Looks very VERY promising!

great progress and replication...topic followed :)

Thanks guys :classic:

Looks excellent. I'm loving this MOC

Looks great so far! I love that rear part of the chassis

Thanks! :blush:

Looking goooood :thumbup: Any hint for the insparation? :tongue:

Oh it's inspired by this awful, terrible Mclaren made by some random kid.... I don't know if you've heard of him though :tongue:

Btw, I already gave you a shout out on the previous page haha, but for reals, I looove your MP4-12C :wub: If I'm able to make my MOC at least 25% as good as yours I'll be happy.

Updates regarding the actual project, put two orders in on bricklink today ( mainly for the front suspension and some general white panels). I have 0 white pieces as of right now so I'm going to try and recreate the doors using yellow to figure out the pieces I need to order.

Edited by sm1995

Hello everyone!

The chassis is mostly finished now, all that's left to do is the intake manifold. Since Ferrari haven't released a picture of the rolling chassis I had to go through dozens of pictures and videos to find out what the chassis and engine assembly looks like. The air filter box took me a while to design because I wanted the mounting point hidden from view. Plus I am TERRIBLE at studful design. :laugh:

While I'm on the topic of air intakes, the position of the air ducts behind the cabin and also by the front axle will most likely change once the bodywork comes on. And I opted not to do a detailed exhaust system because there's no space at the back :sceptic:

The front suspension is fairly realistic with unequal length wishbones ( for kingpin inclination) and positive caster ( half stud offset).

Here's the flickr album - https://www.flickr.c...2157@N03/0LDgVy

I'll also embed a few pictures for your convenience :)

18048110248_72e45dcb76_c.jpg

18048110358_3ba053cdae_c.jpg

Also started working on the bodywork. I had a few ideas this morning so I quickly put together this contraption. I kinda like how it turned out so I'm thinking of making this my starting point. What do you guys think? This is the first time I'm doing bodywork for a car so I'd appreciate some constructive feedback.

18048214070_aab8fab465_z.jpg

Edited by sm1995

That chassis is gorgeous. This is looking to be a pretty good MOC. Keep going!

That chassis is gorgeous. This is looking to be a pretty good MOC. Keep going!

That looks awesome so far!

Btw I just realized how ugly the dashboard is, I'm going to change it ASAP :laugh:

Nice! It looks very promising, keep up the good work :thumbup: I just like these Ferraris, best cars in the world! Just can't wait to see yours finished, it's gonna be cool for sure :classic:

The chassis does look gorgeous, I am looking forward to the final product. I would also love to see some more detailed/close up pictures of the steering and chassis components!

tim

Chassis is looking very good. I like how you used suspension arms with the u joints in the back

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I wanted to thank every one of you individually but 7 quotes in one post is too many ahaha.

The chassis does look gorgeous, I am looking forward to the final product. I would also love to see some more detailed/close up pictures of the steering and chassis components!

tim

Thanks tim, and I will but the chassis is not finalized yet. Once everything is done I'll quietly post a few close ups on my flickr ( without bumping this thread again), so if you could follow me that'd be great. Also spurred on by your request for detailed photos I decided to turn the front axle into a module that can be easily detached by pulling a few pins. So thank you for that :laugh:

Well, I wasn't planning on updating this thread until some of the bodywork has been finished, but I've decided to start over from scratch so I thought I'd post a few pictures.

So....everything has been completely redesigned. The gearbox, which was 9 studs long measured from the rear axle is now only 6 studs long. It might seem like a small change, but shaving those 3 studs off was really challenging ( for me at least). There's a few issues with friction due to the added complexity, but other than that it works flawlessly.

Oh and I've also decided to make the whole thing modular :tongue: so sorry for stealing your ideas Dikkie Klijn, but I will give you credit for inspiration once everything is done. I hope you don't mind.

timslego I posted closeups of the front axle for you. :wub:

Thanks for reading!

18461995412_e3cb70a9a5_o.jpg

18278559530_00439ce13b_o.jpg

As you can see, the gearbox barely extends past the rear wheels.

18278470848_32dd84bd04_o.jpg

Edited by sm1995

Perfecting perfection... That is a slippery slope you are on

A close up of the gearbox would be nice :wink:

How stiff is the structure between the mid section and the rear wheels?

And that is a really low placed motor *huh*

Perfecting perfection... That is a slippery slope you are on

A close up of the gearbox would be nice :wink:

How stiff is the structure between the mid section and the rear wheels?

Haha thanks but it was and still is far from perfection, but I get what you mean and I can't help it. :tongue:

The structure is somewhat strong, but it's not strong enough. It will get braces for strengthening, I'm still thinking of how I can replicate the ones in the actual car while also actually strengthening the chassis.

And that is a really low placed motor *huh*

Hmm... why is Engine block so low?

Yes, the motor is placed low for 3 reasons.

1. The design of the gearbox kinda dictates the motor to be placed at this height.

2. Even If I did find a workaround, looking at underside pics it looks like the 458 has a low placed motor.

3. The intake manifold has 4 straight, vertical inlect tracts that lead to the 2 plenums - so I have to mount the engine rather low for the the plenums to be around the top point of the wheels. I've designed the intake manifold in LDD and the whole thing is about 4 studs tall. So it should work out.

Also, Here are some closeups of the gearbox Jeroen :blush:

17848431193_ff2b42696c_o.jpg

17848431353_461c1d3763_o.jpg

Edited by sm1995

You have some inspiring ideas there..! I have a feeling the the engine placement will change again though as it appears to maybe be a few studs too low..