EddScott

My attempt at a 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon!

This is only my 2nd post on here and with a fist full of good intentions and lots of ambition I've decided to jump in with both feet and attempt to build a 10179 Falcon. I know it's not very original and there are quite a few examples however, I'd like to think mine will have that extra factor of being built by someone who isn't quite sure what he's doing. There are some lovingly crafted build logs on here for me to gather inspiration and building tips. Not entirely sure this build log will be to a similar standard but at least it has the potential of creating a little amusement as I blindly stumble along towards my goal.

I only have 2 Lego sets at the moment. Technic 42009 Crane which has been very enjoyable but still not quite finished. And Benny's Spaceship which is on display on a shelf inbetween my RC cars. My main hobby is RC cars, racing and restoring so I'm fairly used to hunting for rare parts in order to complete the restorations. I've come close to running out of cars that I wanted to restore and add to my collection which is why I've decided to have a crack at something different.

I'm unlikely to add anything new to the build process although as the project matures I might add mods along the way. So, with a fairly basic grasp of bricklink and a print off of my parts wanted for the Falcon, my first task is to create an excel sheet with the parts, the prices, and any notes regarding replacement of OE parts with cheaper items to save costs.

I'll update the thread as and when parts arrive and of course the eventual build process.

Thanks for reading :)

Edited by EddScott

Bricklinking the UCS Falcon is one of those epic bucket list things that many Star Wars/Lego fans have, myself included. There is something almost spiritual about doing it from scratch and the challenge of making compromises where possible without spoiling the look, maybe even enhancing it with mods. It's one model where I actually think used and replacement parts suit the whole "bucket of bolts" theme. Maybe one day I will have the spare funds and time, but in the meantime I love a good UCS Falcon build log. Good luck!

Make sure you make a spreadsheet from the bricklink inventory and create a wanted list to keep track of all your orders or you're going to end up spending a fortune.

As Markalus said, used pieces and old gray pieces look fantastic with the set. I tried to strategically place my old gray pieces in mine and I wish I had had more of them to use.

Edited by Schneeds

Definitely a fun project, and when finished all those countless hours spent bricklinking etc will truly make it worth it! Good luck!

Thank you all for the encouraging words. So first off, a spreadsheet of the parts. Item Number, Quantity, Description, cost, Visible, Alternative parts etc etc

I know some folk who great skills have these posh databases etc but this is the best my lowly GCSEs can manage :)

med_gallery_1222_96_120380.jpg

I've given Brickficiency. a quick blast and I think it should prove useful. From the experience of others I'm going to put in a fair bit of planning before I actually start to purchase parts. Someone very kindly posted a list of the parts which are not visible which might help reduce the costs. I'll update the spreadsheet to show the non-visible parts and where cost is saved update the alternative parts used list.

I'm unlikely to go for big mods in the form of interiors although they look fantastic. However, the one mod I really like is the engines like this - hope the creator is ok for me to share. What I might do is create a seperate page on the spreadsheet to provide parts lists for any mods carried out along the way.

15962804919_875b3d58aa_o.jpg

Once the above is lit it looks superb IMHO. The plan here would be to substitute the OE parts for the parts required for the mod at the purchase phase to save buying parts that will ultimately be unused. However, one thing that I'm not sure about is how is the curve achieved? I don't quite get how the parts stay together without creating a ridged line.

Once I've tweaked the parts list my only real question is where to start. I'm thinking to set myself a budget for the first round of purchases, say £100, and buy in order on the spreadsheet and keep to as few shops as possible to keep postage costs to a minimum. I'm also thinking should I go for the buy a brick option via Lego direct or stick with BL. Try both and see which provides the most bits for the least cost is the obvious answer.

I'll update once I've got the sheet near to what parts I'm actually going to get and details of the first order.

Thanks for reading :)

Edited by EddScott

However, one thing that I'm not sure about is how is the curve achieved? I don't quite get how the parts stay together without creating a ridged line.

Lego bricks have a wee bit of give in them. If you use 1x2 bricks and plates, as this mod does, and stagger them like a brick wall, you can then bend them into a curve. If you have a bunch of small bricks handy, give it a go! It's immensely satisfying.

There are a number of posts on the eurobricks forum that go into detail about alternate parts/colors that can be used for significant savings. If memory serves Lobot had a very useful post from when he tackled it. The engine mod is a great cost saver that looks fantastic. I know I saved a lot of money reversing the light/dark gray color combinations on the hinges. Also, some of the parts can be gotten much cheaper from PAB and Bricks n Pieces than bricklink.

I've been slowly getting parts to do this myself... On hand, I have 162 of 266 lots with two more small orders inbound.

Enjoy!

Having just completed my own the UCS Millenium Falcon with the same engine mod, allow me to share my write up of the implementation. Make sure you follow the link at the bottom of my post to the mecabricks.com website. There is a parts list available there that should help you figure out what additional parts you need to pick up.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=90828&st=25#entry2213056

In hindsight, my only regret is not documenting my build process. Good luck and have fun!

I'm just embarking on this quest myself too... haven't yet started a thread (but will) so I'm interested in the same thing's you're asking. Especially money saving. I thought I was being clever the other day finding three reasonably priced bricklink sellers and ordering from all three at once. It seemed to be working out decent value for money, until I realised minimum spend and average lot cost restrictions. (I'm a bricklink noob....). Anyhow, three hours wasted there....

I've fished out approx. 1000 parts from my own collection to start... quite a few old grey tiles so won't b a full match. I'm seeing it as an opportunity to perhaps jazz up t colour scheme a little as I go dependant on cost an working out what bit's go where.

Good luck with your project.

Edit: Daphtty - Am I correct in thinking the engine mod is simply a line of alternate grey plates and clear bricks 'forced' o shape and doesn't use hinges? I assume this not only saves money but I better if I were to add lights in the future?

Edited by Covenant84

Make sure you make a spreadsheet from the bricklink inventory and create a wanted list to keep track of all your orders or you're going to end up spending a fortune.

When I MOC'd my SSD (yesyes, I know I still haven't posted it yet. . .) I made the mistake of not generating a spreadsheet to keep track of what I needed and what I had, and was forever double ordering or forgetting pieces only to find a Bricklink seller I used last week had the one piece I was missing this week. That model was designed and built without any LDD, and I created a photo reference building instructions (which I will use to recreate an LDD file at some point). So yes, absolutely generate a spreadsheet as with building something with 3K+ pieces you are going to lose track of something at some point.

*Sigh*, . . . I bult my first Millennium Falcon when I was about 11, in nineteen seventy*AHEM*. Sadly no pictures exist, but it was at a time when the most exotic brick I had was a roof slope or a 2x2x1 1/4 round brick. So, yes, as long as the Lego company don't roll out another UCS version any time soon, I'll be scratch building a Falcon - after every other MOC project I have in the pipeline.

The very best of success to you EddScott.

Defo agree that keeping tabs on what you have order is the tough part. My build has had several pauses when I've found I either had bits missing where I'd messed up the orders, or ordered too many of something else - the left and right handed slopes, plates and wedges being the main culprits.

What I will say is that you can save significant money by using more common parts, particularly on inside, which lets be honest, isn't on view.

18353170036_315fa363c8_z.jpg

The first haul of parts arrives. Obtained within the EU (ish) so fortunately no issues with customs etc. Mild concern for the 2nd batch on it's way from the US. When buying RC car stuff from the US, it always gets hammered for customs and Parcel Force charge something crazy like £13 just for the act of sending you the customs notice.

In other lego related news, I've finished 42009 Crane and it is awesome :) and I'll be starting on 76023 The Tumbler hopefully this weekend.

Hi,

I'm working on this too, I have around 60% of the parts in the correct color, maybe around 90% if I use other colors internally and compromise some. I plan to build it with my kids, so I'm not too fussy about exact color match or quality of parts.

Here's what I did...

1) Created a spreadsheet by importing the BriskSet CSV inventory.

2) Rooted through my old Lego, I got about 1000 parts.

3) Bought about 30 kg of Lego unsorted locally, this got me up to about 50% of the correct color.

4) Got in contact with a guy fairly close by who has built a Falcon and is working on another model. I had quite a few parts for his wish-list and he had a lot of parts for mine. I traded parts and some cache, which got me about 500 additional parts.

Buying a lot of bulk unsorted Lego can get you quite a few parts, but it takes a lot of time to sort through. I have sorted most of mine by part into ziplock bags, so I am in a good position to trade parts with anyone who is working on another project.

I'd highly recommend trying to hook up with a few contacts locally to trade parts with if you can. Its great to be able to help each other out and it saves a lot of money on having to order stuff.

Alan

I've seen some great mods adding internal detail. Does anyone know how much of the inner structure has to be re-done and how? What impact on strength does this have? Are there any instructions anywhere?

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post quick update as some parcels arrived. I'm now short about 1300 parts + bits I need for engine/radar mods with a total spend so far of £171.52 (ish). I'm expecting to need to replace some parts once I start building when I work out what goes where (I've assumed most of the technic isn't visible) so the larger bricks are all sorts of colours, although I have kept to greys/black where price was reasonable so hopefully I wont have too many issues. All funded via selling old stuff so nothing from the bank yet which should keep the wife happy. It's strictly in a box now though until the house move is finished at which point I need to recount properly and work out what I need for the last orders. Hopefully the last bits won't be too pricey... It's getting harder to find some of the bits cheaply and some parts have crazy prices so may minimise use of those, e.g. correct levers/telephones.

All I can say is keep a close eye on you left and right handed wedge orders (either plates or bricks), because I seem to have managed to end up with lop-sided numbers on several of them, which has caused build delays on several occasions.

Trouble is the little buggers look some much alike when in a bag together, that it's hard to spot!

That's why I hand counted every single brick in every order to keep track of things... but I still managed to "misplace" some parts during the build ending up re-ordering parts I already had in stock... oh well.

1x1 dark bley cones are on BNP right now, for 1/10th the cost on Bricklink.

Also available at good value are a few more pieces like the light bley taps and a few others.

Just ordered them tonight, for my own.

Edited by rollermonkey

Unfortunately the build has stalled a bit as I decided to wait for each order to come in, update the stock outstanding before making another order. An order from the states on 28th May hasn't materialised yet. Will wait till the end of the week before I chase it up. When ordering RC parts they usually arrive within a week or so.

I feel you. I have an order from Germany that has been lost since mid-may. I've given up on that arriving, ever, and have started getting in replacements for that order. Based on my inventory, up to what arrived yesterday, I just hit the milestone of 200 lots out of 266.

I was looking through the instructions and realized that if I even want to consider starting construction I need to get the 2x3 plates. At 200+, it's one of, if not the biggest lot in the whole thing. With that order, plus the one from BNP, I think I could start building, and get through at least step 38 of 97.

Also, some of the wedge and wedge plates are not in even numbers between left and right, Twelvebears, so you might actually have the right numbers!

Edited by rollermonkey

Well I've got a horrible feeling the order I've been waiting on isn't going to arrive. The sellers feedback in the last month has complaints of orders not being received.

Ho hum. Will take some time out this week to sort out another order - avoiding those parts from the troublesome order.

Quick questions:-

What is the best way to keep on top of my inventory and what I still need to purchase?

My bricklink wanted list still seems to show the total parts list. Should I check off the stock thats arrived with my excel spreadsheet and then delete that item from by bricklink wanted list?

Is there an easier/quicker way?

Edited by EddScott