased, he doesn't play a role in this episode.

I am thinking about a more serious episode, perhaps Human Nature?

Thanks for the help anyways! :thumbup:

Vincent and the Doctor is a personal favourite of mine and I always tell my friends, 'if you're going to watch one episode of Doctor Who, watch Vincent and the Doctor'

Rory's absence is really the only thing you need to explain and the whole episode I think is really good.

The Bells of Saint John is airing soon and the prequel here is pretty good I think.

What do you think is the best episode to introduce someone to Doctor Who? I was thinking about Vincent and the Doctor, but I would like to hear your opinions!

An unearthly child :grin:. The Eleventh Hour would really be best, starting with the newest Doctor is best. Failing that next weeks Bells of Saint John would be good, supposedly no story arcs, new companion, new TARDIS.

The Bells of Saint John is airing soon and the prequel here is pretty good I think.

Can't wait for the episode! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by commodore_legolas

Yeah, I don't know what to think now.

I had heard before that...

...All the Doctors would be in it, with all the living actors and then using archive footage for the rest. I was super-hyped, and then that fell through the roof. Then I was hoping for all the modern series Doctors and that could still happen, but is unlikely.

Tennant is great, but I supposed they're just going to pull Rose and Ten in from an earlier point in their timelines to avoid another impossible return. I'm looking forward to it, and at least somebody's coming back. There for a while it looked like it was just going to be just Eleven and Clara. And who knows, there's still plenty of time to bring in more actors.

They changed the title sequence again, didn't they? Now we get a flash of the Doctor's face for the first time since the old series and the Time Vortex went all squarish, like it was in Tom Baker's time.

The episode itself was OK.

I saw the episode on Saturday, and really liked it! Hadn't ever seen a full episode before, just partial episodes (some of which were awful). I guess it's about time I actually started following this series. Pity my cable here at college doesn't carry BBC America.