Dear moderators, please rename this topic to [MOC] Trophy Truck "Double Trouble"

Hi everybody!

Video is available, enjoy and comment!

xS4g5XTTXco.jpg

Here comes double trouble. Twin powered double trouble :devil: True liftarm energy!

9XKsggHEJz8.jpg

640x427.jpg

This is my new Moc. And it is ready: I am working on photo/video.

UPDATE

Here is some photos and info while you wait for video.

640x426.jpg

Specs:

• Soft long travel suspension.
  • Front independent with postive caster
  • Rear live axle with built in Buggy motors.
  • Rear wheel drive
  • Self made stickers
  • Tires RC4WD Dirt Grabber 1.55 (74 мм) - thats a copy of real BF Goodrich AT tires
  • Spare tire RC4WD Mickey Tompson Baja MTZ 1.55 (83 мм)
  • Weight is 1100 gr

Electrics:

• Steering SERVO,
  • Flying Propulsion 2x Buggy motors
  • Fueled by 2xLiPo
  • 3xLED lights
  • Controlling thru 2xSBrick

640x426.jpg

640x427.jpg

Internal space is filled with electronics. Unfortunately there is no free space for cockpit.

640x427.jpg

Love this suspension, its articulation is great for me. I am happy seeing how it works)

640x427.jpg

Suspension travel is about 4L. I will drop down and show it on video later.

640x426.jpg

640x427.jpg

You know, LEGO suspension is always jerky, so you cant make big mocs drive straight, especially when it is fast and big.

Positive caster helps to return wheels in center postition and fights with steering system backlash. It also makes shock absorbers work smoother and softer, IMHO.

640x427.jpg

I dont like demonic "Monster" theme that is everywhere now...but this is good)

640x427.jpg

Very good and realistic tires. Sad that there is no similar proportions tires in LEGO assortment. These are 75 mm with wide almost equal to medium 43 mm racing wheel.

640x427.jpg

Spare tire is another type, cause I dont have 5-th Dirt Grabber. These 83 mm tire also fit in the arches, but they are bigger and harder for LiPos to rotate without stress...

640x427.jpg

Model is driving fast enough for its weight and even drift donuts indoor, but outdoor shows the the weakest part - LiPo. I should try to lock differential thermistor for insane driving.

After "baja" outdoor drive I replaced all damaged wheel axles and going to film its indoor's donuts and at asphalt outdoor to reach maximum speed. I hope it can reach at least 10 km/h.

640x427.jpg

So "why double trouble"? - it is hard to fuel buggy motors. And here we have double of them.

Here is full photo album

http://www.bricksafe...rm8/BajaTruckDT

3D printed tyres? lego one can't sustain The torque? xD

Yes, those tires look interesting... Do you have a link? They look 3rd party...

1.55 dirt grabbers from rc4wd. I have used them on my baja boss.

Btw baja, is double trouble a baja truck?

If whe know all the answer yet, then whe sure are in double trouble guys :laugh:

Looks very promissing rm8 :thumbup:

Thanks for attention.

Truck "Double trouble"

This truck was a real trouble for me from the start. I planned it as a fast single motor powered truck with suspension and 56 mm tires (as PiterX did). But I placed motor not vertically, but horizontally. Additional angle bevel gear = less performance. Truck was fast with soft suspension, but I was disappointed with 1-motor performance, no drift = no fun...

HJbErVzM2lM.jpg

Next step was increasing number of motors to 2 pcs with almost the same scale size. I have enough space to put a second LiPo in the cockpit. But then I decided to make wheels larger - 62 mm. After model was enhanced, I surprisingly found that it grow up and asks for larger tires than 62 mm and positive caster..

800x533.jpg

Gone filming....

Edited by rm8

I love those third party tires. The truck also looks very good and is a huge improvement from the first design

Can't wait to see it running! I've been working on something similar but I'm afraid it grew too heavy to drift or jump and it seems impossible to drive straight, even with SBrick. Yours is looking so good and promising, I'm not feeling like filming mine as much as before. Anyway, I'll try put my sh*t together, some day. Meanwhile I really can't wait to see your truck in action :blush:

Hi,

Yesterday I have filmed sandy outdoor. I did some nice looking footages with Gopro onboard. Sadly, I destroyed all driving axles (sand dust+ fast rotating). I am glad that I did not used wheel hubs - too expensive to destroy in 15 minutes:)

I can't reach max speed on sand. So today I ll try to film if on flat and clean surface.

Edited by rm8

Dear moderators, please rename this topic to [MOC] "Double Trouble" Trophy Truck

Here is some photos and info while you wait for video.

640x426.jpg

Specs:

Soft long travel suspension.

Front independent with postive caster

Rear live axle with built in Buggy motors.

Rear wheel drive

Self made stickers

Tires RC4WD Dirt Grabber 1.55 (74 мм) - thats a copy of real BF Goodrich AT tires

Spare tire RC4WD Mickey Tompson Baja MTZ 1.55 (83 мм)

Weight is 1100 gr

Electrics:

Steering SERVO,

Flying Propulsion 2x Buggy motors

Fueled by 2xLiPo

3xLED lights

Controlling thru 2xSBrick blocks

watch update in the head of this post!

Edited by rm8

This is just awesome! Another great baja truck from you!! I especially like that filter on the last two photos

Now that looks awesome! Each buggy motor has it own LiPo battery pack and Sbrick. Do you need two smart phones to work this or just the one.

Now that looks awesome! Each buggy motor has it own LiPo battery pack and Sbrick. Do you need two smart phones to work this or just the one.

Thank you.

No, only one phone, and only one button/slider for that. You just need to link ports of SBrick's that are connected to Buggy motors to one control button/slider. You can easily connect one button to all ports of one/many SBrick devices. Thats easy!

Edited by rm8

awesome MOC rm8!! but why you want to modify legoBB if you can power the sbrick with normal RC lipo batteries? :3 waiting for the video!

-EDIT maybe using only one Sbrick and no light you can gain some ma/h more...

Edited by PKW

awesome MOC rm8!! but why you want to modify legoBB if you can power the sbrick with normal RC lipo batteries? :3 waiting for the video!

-EDIT maybe using only one Sbrick and no light you can gain some ma/h more...

Thank you.

I can say more, 2 of 4 my LEGO LiPos have too early protection enabling. I even marked them to not to use them in powerful MOCS. May be there is a difference in thermal resistors characteristics or they are damaged by extensive use or charging with 12V 3rd party transformer (usually I do it with 9V, but I did it with 12 V sometimes). One AFOLS told me he tested modified LEGO LIPO with different load configurations including 2 Buggy and 6 XL motors - everything works fine.

I don't want to use Rc lipos, cause I don't have Rc and don't want to buy Lipo+ charger now.

LEDs have too small consumption.even 10

LEDs don't eat too tiny amount of power comparing to loaded M motor.

Edited by rm8

Thank you.

I can say more, 2 of 4 my LEGO LiPos have too early protection enabling. I even marked them to not to use them in powerful MOCS. May be there is a difference in thermal resistors characteristics or they are damaged by extensive use or charging with 12V 3rd party transformer (usually I do it with 9V, but I did it with 12 V sometimes). One AFOLS told me he tested modified LEGO LIPO with different load configurations including 2 Buggy and 6 XL motors - everytnong works fine.

I don't want to use Rc lipos, cause I don't have Rc and don't want to buy Lipo+ charger now.

LEDs have too small consumption.even 10

LEDs don't eat too tiny amount of power comparing to loaded M motor.

yes, lipos are expensive, And I also noticed that My lipo BB has The same problem of yours, i think lego should find a more stable Way To protect their electronics

about The led:') some years ago I made some tank wars (to win You have To destroy all opponent's track fighting on a carpet with some obstacles put under it) and after every match I don't Power off The batteries, every time My friend says "you think that it is ONLY a small led(the one of The BB) But it is A small led" (some times i lost The battle because o discharged batteries) so when You has a 750mah protection if You lost 50-70 mah with one sbrick and the leds it is more or less The 10%, it is not a really small amount of Power

Edited by PKW

Holy cow I really can't wait! I've been working on a very similar project for the last ~9 weeks, and your specs tell me this is gonna be... what I wanted to do, damn well done.