msx80

[Software] Bluerender, a rendering engine for LDD

Does Bluerender have a piece limit? I JUST finished a 5200 piece MOC and it won't render. It says 'Finished in 942 minutes' (or another 900 minute) and won't render.

I don't think I can reduce the piece count without heavily changing the model.. I can TRY but I'd like to know if there was a way to have it render.

On 7/12/2016 at 1:05 AM, CM4Sci said:

Does Bluerender have a piece limit? I JUST finished a 5200 piece MOC and it won't render. It says 'Finished in 942 minutes' (or another 900 minute) and won't render.

I don't think I can reduce the piece count without heavily changing the model.. I can TRY but I'd like to know if there was a way to have it render.

I don't think BR has a piece limit. I could render 5187 pieces 10179: Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon (with some other pieces) at 800x600 pixels. Does your model above the horizon plane? If not, you should make your model above the horizon plane, because 10179 can't rendered if it under the horizon plane {the error shows (java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1)}. To fix it you must (CTRL+A) and move the place of the model and then place it again (can be on same place), so it can be above the horizon plane.

Anyway, we have different error.

Can't wait to see your MOA LEGO Store! :grin:

Edited by KamalMYafi

Just for the info, I (and no doubt others) rendered scenes¹ with tens of thousands parts.

On a small i3 with 4GiB of RAM, so memory isn’t an issue either.

¹ E.g. a street of all the modular buildings. Way more difficult to place them in LDD without it crashing than to render them in Bluerender :laugh:

So, I've run into a frustrating problem with Bluerender. I recently upgraded to a new system with Windows 10, installed the latest revision of Java on it, and went to render a model using a Bluerender directory copied from my old laptop which was running Windows 8.1. The first render went pretty much as expected, it rendered a 4,000 pixel wide image of a complex 630 piece model with no problems. But then I tried to render again, this time at 800x600 with 30 step rotation (for purposes of making a GIF spinnie). And Bluerender just completely freezes a split second after I hit "Render" and won't do anything. It doesn't even start rendering, nothing is generated in the command window either. I tried force closing and reopening Bluerender several times, I even rebooted my system but now it just completely freezes whenever I try to render with it, no matter what the settings are. No error message, the app just freezes. What's more puzzling is that it did it's first render on my new system just fine?

I'd really appreciate if somebody could help me to get Bluerender to behave on my new system as it does render models a lot quicker than my old machine (when it doesn't freeze :tongue: ), but for now it seems that I have to render on my slower Windows 8.1 laptop because it still runs Bluerender without it freezing. Just as I thought I could ditch that awful OS altogether :look:

So, I've run into a frustrating problem with Bluerender. I recently upgraded to a new system with Windows 10, installed the latest revision of Java on it, and went to render a model using a Bluerender directory copied from my old laptop which was running Windows 8.1. The first render went pretty much as expected, it rendered a 4,000 pixel wide image of a complex 630 piece model with no problems. But then I tried to render again, this time at 800x600 with 30 step rotation (for purposes of making a GIF spinnie). And Bluerender just completely freezes a split second after I hit "Render" and won't do anything. It doesn't even start rendering, nothing is generated in the command window either. I tried force closing and reopening Bluerender several times, I even rebooted my system but now it just completely freezes whenever I try to render with it, no matter what the settings are. No error message, the app just freezes. What's more puzzling is that it did it's first render on my new system just fine?

I'd really appreciate if somebody could help me to get Bluerender to behave on my new system as it does render models a lot quicker than my old machine (when it doesn't freeze :tongue: ), but for now it seems that I have to render on my slower Windows 8.1 laptop because it still runs Bluerender without it freezing. Just as I thought I could ditch that awful OS altogether :look:

Never mind, the problem looks like it was down to Bluerender 0.0.0.5beta and Windows 10 not getting along, I tried downloading the 0.0.0.6 preview version and it's not seizing up when I hit "render" anymore. So 0.0.0.6 I'll have to use then!

Hey I'm making some 360 view Video's off my LDD Models, but it takes quite a long time, is there anyway I can dedicate more Ram to the process like in AE or C4d?

Can't seem to render top hat prints, Leprechaun and Mr. Good and Evil. Just leaves them blank.

Hey I'm making some 360 view Video's off my LDD Models, but it takes quite a long time, is there anyway I can dedicate more Ram to the process like in AE or C4d?

There is a setting called bucket which you put in just before system image block in .sc file. SunFlow wiki/documentation says that "A larger bucket size means more RAM usage and less time rendering." That's all I can find. There's a decent chance that Msx40 can tell you a bit more about RAM usage. ;)

Edited by inkpanther

Bluerender is excellent for adding lights to a model, its tricky though as you have to unpack the lfx file to get the coordinates, is there an easy way to make transparent bricks glow with maybe a janino shader?

lights.jpg

Pardon if this has already been asked, but is there a way to add a 100% custom decoration to a part? As I'd quite like to take the Wig No.99 piece and add a blue streak going across the hair as it's sweeping to the right. .-.

Pardon if this has already been asked, but is there a way to add a 100% custom decoration to a part? As I'd quite like to take the Wig No.99 piece and add a blue streak going across the hair as it's sweeping to the right. .-.

Modify or hack LDD software (including adding homemade bricks or decorations)

We don't encourage or provide support for this, as this kind of things violates LDD EULA. So please don't ask how to hack or modify LDD software and don't open new topics about that.

You can add it without hacking using LDD2Pov-Ray. This is the tutorial. But sadly that hair can't be edited.

Edited by KamalMYafi

You can add it without hacking using LDD2Pov-Ray. This is the tutorial. But sadly that hair can't be edited.

Okay, that's disappointing. I wish Lego would do more hair pieces with decorations like Wildstyle's hair and a few others. .-.

Okay, that's disappointing. I wish Lego would do more hair pieces with decorations like Wildstyle's hair and a few others. .-.

Doesn't really matter honestly, Bluerender won't render any decorations on that piece. :sad:

Okay, here's my first 0.6 beta render with customised decorations:

BNuIC5V.jpg

Older renders from 0.5:

5IN7JMR.png

sLn97wY.gif

QfDSFJa.png

O9fAoEt.gif

kqnKX5x.jpg

OE756mA.gif

I don't think I can stress just how much I love this program! ^^ Please, keep up the amazing work and continue to make it more awesome! c:

EDIT: Wait, wrong file on that first pic!! >< Sorry, that was an LDD screenshot, I'm dumb, got the file names mixed. Got the right pic there now though

Edited by Kamen Rider Kiva

msx80 - thank you so much for creating this software! I just discovered it this morning and it's so easy to use, and my digital models look great already. I know there's a lot more to learn about how to use it beyond pressing the "render" button, but I'll get there in time.

By the way - is there a way to make a really low-quality render to check colours, shadows, etc.? This sort of thing is useful in architectural software such as Revit and, while the wireframe render is useful to check the framing of the shot, it doesn't help with other things.

Thanks again for Bluerender!

There is a setting called bucket which you put in just before system image block in .sc file. SunFlow wiki/documentation says that "A larger bucket size means more RAM usage and less time rendering." That's all I can find. There's a decent chance that Msx40 can tell you a bit more about RAM usage. ;)

Yeah can't find it in the .sc file, I'll try and look something up in the .jars maybe I can find something there myself.

So I found out my laptop can only render so much. I can get about 5,600 pieces or so at 1200x720 (didn't try anything larger) in about three minutes time of render. But anything larger than that just gives me the completed window with the 900 or something number of minutes it took to render. Any ideas on to render a full 10k piece model aside from copy and pasting into LDD different sections and then just screenshotting the original with LDD's screengrabber?

By the way - is there a way to make a really low-quality render to check colours, shadows, etc.? This sort of thing is useful in architectural software such as Revit and, while the wireframe render is useful to check the framing of the shot, it doesn't help with other things.

You should be able to achieve this by editing scene file. Reducing quality of AA and lowering number of light samples should give you a quick low quality preview.

So I found out my laptop can only render so much. I can get about 5,600 pieces or so at 1200x720 (didn't try anything larger) in about three minutes time of render. But anything larger than that just gives me the completed window with the 900 or something number of minutes it took to render. Any ideas on to render a full 10k piece model aside from copy and pasting into LDD different sections and then just screenshotting the original with LDD's screengrabber?

^ My PC is having the same issue. Need everything to be together, though..

Number of pieces shouldn't be a problem. What you're describing is probably an effect of a wrong viewing angle or viewing distance - if you can see underside of building plane, then the result is black screen rendered in below 1 second (900ms is 900 milliseconds).

Number of pieces shouldn't be a problem. What you're describing is probably an effect of a wrong viewing angle or viewing distance - if you can see underside of building plane, then the result is black screen rendered in below 1 second (900ms is 900 milliseconds).

I don't even get that- no black screen. Just the rendering progress window pops up and then activity saying "Finished in 0:00:10.2". I'm looking at the command window and I see "Exception in thred "Thread-8" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space". Is my computer not powerful enough to run it?

I don't even get that- no black screen. Just the rendering progress window pops up and then activity saying "Finished in 0:00:10.2". I'm looking at the command window and I see "Exception in thred "Thread-8" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space". Is my computer not powerful enough to run it?

Previously, you said "But anything larger than that just gives me the completed window with the 900 or something number of minutes it took to render." ;P

Anyway, I'm not an expert (feel free to call me an idiot, just explain when and how I'm wrong while you're at it) but I think it basically says that it run out of available memory, which would suggest that a) your machine has not enough physical RAM or b) your rendering settings are so high that it needs access to more RAM than default limit it is set to.

I don't know specs of your machine, but I suspect that if system monitor shows that absolutely all of available RAM is being used while rendering something in BR, then it probably has not enough of physical memory. Otherwise, you can try changing default line in bluerender.bat from

java -cp "bin/*" bluerender.BlueRender

to

java -Xmx2048m -cp "bin/*" bluerender.BlueRender

-Xmx parameter sets maximum Java heap size. By default maximum heap size of 1/4 of physical memory up to 1 GB is used, so try setting something higher.

-Xmx parameter sets maximum Java heap size. By default maximum heap size of 1/4 of physical memory up to 1 GB is used, so try setting something higher.

Note that the G suffix is also understood: 2048M = 2G. Shorter to use with nowadays memory sizes :grin:

By the way, the “up to 1 GB” is valid for the client JVM. Isn’t the server JVM the default one everywhere now?

By the way, the “up to 1 GB” is valid for the client JVM. Isn’t the server JVM the default one everywhere now?

I don't know, probably... ;) The documentations is a bit convoluted in regards to 32/64 bit stuff and I could have quoted something incorrectly.