Sign in to follow this  
nebraska

MOC: World War 2 Saint Nazaire version 2.5

My dry dock has expanded over the past 5 years and recently I've added custom tables which included a complete rehab of the dock itself. The new version includes the canal that runs along the back side with locks. The buildings, which used to be halves, are now full sized. A new fuel depot has been added at the far side. The space between the dry dock and the buildings has been expanded so everything isn't as cramped.

This will be on display at World War Brick - Minneapolis in June along with my B-24 Liberator and the U-505.

17869225320_d162737708_c.jpgsaint nazaire 4

17868965838_1a94b8e370_c.jpgsaint nazaire 2

18056867975_70d6d41d78_c.jpgsaint nazaire 1

17869241290_f1fdbe4198_c.jpgsaint nazaire 5

18053573872_60460b2b64_c.jpgsaint nazaire 3

17436453913_f8b1763322_c.jpgsaint nazaire 9

18056969975_4230332b85_c.jpgsaint nazaire 8

17870701599_8db59e4926_c.jpgsaint nazaire 6

Very stunning MOC! So much details, and the lighting is excellent. :classic:

I'm very curious about your source material, because I happens to be born and raised in Saint Nazaire, and I'm fond of its WW2 history. I don't recognize the dry dock by since almost all the town was destroyed by allies bombing...

Very stunning MOC! So much details, and the lighting is excellent. :classic:

I'm very curious about your source material, because I happens to be born and raised in Saint Nazaire, and I'm fond of its WW2 history. I don't recognize the dry dock by since almost all the town was destroyed by allies bombing...

It's the Louis Joubert Lock - also known as the Normandie Dock. It was the target of the Allies in the Greatest Raid of All Time which much have been written about. The canal with locks is the entrance to the Bassin of Saint Nazaire and will be moved to the left as the layout expands. The floodgate next to the Schnellboot lead to the Atlantic while the other floodgate lead to the Bassin of Penhoet. It was rebuilt at the end of WW2 and still functions today.

There are quite a few books about the subject but very little with photos of old town. The power station survived which is under construction in Lego form as well as Old Mole....also a rather large concrete structure. I have collected quite a few photos of u-boats in and around the port from World War 2 as source material.

I guessed it was the Joubert Lock, but the canal next to it didn't looked familiar. I found a map of the port in 1942, bit you probably already seen it:

Saint_Nazaire_Harbour_1942.png

It's nice to see such a great MOC from my hoùmmetown :sweet:

Okay, so this MOC is just AMAZING, AWESOME, etc., :wub: and Indy Jones there too :grin: .......totally AWESOME ! :grin:

Brick On 'nebraska' ! :grin:

How is this not front page!! Boats, subs, trains, cranes, buildings, lights...the list goes on of all the amazing details. Any chance for some shot of the cut-away sub?

All your work is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

love this MOC which just keeps getting bigger every year,cant wait to see more getting added to it,(is this Nate Flood) from MOC pages