Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

Diesel locomotive (7939 & 60098 style) with matching yellow expres

I was messing around in LDD and looking at pictures of set 60098 (Heavy Haul train, not yet released for 2015. See it here: https://www.flickr.c...s-55973205@N08/ ) when I realized I probably could do a lot better using set 7939, the look-alike Cargo Train from 2010.

17199508633_3c591e55d7_z.jpg

I turned the electric locomotive into a diesel, and stretched the frame to allow for a beefier engine area. I didn't think about motorizing it with Power Functions until now, but I did make it build-able in two more varieties in case you wanted to color match 60098 with the red one, or maybe build you own engine with the black one.

17633627899_f349920729_z.jpg

The cab still opens, and the driver can sit down and control the train from either end of the locomotive.

17633628169_01560c4eaa_z.jpg

This train was designed last year, but was unbuild-able until this year with the release of the back windscreen in trans-clear with a Marvel Superheroes set.

17197377354_f905dbc70d_z.jpg

The train consists of one baggage car, three passenger cars, and a observation lounge car. The rear car was based on the Milwaukee Road and it's beaver-tail observation cars.

Here is the LDD file for the yellow 7939-style engine and the accompanying train cars: http://www.mocpages....1431959052m.lxf

17632900800_f4dda68499_z.jpg

Here is the two other colors of the engine I was talking about earlier. The red one is supposed to represent 60098 (Heavy Haul Cargo train), while the yellow one is inspired by 7939 (Cargo Train). The black one is the only other color available for this type of engine.

By The Way: the letters BRS should go on the three exposed studs on the sides of the locomotive, while the numbers for the engines should go on the sides of the fuel tank. 7939 for the yellow one, 7045 for the black one (because that's the only set that cockpit part comes in!) and 7944 for the red one, as it matches the other engines in sequence and was used in the 2007 set of that number. (Fire Hovercraft)

... or you could use your own numbering scheme. :grin:

LDD file for the three different colored engines: http://www.mocpages.com/user_images/80135/1431958750m.lxf

Thoughts, comments, and complaints welcome!

The locomotive looks cool but pretty basic. Not wrong but i would suggest some more detail on the sides. And the coaches, well i could not do it better but the observation coach, Kinda to simple. Try some decorations. And the beavertails have more sloped ends. And the sloped window Is bigger than on the LDD design. I suggest yellow sloped bricks (roof pieces) and transparent ones for the window like the tiny turbos. And sloped bricks under the window for a more accurate design. This may sound like a lot of problems but the overall design is pretty nice!

The locomotive looks cool but pretty basic. Not wrong but i would suggest some more detail on the sides. And the coaches, well i could not do it better but the observation coach, Kinda to simple. Try some decorations. And the beavertails have more sloped ends. And the sloped window Is bigger than on the LDD design. I suggest yellow sloped bricks (roof pieces) and transparent ones for the window like the tiny turbos. And sloped bricks under the window for a more accurate design. This may sound like a lot of problems but the overall design is pretty nice!

Thank you. I will consider the changes you suggested, but I'm pretty sure the rear window is the same size as it's real-world counterpart. LDD hasn't failed me (yet) in that department.