Sign in to follow this  
Missing Brick

Shame Yahoo had to break Flickr on iPad2

So, having worked perfectly for years, it seems Yahoo decided it would be a good idea to break flickr a couple of weeks ago - so it doesn't work anymore on anything but the very latest browsers. I'm running Safari iOS5.1 on an iPad2 and now I get an 'unsupported browser' message when I go into the photo preview page - so I can't comment anymore.

Kind of annoying since I've never encountered any other page anywhere else on the internet that doesn't work with Safari 5.1. 'Why not upgrade to iOS7 or iOS8?' I hear you ask. Because they run like treacle on iPad2 with more lagging than my loft. I also hate the 'every-app-looks-the-same-flat-white' style that Johnny Ive imposed after Steve Jobs died - and the confusing way the wifi networks jump around when you click them. Anyway, guess I'll have to get used to using flickr on my tiny Android phone screen. /rant

At least you can upgrade your iOS, my original iPad no longer has support. But it still works for Solitaire. :laugh:

It doesn't work on anything right now!

Yup - they seem to be working thru the pages, breaking them as they go. Initially I only had a problem with the individual photo viewing page - now they've moved onto the main timeline page - I get a 'cannot verify server identity' error. The only change seems to be the photo-info boxes are now grey-on-white instead of white-on-black - hardly worth breaking the whole site for.

The only unmolested pages that still work are photostream and groups. I expect they'll let their work-experience junior programmers ruin them in the next few days. As long as it looks OK on the latest smartphone. Nevermind about testing on anything more than 2 years old.

I'm not able to share fotos using Opera anymore since a few days :(

I'm not able to share fotos using Opera anymore since a few days :(

I put photos up on Flickr, Brickshelf, and Photobucket. A "money shot" goes on Flickr and the rest goes on Brickshelf. That way, if one site is down or showing the "Bad Panda", readers of my MOC threads can see at least something from the host that is still up.

I use Photobucket for quick snapshots. So far Photobucket is the only one that hasn't gone down or caused other problems with sharing for me.

Interesting - I've never used Brickshelf or Photobucket because I always found their websites rather slow to load compared to flickr. Also PBucket lacks the community of lego followers and commenters which is so great on flickr.

As for Opera, I tried it but often had issues with compatibility with services like Hotmail. But up until now iPad safari has always run everything without a problem. I normally browse flickr everyday on my iPad, but break out the PC when I want to upload something (Firefox + NoScript + AdBlock+). Here's hoping they haven't broken the firefox support, but older iPad support is now well and truely broken.

So, having worked perfectly for years, it seems Yahoo decided it would be a good idea to break flickr a couple of weeks ago - so it doesn't work anymore on anything but the very latest browsers. I'm running Safari iOS5.1 on an iPad2 and now I get an 'unsupported browser' message when I go into the photo preview page - so I can't comment anymore.

Kind of annoying since I've never encountered any other page anywhere else on the internet that doesn't work with Safari 5.1. 'Why not upgrade to iOS7 or iOS8?' I hear you ask. Because they run like treacle on iPad2 with more lagging than my loft. I also hate the 'every-app-looks-the-same-flat-white' style that Johnny Ive imposed after Steve Jobs died - and the confusing way the wifi networks jump around when you click them. Anyway, guess I'll have to get used to using flickr on my tiny Android phone screen. /rant

This may be a "dumb" question, but can't you use the dedicated Flickr app instead of going through a browser?

Yes - the flickr app still works OK - but on the older iOS you're limited to the iPhone version of the app - which has low res and reduced features. But at least I can still comment using that.

The Flickr App still works fine on my Android Phone. I find with each update Flickr has become less user friendly. Its irritating that the default screen is for Camera roll now instead of Photostream. Oh well. We've survived worse updates like when they removed notes.

Just a quick update in case anyone else is having this problem:

You can get the old iPad2-compatible flickr back by using https://secure.flickr.com/

Works great !! Thanks to Hacim Bricks for the tip.

[update: That didn't last long - Looks like Yahoo have now broken the secure site too. Shame.]

Edited by Missing Brick

The real question is why the Flickr app still doesn't have messaging?

I mean it's 2015 right?

I suppose the future isn't here yet... (BTTF)