Hi everyone,

For my second big project I have decided to build a Ferrari 458 Speciale in yellow. This will be my first technic supercar so if I were you I wouldn't have my expectations too high :laugh: , but I will try my best to make it worthwhile of being posted here on Eurorbricks.

Here's a picture of the actual car for anyone not familiar with supercars.

2013-ferrari-458-speciale-43_600x0w.jpg

First things first, this is going to be a LONG build thread. I don't even have 2/3rds of the pieces required to build something like this, but I started the WIP thread early on because then I have the motivation to actually finish the project. Technically it's going to be a piece of cake really, just your standard 4 speed gearbox and HOG steering. So far I have begun building the spaceframe+gear selector. The proportions of the chassis won't be exact because the Lego V8 is huge! sorry

f5c0cf22a11fa3ddbeb64d473c506fc5.jpg

dsc_0867.jpg

Edited by sm1995

We have different ways to build, I build first rear and front axle, then the gearbox and fake engine and finally I build a chassis for everything (not close to reality), good luck with your MOC.

We have different ways to build, I build first rear and front axle, then the gearbox and fake engine and finally I build a chassis for everything (not close to reality), good luck with your MOC.

Thanks! and yeah, building the axles first seems like the logical first step, but since I want the chassis to resemble the actual spaceframe of the 458, I thought I'd build it first. Next would be the rear axle and then the gearbox right behind it.

Nice! After I finish the instructions for your crane truck I might look into making some for this!

Edited by Nalyd997

I'm making a supercar too with the same setup (gearbox behind the rear axle). I'm very curious how you will build the gearbox, my model will be maybe twice as big as yours, still the gearbox sticks too far out of the rear.

The chassis looks very pretty so far, it would be an awesome model even without a gearbox.

For the fake engine, you could use this idea too:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109214

Edited by Lipko

Nice! After I finish the instructions for your crane truck I might look into making some for this!

That's awesome man! Thank you.

Looks like a good start :classic:

I'm making a supercar too with the same setup (gearbox behind the rear axle). I'm very curious how you will build the gearbox, my model will be maybe twice as big as yours, still the gearbox sticks too far out of the rear.

The chassis looks very pretty so far, it would be an awesome model even without a gearbox.

For the fake engine, you could use this idea too:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109214

Thank you very much! and yeah that's going to be a problem. The actual car has the engine mated to the gearbox and it sits right above the rear axle, but that's just not possible here. My first instinct is to kinda "split" the gearbox and have some of the gears in front of the axle, but idk if that will work. A vertical gearbox is also an option but then linkages get rather messy.

If you don't mind, I'd really like to see what you have so far for the gearbox+ rear axle setup. Very excited to see a new supercar from a experienced builder like you :)

Also as for the engine, it's a very cool idea, but I want the engine to have some detail and that's not going to be possible without the standard Lego engine.

Edited by sm1995

Looks good so far: Keep it up :)

Thanks Leocorno! I'm a big fan of your supercars as well, I love how you take into account power:weight ratio and care about actual performance :)

Small update. Here's a failed version of the gearbox+rearaxle+engine module. It measures 9 studs long from the axle to the end of the gearbox, and that's 2 studs too long. Also the shifting pattern is all wrong. With a bit of tinkering I believe I could solve these problems.

dsc_0866.jpg

Thank you: And I'm surprised that with your build quality, you would even admire any of my mocs. Because I should be looking up to you! Anyways, trial and error is the way to go: It takes me ages to come up with a suitable drivetrain. Also will you be building the same style rear suspension as the real speciale? Or a custom one with your own twist :) I still deeply admire how you got the chassis specs spot on: I couldn't tell much of a difference other than one is technic. Good luck with the rest of the car: I'm sure it will run smoothly ;)

Thank you: And I'm surprised that with your build quality, you would even admire any of my mocs. Because I should be looking up to you! Anyways, trial and error is the way to go: It takes me ages to come up with a suitable drivetrain. Also will you be building the same style rear suspension as the real speciale? Or a custom one with your own twist :) I still deeply admire how you got the chassis specs spot on: I couldn't tell much of a difference other than one is technic. Good luck with the rest of the car: I'm sure it will run smoothly ;)

You are too kind :blush: and thank you. As for the rear suspension, it depends on how tight the space is around the rear axle. If I have enough space I'll try to recreate the multilink setup of the 458, if not I'll probably just go for the standard lego rear axle.

Very cool! I have just a chassis that I built, just to experiment. its my first ever Technic MOC! it will be on my Flickr in a little bit.

Very cool! I have just a chassis that I built, just to experiment. its my first ever Technic MOC! it will be on my Flickr in a little bit.

Great start and looking very promissing :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you very much VFracingteam :classic:

Updates : Gearbox and drivetrain is done. This is the 4th or 5th iteration of the gearbox ( all I did for the past two days was building :grin: ) it measures 8 studs long from the rear axle and has correct the gear ratios (3:5,1:1,3:2,5:3) and the correct shifting pattern. The linkages are like 90% reliable ( sometimes the driving ring doesn't go all the way into the clutch gear, it requires some force) but since this is a manual model I figured it's not a big deal.

I stripped down the chassis because I stumbled upon a video that gave me a clear view of the rear end of the chassis, and there were a few things I got wrong initially. Trying to fix that right now.

Thanks for reading! :blush:

dsc_0869.jpg

dsc_0872.jpg

Edited by sm1995

Looks good. Reminds me a bit of Dikkie Klijn's Mclaren

Haha, his mclaren was actually what inspired me to do this build. The attention to detail in his build is mind-blowing, amazing stuff. I saw how he integrated the gearbox with the rear axle, and that was the starting point for this gearbox. However, his is a 3+R while this is a 4 speed so I don't know how much the internals resemble each other. Plus I see he used a lot of half liftarms in his build, which personally I'm not a big fan of ( not trying to take way from his amazing creation, one of my favorite MOCs of all time).

Edited by sm1995

Haha, his mclaren was actually what inspired me to do this build. The attention to detail in his build is mind-blowing, amazing stuff. I saw how he integrated the gearbox with the rear axle, and that was the starting point for this gearbox. However, his is a 3+R while this is a 4 speed so I don't know how much the internals resemble each other. Plus I see he used a lot of half liftarms in his build, which personally I'm not a big fan of ( not trying to take way from his amazing creation, one of my favorite MOCs of all time).

The internals aren't very similar, just the layout of it reminded me of his car. You're making good progress though keep it up :classic:

The internals aren't very similar, just the layout of it reminded me of his car. You're making good progress though keep it up :classic:

Ah, I gotchu. Thanks btw :)

I'm loving the tidiness of your design, keep up the great work!

Thanks :blush: btw I really, really love your latest MOC and I was going to comment on it but I think I got sidetracked. :laugh: so it means a lot coming from you.

Also, after spending some time on bricklink yesterday I realized that making this car in yellow would be crazy expensive. So now the choice is between red and white. I'm more partial to white because almost every single technic supercar is red, but what do you guys think?

Edited by sm1995

Looks good. Reminds me a bit of Dikkie Klijn's Mclaren

I was thinking exactly the same. :laugh:

The part about the McLaren as well as the part about looking good :wink:

Very cool. I just spend 15 minutes figuring out the linkage system...

I hope the rest of the model will show the same ingenuity as you have shown so far

This looks really good so far. Hopefully the inclusion of the gearbox doesn't make the rear end of your model unproportionately too long compared to the real thing.

I was thinking exactly the same. :laugh:

The part about the McLaren as well as the part about looking good :wink:

Haha thanks! :grin:

Very cool. I just spend 15 minutes figuring out the linkage system...

I hope the rest of the model will show the same ingenuity as you have shown so far

Thanks Jeroen! :blush: really appreciate the compliment, and I hope I can live up to it.

This looks really good so far. Hopefully the inclusion of the gearbox doesn't make the rear end of your model unproportionately too long compared to the real thing.

Thanks man, and yeah, I'm a bit worried about that too. I made the gearbox as compact as possible though, I really see no other way of making it shorter other than by using a lot of half liftarms. Hopefully it turns out okay :sceptic:

The rear half of the chassis is done! all that's left is to find a way to route the pneumatic tubes for the exhaust pipes and the radiators. Also redid most of the chassis using LBG to better represent the aluminum goodness of the real thing. Constructive criticism is always welcome, let me know what you guys think.

17312671874_0fcd377226_z.jpg

Edited by sm1995