Hey everyone! Here is my new GBC module, designed to operate similar to a ski lift.

It uses a single L motor to operate the chain movement. The balls are loaded automatically into the chairs as they rotate around. The hopper can currently only hold five balls, but can be configured to hold more.

Here is the video, the building instructions and a link to some additional pictures:

Building Instructions: http://www.mediafire...bc_ski_lift.lxf

Additional pictures: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=555913

Enjoy!

Edited by nxtstep101

Cool module, neat idea. Don't think I'll need the instructions.

Make some path/slider down, and no need to manually bring back balls.

Well done! Looks like it's running reliably. I like the uniqueness and simplicity.

If you're planning on making a GBC conformant in basket, it's not just a matter of making it bigger. You will also need a mechanism to line up the balls, because that will not happen automatically.

That's a lovely pick-up motion, and nice execution overall. I might have to steal that one! :-)

It is not far of the way you realised that lift infront of the unimog for the BV!

Anyway looks really sweet!

You will also need a mechanism to line up the balls, because that will not happen automatically.

No need for mechanics. Just put a high school dropout in charge of the lining up, and you will have a perfect replica of the real thing...

Thanks everyone! :)

Make some path/slider down, and no need to manually bring back balls.

I would, however, this is going to be incorporated into a loop with other GBC modules. I manually added the balls to demonstrate how the module works.

Well done! Looks like it's running reliably. I like the uniqueness and simplicity.

If you're planning on making a GBC conformant in basket, it's not just a matter of making it bigger. You will also need a mechanism to line up the balls, because that will not happen automatically.

Yep your right. However, I'm not really planning on bringing it to any conventions, since there isn't any near where I live. So I'm not really concerned as much with conforming it to all the GBC standards.

Really nice, how many links did it take to get that lenght

100, including the black tread links.

This is pretty sweet. I'm not sure how long the chain will last if you display it at a show. I'm not a fan of the small chain links, but the big ones would change the scale of this unit too much.

This is pretty sweet. I'm not sure how long the chain will last if you display it at a show. I'm not a fan of the small chain links, but the big ones would change the scale of this unit too much.

It would probably need to be changed after a couple hours of constant use. I did actually consider using the larger ones, however, like you said, they changed the scale too much.

Well done! Nice idea and it seems to work great. I like the fact you can always expand the system simply by adding chains.

It would probably need to be changed after a couple hours of constant use. I did actually consider using the larger ones, however, like you said, they changed the scale too much.

The pickup/dropoff mechanism is the real star of this module. I am pretty sure it could be used on something like a tilted carousel to make the whole module more robust.

Any issues with balls being dropped or jamming?

The pickup/dropoff mechanism is the real star of this module. I am pretty sure it could be used on something like a tilted carousel to make the whole module more robust.

Any issues with balls being dropped or jamming?

Nope. I did have to fine-tune the mechanism to work so well, since the first version would drop a ball here and there.

After a long delay, I finally found the time to finish up the building instructions for this project. The LDD is available for download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/il6ng7mzn543q9j/gbc_ski_lift.lxf

Just so you know, there are a couple parts that don't appear to fit correctly in LDD, however they do in fact fit correctly in real life. Also, the L motor apparently hasn't been added to LDD, so I wasn't able to include that either. Other than that, everything should be pretty self explanatory. Let me know if you run into any issues. Enjoy!

Where the 'chair' connects to the chain link, that is just held on by friction, not locked in? How strong does that connection seem to be?

Where the 'chair' connects to the chain link, that is just held on by friction, not locked in? How strong does that connection seem to be?

it's usually a tight fit to push something over those tread links.. look carefully, and you'll see the tread is slightly bend, when in the hole...

with an application like this, it's not going to fall out any time soon...

As RohanBeckett said, the tread link fit snugly in the hole, it would take quite a bit of more weight to cause them to slip out.

it's usually a tight fit to push something over those tread links.. look carefully, and you'll see the tread is slightly bend, when in the hole...

with an application like this, it's not going to fall out any time soon...

As RohanBeckett said, the tread link fit snugly in the hole, it would take quite a bit of more weight to cause them to slip out.

Very nice technique! :thumbup:

I just got around to testing this out this evening, and as you said, the slight bend in the tread really holds it on there. Lots of interesting opportunities with this type of connection.