mikaelsol

What is Lego Worlds?

Are you guys using this with a controller? I was using a touchpad on my laptop and the controls left something to be desired.

Also I didn't see any immediate means of changing the mini-figure you are... Is everyone starting out the same? (The woman geologist I think.)

I also read you could build with individual bricks, not sure if that's not implemented yet or I just missed it.

So I'm thinking in the future we'll start to have sets come with codes so you can have the set in Worlds? It sounds like a plausible idea, and it can be an almost DLC kind of thing.

That would make sense.

Are you guys using this with a controller? I was using a touchpad on my laptop and the controls left something to be desired.

Also I didn't see any immediate means of changing the mini-figure you are... Is everyone starting out the same? (The woman geologist I think.)

I also read you could build with individual bricks, not sure if that's not implemented yet or I just missed it.

I don't own the game yet, but I do know that your starting minifigure is random (EDIT: Oops, guess not.), and I'm pretty sure individual brick-building is already implemented, seeing as it was in the trailer, which used only in-game footage. And the game does have full controller support, and I would expect it probably would work better with a controller.

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

I used a mouse and keyboard. it is a bit clunky. I heard controllers are better for this game apparently.

You start out with either male or female geologist, as you meet people in the lego world they are unlocked and then you can buy them using studs you have collected. Once you buy them, you will have access to change into them or use their parts to make a custom minifig.

when building you can only use specific basic building blocks. I didn't see any technic or wheels parts. so probably no building cars. you can collect vehicles around the area thou.

I bought the game and played it for an hour or so. its fun but not a lot to do so far.

Also I would have prefer the Minecraft method of placing down single bricks instead of the whole, paint brush type effect.

Edited by tehkei

Using the touchpad on a laptop for most games (the ones that aren't turn-based) generally never works out well in my opinion.

Also, I'm pretty sure that everyone starts out with the same three geologist figures, given that they were the only three figures in my collection when I started. In the Kotaku video someone posted a couple pages back, you can see the guy starts off with the geologist figures as well.

I found the way to switch figures and free build with bricks. Wasn't easy to built, foudn trees and things getting in the way of the camera, I couldn't tell which side of the brick the texture was on (was using those 2x1 bricks with vertical ridges on one side and horizontal on the other.)

Still needs a lot of work but I see a lot of potential.

Would be amazing if you could import your LDD files at some point.

Would be amazing if you could import your LDD files at some point.

They already do, apparently...

However, we do have the ability in place to let you add any Models that you create in the LEGO Digital Designer;

http://ldd.lego.com/

Install you're LXFML model files into this directory;

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment\LEGO Worlds\Mods\Models

In fact, you can also load any of your exported models into this tool too!

Not sure how this will really compete with Minecraft. Minecraft's popularity exploded because it allowed custom content, with this it seems you will have to earn the right to customize your characters :/

Not sure how this will really compete with Minecraft. Minecraft's popularity exploded because it allowed custom content, with this it seems you will have to earn the right to customize your characters :/

I don't think Minecraft was created with the intention of being what I think must be the most modded game of all time. It just happened because of the game's code being modular and easy to mod. (Once the community had developed the Minecraft Coder's Pack, of course. I hear that before that was created Minecraft modding was extremely difficult and mods often would be incompatible with each other.)

And besides, Minecraft makes you have to earn the right to diamonds. (Before Creative Mode was added in the Adventure Update (Beta 1.8), of course.) The folks at RRU have already discovered how to unlock every character/vehicle with a bit of modding (That was fast!)

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

I'm looking forward to see how this develops, spent a couple of enjoyable hours on it last night running around and getting a feel of it. But I have to echo the common complaints, poor game and camera controls.

I'm hyped for this game. I was going to get Minecraft when I got a new Laptop. But now I think this game will take its place.

Two things though

1: Will there be a non steam version? I don't want to have to get a steam account for just this game.

2: As a huge fan of Lego skeletons I have to ask. Did they really need to be the enemies? I want to see more Good guy Skeletons in games.

I'm hyped for this game. I was going to get Minecraft when I got a new Laptop. But now I think this game will take its place.

Two things though

1: Will there be a non steam version? I don't want to have to get a steam account for just this game.

2: As a huge fan of Lego skeletons I have to ask. Did they really need to be the enemies? I want to see more Good guy Skeletons in games.

1. The game will more than definitely be released to PCs in general once it is finished, albeit probably for a much higher price than Steam's early access is offering it for right now. I think it will probably also be released for consoles, seeing as the PC version seems to work best with a controller.
  2. You can play as a skeleton, so does that count? Unfortunately it seems that skeletons are rarely good guys in Lego sets and games.

Today the 'hold right mouse button to move camera around' function broke for me, which made an already difficult-to-control camera just about impossible to deal with. I'd also like to be able to change the vehicle control schemes from tank-style to something a bit more traditional, as with the camera broken it's difficult to do anything but drive in a straight line (and heaven help you if the vehicle manages to get turned around at all).

Oh, don't go discounting Minecraft straight off - it's extremely popular for good reason. Getting Minecraft, The Stanley Parable, and Lego Worlds (Or Minecraft and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) would still cost you nearly the same as a copy of GTA5...

I would hold off on Lego Worlds for a couple months, or at least until the next major content update, because right now there's nothing to do apart from collecting things by walking into them and building. At least for me, there isn't that much appeal in just those things - hence why I'm not nearly as excited that I bought it straightaway.

I've been watching a few gameplay clips of the game, and I'm impressed! I'm just annoyed that some comments on Youtube say 'ughhh, a MiNeCrAfT cloen!' It seems that any company that makes a game where you can build in an open world, is instantly flagged as a knock-off competitor to Minecraft. Its quite irritating really.

I'll probably wait out for a while until I buy it, as I'dd like to see some newer features added, such as towns and villages, underwater adventures and multiplayer!

Is there any sort of news on objectives in the game? I'd like if there was some sort of mini-missions in the game like build a fort and defend it, or compete in car races (would be good for multiplayer!)

Just throwing out some thoughts haha!

They already do, apparently...

Well I just tried the LDD import function. Any models you put in that folder are indeed available from the Brick Builds option, of course they don't have an icon image of what they really look like, just a place holder.

Unfortunately not one of the 12 I tried looked even remotely like I had hoped. Some of the reason is just missing bricks I guess. However there is more than just this. Some taller buildings that were made with bricks I know are in Words simply appeared sideways, with bricks in the wrong direction, and some completely different bricks then were used in LDD.

It is a long way aways from useful imports but I'm glad they are planning on making it a working option,

Well I just tried the LDD import function. Any models you put in that folder are indeed available from the Brick Builds option, of course they don't have an icon image of what they really look like, just a place holder.

Unfortunately not one of the 12 I tried looked even remotely like I had hoped. Some of the reason is just missing bricks I guess. However there is more than just this. Some taller buildings that were made with bricks I know are in Words simply appeared sideways, with bricks in the wrong direction, and some completely different bricks then were used in LDD.

It is a long way aways from useful imports but I'm glad they are planning on making it a working option,

Would you mind taking a couple of screenshots?

Yep, using an Xbox controller. It's the only one that seems to work; the PS3 controller doesn't.

Yea, we all start out the same, but right from the bat you can switch to the male explorer. You can find other guys walking around the world and you can buy them and play as them.

And yep, you can build with individual bricks. It's in the menu in the top left.

I've been watching a few gameplay clips of the game, and I'm impressed! I'm just annoyed that some comments on Youtube say 'ughhh, a MiNeCrAfT cloen!' It seems that any company that makes a game where you can build in an open world, is instantly flagged as a knock-off competitor to Minecraft. Its quite irritating really.

I'll probably wait out for a while until I buy it, as I'dd like to see some newer features added, such as towns and villages, underwater adventures and multiplayer!

Is there any sort of news on objectives in the game? I'd like if there was some sort of mini-missions in the game like build a fort and defend it, or compete in car races (would be good for multiplayer!)

Just throwing out some thoughts haha!

This would be good. I've been playing around and all there is to do is collect characters and animals and build stuff. Not great, but it's a start. I'd love some towns and stuff. Treasure chests, dungeons, who knows.

Watching TTV's first part of the game. I can at least be glad that skeletons aren't the main enemy. I hope you can place friendly skeletons as npc in the full game

edeRbXR.png

OK, I made everything in LDD. If you use basic bricks that are in the game it works fairly well. on the right are the Twin Towers from my World Trade Center/Twin Towers set on Lego Ideas. The towers came in OK but the antenna on the one building did not.

Edited by BirdOPrey5

A few months ago, a friend of mine from LU told me she was emailed a chance to beta test something like LU. I figured it was something a few years from now and forgot about it. Then Meiko mentioned some sort of NDA from LEGO, but I wasn't old enough (at the time) to sign it myself.

I think I missed a chance to join Closed Beta Testing for this game. Shame on me.

Anyways, having logged about 25 hours of gameplay since I started late monday night, I've had a lot of fun. I've unlocked everything possible without Mods, built labyrinths under cave networks, created underwater towns, built kingdoms in the sky and more. It's immensely enjoyable, and this is coming from a user who got bored of Minecraft.

It's more like an upgraded LEGO Creator, and I could name a plethora of reasons to buy it. At $14.99 for early access, it's worth it.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/540776644811995210/50A4D67B3D9AA43A589933EC54DDEE731BFFA3B6/

Edited by Starrocks923

My Lego Worlds client updated just now when I opened Steam - it wasn't too big, but it did come with some bug fixes:

"- Additional Fix for launching the game with locale set to Japan

- Fix for launching the game with Oculus HMD connected

- Fix for launching with corrupted/badly edited pcconfig.txt file

- Fix for the black screen issues / Window minimizing issues being encountered "

(The full announcement is here.)

I find it interesting that they say that they've been 'overwhelmed by how supportive this rapidly growing community has become!'. I guess it goes to show just how popular this could be if Early Access works out well for them!

I'm having a lot of fun

ByYG3Ew.jpg

Now I'm wanting to see someone do Fallingwater and Robie House.

Q: Is Technic in here?

find it interesting that they say that they've been 'overwhelmed by how supportive this rapidly growing community has become!'. I guess it goes to show just how popular this could be if Early Access works out well for them!

I think in its current state, Lego Worlds is performing far more better than they had expected it to be.

I'm gonna pop into Argo's on the way home from work, so I can buy a Steam £20 gift card (and obviously some Lego!) to purchase the game later today. Im excited.

Now I'm wanting to see someone do Fallingwater and Robie House.

Q: Is Technic in here?

A: No, there is no Technic bricks in the game yet. At the moment only the standard studs-up bricks, plates, tiles, and slopes are available to build with.