msx80

[Software] Bluerender, a rendering engine for LDD

See post #162 (pg 7), and post #203 (pg 9) of this forum. Also https://flic.kr/p/tK2MXw

Notable differences: Bluerender does not offer bevels (joints between bricks) or the LEGO logo on the studs, both of which are available on higher settings on POV-Ray. But Bluerender is MUCH faster and looks more natural (in my opinion). For example, in that Flickr image link I supplied, the white tables look gray in POV-Ray and the overall look is sort of hyper-real. Bluerender seems to look more like a well-lit photograph to me.

Yeah, I prefer the way POVRay looks, but this is still very impressive technology, especially for slower computers- I've heard of POVRay renders taking days for sub-1000 piece models :blush:

Well, it seems like we are almost there with "noshadow" :sweet::tongue: (+ this work basically with ANY TYPE of shader, not just the glass...simply any material/shader having as last parameter "noshadow" won't cast shadows at all! :wink: ):

20150704_brnoshadow_1.jpg

Edited by bublible

I am still having issues changing the background. Also would love to know how you made your back ground for your black torn post.

Cheers

I am still having issues changing the background. Also would love to know how you made your back ground for your black torn post.

Cheers

My background for that Blacktron prototypes render was made in Blender, exported as .obj file and used for file-mesh object in BlueRender's .sc file for actual .lxf.

QUESTION:

As I really need it to know and PM seems not functioning or something, I put my question publicly and maybe some other JAVA programmer will respond knowing the right answer, so:

* does "state.getShader()" under specific lights (in this case SphereLight.java) returns actual instance of shader used for actual "state.getHit()" object or just the type of the shader used? :look:

Cos I defined new method for shaders so when I call it like "state.getShader().hasNoshadow()" I expect it returns actual boolean value of the active instance of the shader (that is the one associated with actual "state.getHit()" object), but for some reason I always get only the initial "false" boolean instead of right "true/false" value - why? :wacko:

Edited by bublible

QUESTION:

As I really need it to know and PM seems not functioning or something, I put my question publicly and maybe some other JAVA programmer will respond knowing the right answer, so:

* does "state.getShader()" under specific lights (in this case SphereLight.java) returns actual instance of shader used for actual "state.getHit()" object or just the type of the shader used? :look:

Cos I defined new method for shaders so when I call it like "state.getShader().hasNoshadow()" I expect it returns actual boolean value of the active instance of the shader (that is the one associated with actual "state.getHit()" object), but for some reason I always get only the initial "false" boolean instead of right "true/false" value - why? :wacko:

It returns the actual shader in use by the state. I can't tell you more without seeing your modifications to ShadingState and Shader. You might need to debug to see if ShadingState.setShader() is being called elsewhere. There are a lot of ways this could go wrong.

It returns the actual shader in use by the state. I can't tell you more without seeing your modifications to ShadingState and Shader. You might need to debug to see if ShadingState.setShader() is being called elsewhere. There are a lot of ways this could go wrong.

OK, does PM to you work...can I send you a message and work this out?

OK, does PM to you work...can I send you a message and work this out?

Yes, PM works. The first time you PM-ed me, you PM-ed again saying that you figured it out before I could respond.

Yes, PM works. The first time you PM-ed me, you PM-ed again saying that you figured it out before I could respond.

Oh, and I thought it is not working as you did not respond...OK, let's go then. :laugh:

Edited by bublible

Hi

How to chance the background color? The default color should be White but y render Always show blue background.

Hi

How to chance the background color? The default color should be White but y render Always show blue background.

background
{
   color 1 1 1
}

Hi

The blue color you are seeing isn't the "background" color, it's the color of the plane underneath the model.

I've started a Wiki for this utility and, although there isn't much there yet, it turns out that your question is already addressed there: http://blueimaging.wikia.com/

Edited by iceleftd

I'm having trouble understanding how to change the background color.

OK do it like this (step-by-step "HOW TO"):

1. go to BlueRender folder

2. find there file named "scene.sc" and opens it in any text reader (Windows: Notepad, Wordpad etc.)

3. find there a section looking something like this:

background {
   color { "sRGB nonlinear" 1 1 1 }
}

4. now change those 3 float numbers there after "sRGB nonlinear" to any sRGB/RGB value you want - THAT'S IT! :wink:

...or if you in fact meant "baseplane color" then do the same as above except find code section looking like this and change the sRGB value there respectively:

shader {
   name PlaneMaterial
   type diffuse
   diff { "sRGB nonlinear" 0.3 0.6 0.976 }
}

Hope it helps a bit...

Edited by bublible

Great renderer, thanks to author. One thing i miss now is more polygonal parts, like axles with curved ends. Maybe it's possible to use my own custom models for some bricks instead of models from LDD?

Edited by Victor Imaginator

Great renderer, thanks to author. One thing i miss now is more polygonal parts, like axles with curved ends. Maybe it's possible to use my own custom models for some bricks instead of models from LDD?

???

Real lego parts have small chamfers, while LDD uses simplified versions. It cause renders to look flat in some places. I wonder if it's possible to use custom 3d models of parts instead of simplified ones.

fsfdhgbhfjqcijezg.jpg

Real lego parts have small chamfers, while LDD uses simplified versions. It cause renders to look flat in some places. I wonder if it's possible to use custom 3d models of parts instead of simplified ones.

That is not a problem of parts but simply BR does not support brick seams yet (nor "logo-on-stud") therefore it looks flat as one object although there are two bricks interconnected with the same color + in a way you can: if you are able export your brick model as .obj file (but with no UV mapping, else it won't work at the moment - BEWARE!!!) then via file-mesh and some fine tuning you will achieve that (I made just that with crater baseplate which is not present in LDD yet it is in my BlueRender LDD renders :wink: )

20150705_brcraterbaseplate.png

Edited by bublible

I can model parts from scratch, no need to export something. Question is - how to use these obj instead of default in BR then?

Ehm, seems like we did not understand here each other or something: in case you want use this kind-of your own parts in BlueRender YOU HAVE TO EXPORT THEM FROM YOUR 3D MODELING SW AS .OBJ FILE - without it you cannot use it in BR.

As of yet it is not possible right away BUT we are actually working on it with @msx80 (in fact we have this new feature in place right now - I was able to achieve that for him/us - so I guess in new version of BR he will add it there), so you have to wait for it anyway...just wanted to let you know it is definitely possible! :wink:

Edited by bublible

Hi guys, i've been i've been not reading the thread for a while :P But i've been working on making some basic parameters editable without touching the scene file. Here's how it will look like. Is it ok? :)

s9bHhpY.png

Hi guys, i've been i've been not reading the thread for a while :P But i've been working on making some basic parameters editable without touching the scene file. Here's how it will look like. Is it ok? :)

s9bHhpY.png

wow..thanks..cant wait for the updates

What's about adding an option of such a curved mesh instead of plane to kill the horizon line?

2OBN4kC.png

Not bad :D

You could also add AntiAliasing and image filter type as well and so there would be like complete IMAGE attributes available to those who do not know how to do it in .sc

What's about adding an option of such a curved mesh instead of plane to kill the horizon line?

Just export it as .obj from Blender (without any UV) and import to BR via .sc "file-mesh"