Sign in to follow this  
lamascherariposta

MOC: my Eldorado Fortress!

Hi to everyone!

When I was a child, I was a huge fan of the first wave of Lego Pirates. Unfortunately, I was never able to get the two biggest sets: the Black Sea Barracuda and the Eldorado Fortress. Now that I'm an AFOL I bought the whole last Pirate wave, but I'm not really satisfied with the new soldier fortifications: the memory of the glorious Eldorado Fortress is too strong! :-)

So I decided to take the soldier's sets apart and to use the pieces (together with bricks taken from the rest of my collection, of course) to build a fortress inspired by the old one. Here you can see the final results.

I chose not to recover the old color scheme (white and yellow), but to go with the new one: white and dark red. I don't have the original raised baseplate, but instead of bricklinking one, as I first thought, I decided to brick build it. This way I was also able to create behind the fort a small grotto for the alligator :-)

As for the rest, I stayed pretty close to the original model, I think: there is a tower with the crane, one above the prison and the biggest one with a small chamber for the governor.

I'm pretty satisfied with the result, but always eager to hear some comments from the experts here. What do you think?

You can see the whole gallery here.

Thank you!

17523651072_6e22df4fc6_c.jpg

16905537873_8819f19da0_c.jpg

17338081618_b68918c257_c.jpg

Edit: I've just noticed that there is a specific sub-forum for Pirates MOC... if an administrator wants to move the topic there, it's ok for me :-)

Edited by lamascherariposta

Looks great!

The only thing that I am not a friend of are these doors with visible hinges on the outside, but thats just personal taste!

Like you, I always wanted the Eldorado Fortress as a kid, but didn't actually get it until I was almost 30. This is an excellent reproduction, I would go so far as to say that it is BETTER than the original. Well done!

This is an excellent remake of a classic. It's instantly recognizable and the colors look very good; I wouldn't have thought the red would look that well but it sure does. The lower of the two turntable-mounted cannons looks superb in its circular enclosure. I would have preferred a tiled dock but the overall build is too good to complain. The Eldorado Fortress was my favorite of the classic land-based sets and this is another fantastic remake. Keep it up!

This is astonishingly beautiful. Great work if you don't mind I am copying these photos so I can get inspiration to make my own for the blue coat army!!!!! I love this a lot and I will be happy to see if you make any pirate themed fortresses again form the original wave into modern lego!!!! Great job with this it looks like t took a lot of time to get this constructed!!!!!!

Great Moc -of course there's nothing better than the original white/yellow colour, but you've put the new "official" white/vinered combination to some good use here. Building techniques are really great. Very good job!

Edited by Fletcher Floyd

Love it! I too have a fond place in my heart for the ol' white and yellow, but this is really great. I also bought up the whole new Pirates wave, but the new ship is definitely lacking compared to the BSB (feels like it lacks contrast, and is a little too sparse overall with the design of the midships). While I like the smaller fortification sets pretty well, a nice big soldiers fort is conspicuously missing and this fits the bill! pirate_laugh2.gif

I was lucky enough to get the Eldorado Fortress and BSB when I was a kid.... but there are a lot of things on your moc that I actually like better than the official Eldorado Fortress! Great job on the details!

Thats a great looking update of a classic!

However like another member pointed out... Im also not a big fan of the door hinges being visible. I usually put the doors in the opposite way as to avoid outside hinges.

A very good version of the classic Eldorado Fortress!

Interesting to see that it works out so well without the original base plate (I actually did not notice at first glance).

How did you create the way from the pier to the gate?

:thumbup:

Wow, thank you very much for your support and appreciation!

I'm not really that interested in MOCcing, I mainly buy LEGO to build and display the official sets. So I'm more than happy if someone likes my humble efforts when I try to create something myself :-)

How did you create the way from the pier to the gate?

Those are very simple slopes, 4x2 and 3x2 (Bricklink number: 30363 and 30474).

Great work! I like how you combined the old base plate with the new Pirates elements :classic:

GREAT MOC!!! Is even better thanthe original EF pirate_wubnew.gif

I wish TLC would release things like that MOC instead the actual pirate sets

Eldorado Fortress was a great set. And it still is.

It is alwasy a pleasure to see when someone updates a classic set. pirate_blush.gif

I like this MOD/MOC, especially how you made your own version of the baseplate. In true Lego spirit you solved

a problem with other bricks and came up with something customized to your likings :)

Big thumbs up from me!

That is a very impressive build. Were it not for the fact I can barely move after a long weekend of house painting, I'd be digging into my bricks right now having been inspired to do something in the same vein.