The Future of Ninjago  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Ninjago to continue in the coming years?

• Of course!
    • Why not? Seems to be doing alright.
    • No.
    • I wish they'd end it already!

With all the Ninjago polls floating around here, I thought I'd make another one.

Ninjago has been around now for FIVE years! That is amazing for an action theme! To top that, Ninjago is in its prime now- sales are still strong and are even climbing from what I have seen.

What do you think will happen to the Ninjago line in the upcoming years? Will it continue? If so, what will the overall theme be next year? Will it be canceled? Will it be replaced? What effect will the movie have on the theme? Post your opinions here!

I'd be ok if it kept going but I kinda wanta to see a new theme, we've been seeing the same themes for a few years now.

That is pretty much the opposite of how I think about it :sceptic: , we've had so many different enemy's (look at the other great poll :wink: ) that I have a hard time imagining what types they have left to make, without ruining the concept of Ninjago. I think less tech and more dragons and shrines was a great decision. So maybe... I don't know

Well, Ninjago is definitely going to try and maintain its strength for at least the next two years, since it has a movie planned for fall 2017. I am not sure how the theme's story will be handled, though. We heard that the movie will have a story that diverges from the TV show, which seems to suggest a new continuity. And LEGO has generally avoided having multiple concurrent continuities in order to prevent confusion (unlike, say, Transformers and TMNT, which have separate continuities between their movies and cartoons). So could LEGO be planning a "grand finale" for the current Ninjago story leading up to a cinematic reboot? Conversely, could the delayed release (originally 2016, now 2017) mean that LEGO is trying to rewrite it to have a shared continuity in the wake of the growing success of the current story?

Anything's possible... But for a Ninjago movie to be successful, it would have to be written as an entry point for new fans, which means it couldn't require fans to already be familiar with the story and characters. Even with Ninjago's popularity on the upswing, that'd be a huge risk. Maybe LEGO will try the multiple continuities thing for a change.

As far as the sets are concerned, I think there's still room for growth. After all, even with more minifigures than ever before, it's important to remember that kids aren't always completionists. Some are happy enough to have the main characters in one costume each, or to have a handful of enemies for them to fight, rather than needing EVERY bit-part minion or EVERY main character variant.

Also, there's room for other types of sets, such as a constraction series like Chima had for the last two years, or battle packs like Chima has this year. I would not be the least bit surprised if the year the movie comes out we get a CMF series like we got for The LEGO Movie, since that offers a low-priced entry point for new buyers and a chance to include more minor characters and costumes in physical form.

This poll isn't going to be as helpful in this subforum since it's mostly Ninjago fans reading it. :laugh: But I saw the thread in the new posts, so here's my take on it.

I thought Ninjago was really cool when it first started. I bought one set on clearance. It was that ninja training camp thingy set. I thought the old Ninja theme was making a comeback, and everything was awesome.

Then things started getting weird. They changed the clothing so they don't even look like ninjas anymore. :sceptic: And why would a ninja be riding in a plane or a car? That doesn't make any sense. I miss the old ninja theme. To me, all of these weird changes ruined a good thing. The kids still like it, but would they have liked it less if they had stayed more traditional like the 1990s theme? I don't think so. Ninjas are cool. Kids love ninjas. Skeleton warriors are cool. Why do we need vehicles and ninjas who don't look like ninjas?

Well, Ninjago is definitely going to try and maintain its strength for at least the next two years, since it has a movie planned for fall 2017. I am not sure how the theme's story will be handled, though. We heard that the movie will have a story that diverges from the TV show, which seems to suggest a new continuity. And LEGO has generally avoided having multiple concurrent continuities in order to prevent confusion (unlike, say, Transformers and TMNT, which have separate continuities between their movies and cartoons). So could LEGO be planning a "grand finale" for the current Ninjago story leading up to a cinematic reboot? Conversely, could the delayed release (originally 2016, now 2017) mean that LEGO is trying to rewrite it to have a shared continuity in the wake of the growing success of the current story?

Anything's possible... But for a Ninjago movie to be successful, it would have to be written as an entry point for new fans, which means it couldn't require fans to already be familiar with the story and characters. Even with Ninjago's popularity on the upswing, that'd be a huge risk. Maybe LEGO will try the multiple continuities thing for a change.

It's two years away - perhaps they're planning on a soft reboot, with "next generation" characters? Yes, it's only two years away, but the speed at which they shove out new lines...I'm still trying to finish collecting all four Technoblades, let alone the Tournament of Elements...and now there's another line due out in a few months...

There's going to be a hard reset for the movie and the sets will match up to the new direction it takes. Or even a retread come the fact that a whole new audience of children will be around to eat it up.

No one wants to recall years of TV show these days. I don't know, it is all guessing games right now.

@Aanchir I think a CMF series would be great, especially if it were to include the remaining elemental masters or even the postman and Misako. I guess that is a little too much wishful thinking though...

Maybe a few sets similar to the Bionicle Stars wave?

Returning to my predictions concerning enemies:

No:

- more snakes

- aliens (BIG no!)

- more ghosts

- more robots

- zombies

Yes(?):

- beasts/demons from the Underworld

- evil samurai (somehow, because "just evil humans" is not Lego's style)

- evil individuals (a bit like UA)

- probably another dragon

Well, I can't come up with more possibilities at the moment. From the good guys side, I think we will just see more amazing suit designs for the ninja and I hope a few traditional Japanese/Chinese villagers (hair-under-strawhat-mould plz!). Most of all, I hope Ninjago won't die a slow, painful death.

Edited by Exetrius

No one wants to recall years of TV show these days. I don't know, it is all guessing games right now.

Actually, if the LEGO Message Boards are any indication, the target audience has no problem with the length of the TV show - if anything, it's one of the theme's stronger points.

No:

- aliens (BIG no!)

Ooh, imagine if Ninjago was invaded by the Hypaxxi! :drool:

Never going to happen(although they wouldn't need to make any new molds...), but it'd be awesome if it did...

- beasts/demons from the Underworld

- evil samurai (somehow, because "just evil humans" is not Lego's style)

- evil individuals (a bit like UA)

- probably another dragon

By all that is good, Lego we need Dragon Villains! Like Chima styled villains, but dragons. PLEASE!!

I can see Ninjago trying it's hardest to stay strong at least until the movie's release. I just hope that if they go for an endgame approach with the show, it will be as good, if not better than season 2.

Chima styled dragon villains, you mean, like this: http://i1-news.softp...ts-442449-3.jpg ? Could be cool. I thought the cultists were cool with there anacondrai tatoos, but dragon tatoos would be even better :wub:

Maybe it could be the 2nd Tournament of Elements and more remaining elemental masters that never made before such as Neuro and Shade.

I think the biggest obstacle for this theme is finding a new theme or direction, if it continues next year. I'm not sure how many more places they can go! Snakes, undead skeletons, robots, fanatical snake people, stone Picasso looking things now ghosts and stuff!

Where do we go now? Where do we go?

I think the biggest obstacle for this theme is finding a new theme or direction, if it continues next year. I'm not sure how many more places they can go! Snakes, undead skeletons, robots, fanatical snake people, stone Picasso looking things now ghosts and stuff!

Where do we go now? Where do we go?

Cthulhu-like squid people in the seas around Ninjago? Dragon people? I think there are still plenty of possibilities for villains.

i still wouldnt mind some opposing human charcters. possibly the return of the overlord, his gold armor is out there, he should take control.of the other elemental.masters....I've had dreams about both Underground Ninjago sets with.Cole on the box and Western Ninjago.sets with Zane at the lead. Both were pretty cool... but sadly only dreams

I would say that.... I wish Ninjago to continue but doesn't monopolize the whole LEGO advertising. so that LEGO can pay attention to new action themes or other existed themes that lack advertisings. I think the cartoon series (tied with a product wave) should be once a year. The other upcoming season is abit too fast to me. Otherwise, since Chima comes to an end. there could be another series take that place.

@Aanchir I think a CMF series would be great,

The premise is that its diversities is as good as the TLM series. We should consider the unused cartoon characters first, and some of the ninja tournament contestants were probably good choices.

Oh. and remember to put Misako in any regular set. :tongue:

Edited by Dorayaki

Ninjas through time, Were the ninja's are trying to stop a villian from altering the past to get rid of ninjas, having characters like: the first Jitsu Master, young Sensai Wu, Young Garmadon, Master Morro, Young Ronin and many others.

i still wouldnt mind some opposing human charcters. possibly the return of the overlord, his gold armor is out there, he should take control.of the other elemental.masters....I've had dreams about both Underground Ninjago sets with.Cole on the box and Western Ninjago.sets with Zane at the lead. Both were pretty cool... but sadly only dreams

I've been hoping for an underwater ninja theme, but that is very unlikely.

I can honestly see Ninjago continuing for quite some time (after all, the movie is coming eventually), and with regards to villains, I can see them going to evil dragon people or something like that (any excuse to get moulded dragon wings and tails for minifigures is fine by me though, I have wanted to create an anthropomorphic dragon minifigure for quite some time).

Well, since Chima is gone, I guess I need Ninjago to occupy my interest and stop me regressing to purely being interested in constraction, and things other people have suggested, like dragon people, demons and cthulu for instance, would definitely keep me interested in the line. Evil humans, eh, not so much, unless the sets come with dragons or other fantasy beasts of course :grin:

Moulded dragon wings? Why introduce a new mold for those when Chima already made some perfect minifigure-size bat wings?

Moulded dragon wings? Why introduce a new mold for those when Chima already made some perfect minifigure-size bat wings?

Sorry, I meant a single mould for both wings and tail is what I'd like to see. Or folded minifig size dragon wings. Or armour with already integrated clips or just a minifig neck bracket with clips (3rd party customisers have already made them, high time LEGO followed really) to hold the Chima wings.

After all, we do already have a minifig neck bracket with 2 types of insect wing, why not the same but with dragon wings?

Anyway, that's what I'd like to see in future Ninjago anyhow. And really, dragon people? I think it's a no brainer, we all know dragons sell, so I'd be surprised if LEGO doesn't do this at some point.

Well, with season 5, just from wht i've seen, is opening some avenues for contiunation. I wouldn't mind seeing them accually killing off some charcters. Maybe new ninjas and a new sensei or one if not all of the current ninja becoming senseis of there respected element.

Underwater would be cool. Just no outerspace. They kinda already did that.

I'm honestly suprised they haven't reintroduced the Golden Weapons. If they do I wanna see some cool upgrades or Armor for the ninja made of the gold from the weapons.

A villain team of all female ninjas and a female sensei.

Sorry, I meant a single mould for both wings and tail is what I'd like to see. Or folded minifig size dragon wings. Or armour with already integrated clips or just a minifig neck bracket with clips (3rd party customisers have already made them, high time LEGO followed really) to hold the Chima wings.

After all, we do already have a minifig neck bracket with 2 types of insect wing, why not the same but with dragon wings?

Anyway, that's what I'd like to see in future Ninjago anyhow. And really, dragon people? I think it's a no brainer, we all know dragons sell, so I'd be surprised if LEGO doesn't do this at some point.

Dragon people that can mind control the ninja's elemental dragons and the Ultra Dragon (which is now basically irrelevant :/) perhaps?

Well, with season 5, just from wht i've seen, is opening some avenues for contiunation. I wouldn't mind seeing them accually killing off some charcters.

Won't happen. Characters don't die in Ninjago- they just poof! :laugh:

I'm honestly suprised they haven't reintroduced the Golden Weapons. If they do I wanna see some cool upgrades or Armor for the ninja made of the gold from the weapons.

They did. The Overlord's Golden Armor was forged from the Golden Weapons found on the asteroid.