I could never design anything like that.

Why not..? You've done some nice chassis in the past.. Or do you mean the style of this build..? Like that you "wouldn't" build in this style..?

Edited by Paul Boratko

If you were to remove the molded housing of the fake motor it may give you some flexibilty in terms of placement

Why not..? You've done some nice chassis in the past.. Or do you mean the style of this build..? Like that you "wouldn't" build in this style..?

No, I wouldn't be able to. I'm not creative enough to solve things like this in this scale. I'm struggling with a gearbox for a much bigger scale car with the same setup.

Sorry for the depressed comments. I'm about to fail again with a model, and with my building performace of two models per year, that's pretty upsetting.

I like the style of this build, the only very small thing I didn't like about the previous version is that the chassis had many eye candy but not actually structural elements. And in my opinion, for a Technic chassis, function is a priority.

But it's beautiful anyway.

Also, Here are some closeups of the gearbox Jeroen :blush:

17848431193_ff2b42696c_o.jpg

Again taking some time to figure it out...

Is there a reason that you first go right with the 8T gear and then go left again with the 2x 16T gears? Can't you go left immediately with 8T gear, that would save you two gears...?

And the spring on the rearaxle is located quite far off-center. Ideally you either get a second spring at the opposite side, or you move this one above the axle. Otherwise the spring wil have a tendency to buckle sideways instead of compressing.

I have a (very) strong feeling, that i want to build the final product. The whole WIP is very promising and it looks as some new ideas have been implemented. Could be a pleasure to rebuild it. Therefore: do you have plans for instructions? And if yes: fully stepped PDF or CAD file?

Last but not least: thank you for sharing this MOC!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I really appreciate it. As for the engine placement, I will think about it and see if I can position it higher and if that'll work.

I could never design anything like that.

Not to sound patronizing, but anything is possible if you put your mind to it. So don't give up! I have no doubt that you can come up with something much better if you really tried. :classic:

If you were to remove the molded housing of the fake motor it may give you some flexibilty in terms of placement

Unfortunately that wouldn't work because the engine acts as a rigid structure that connects the rear axle to the rest of chassis. Removing the molded housing would make it sloppy and weak :sceptic:

I like the style of this build, the only very small thing I didn't like about the previous version is that the chassis had many eye candy but not actually structural elements. And in my opinion, for a Technic chassis, function is a priority.

But it's beautiful anyway.

Haha, that's exactly why I decided to start over from scratch. It seemed like I was "wasting" pieces just for looks and it just wasn't right. This time I'm striving for looks as well as function.

Thanks btw :)

Again taking some time to figure it out...

Is there a reason that you first go right with the 8T gear and then go left again with the 2x 16T gears? Can't you go left immediately with 8T gear, that would save you two gears...?

And the spring on the rearaxle is located quite far off-center. Ideally you either get a second spring at the opposite side, or you move this one above the axle. Otherwise the spring wil have a tendency to buckle sideways instead of compressing.

For the gearbox, yeah because If I go left immediately with and 8T gear the 20T gear would spin in the opposite direction making both 2nd and 4th ( or 1st and 3rd, haven't really looked at the ratios yet) reverse gears.

As for the springs, thanks for pointing it out. I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, so I didn't notice springs buckling under pressure but it makes sense. I'll try to fix it, but the thing is it's really tight around the rear axle, especially because of the chassis structure that comes on top of it.

I have a (very) strong feeling, that i want to build the final product. The whole WIP is very promising and it looks as some new ideas have been implemented. Could be a pleasure to rebuild it. Therefore: do you have plans for instructions? And if yes: fully stepped PDF or CAD file?

Last but not least: thank you for sharing this MOC!

Thanks Kumbbl, as of yet I have no plans for instructions. But if I recall correctly, Nalyd997 has kindly offered to build an LDD model for this once it's done ( not sure). Let's wait and see what happens, who knows the bodywork might turn out abysmal :laugh:

The shock absorber should be okay if its chassis end is secured properly (from both sides of the hole and the mounting point is quite rigid) and if you insert a longer axle that goes through both lower suspension liftarms.

I like it. But the new chassis doesn't look very strong.

Edited by Meatman

Thanks Kumbbl, as of yet I have no plans for instructions. But if I recall correctly, Nalyd997 has kindly offered to build an LDD model for this once it's done ( not sure). Let's wait and see what happens, who knows the bodywork might turn out abysmal :laugh:

This may require professional instructions, I might give LDraw another go! If not there are countless others who could;)

This may require professional instructions, I might give LDraw another go! If not there are countless others who could;)

I can help with the LDraw file if needed :classic: I don't know if I have time for full instructions though.

I can help with the LDraw file if needed :classic: I don't know if I have time for full instructions though.

Thanks guys, but, lets not get ahead of ourselves and wait till (hopefully) finish the chassis at least :laugh:

The shock absorber should be okay if its chassis end is secured properly (from both sides of the hole and the mounting point is quite rigid) and if you insert a longer axle that goes through both lower suspension liftarms.

Gotcha :thumbup: thx

Moving left and then right again will not change the direction of the gears...

Don't think of it in terms of going left or right, think of it in terms of the number of gears involved. If I go left immediately, there will be only 2 gears meshed which means the output ( connected to the tan 20T gear) would spin in the direction opposite to the input ( black 12T gear).

In the system I've used here, since the 16T gear and the 8T gear are connected to the same axle they both spin in the same direction. So essentially it behaves like a system of 3 meshed gears, making the output spin in the same direction as the input.

I'm sorry if that wasn't clear enough, I'm not very good at explaining things :tongue:

Progress pic..

18372178373_04bc5993f1_o.jpg458 Speciale WIP by Shu, on Flickr

Experimental front end... still not sold on it but I think it's a good base to work on...

btw that sculpted hood is proving to be a real pain to work with.

Edited by sm1995

:wub::thumbup:

Fantastic front bumper. Spot on. If I could build mocs of this quality: I would be so chuffed :)

Thanks to both of you

:blush:

and Leocorno you need to have more faith in yourself. I think from an engineering standpoint you did a great job on the Huracan, especially considering your limited collection of pieces. Also styling-wise it was a marked improvement over the P1. Keep going, I'd really like to see more MOCs from you :wink:

First: I think what we can see so far looks great.

However, I`m not completely sold on all the blue parts jumping out on the front end (and I expect more in the other parts of the bodywork). Maybe (if you don`t limit yourself to currently available parts) you could try to replace these with the not as visible light bluish gray variants of these parts in those locations where they aren`t necessery as the strong variant.

Progress pic..

458 Speciale WIP by Shu, on Flickr

Experimental front end... still not sold on it but I think it's a good base to work on...

btw that sculpted hood is proving to be a real pain to work with.

Looks great :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Rishab N

First: I think what we can see so far looks great.

However, I`m not completely sold on all the blue parts jumping out on the front end (and I expect more in the other parts of the bodywork). Maybe (if you don`t limit yourself to currently available parts) you could try to replace these with the not as visible light bluish gray variants of these parts in those locations where they aren`t necessery as the strong variant.

Such a small change that will likely make a big difference. Thanks !

Looks great :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

looks great althoug the lights are a bit weird

Thanks fellas and I agree the lights were weird but I changed them. Don't forget the WIP tag :tongue:

Great build so far. Just read through the whole WIP and a couple of things hit me;

1- You had the guts to tear it down and start over when you weren't happy (and do it publicly)

2- You are pursuing a realistic chassis, probably at the expense of extra grief.

I don't see you taking the easy way out anywhere! Looking forward to seeing the rest as it develops.