Sign in to follow this  
Deathleech

Best Place to Live When it Comes to Buying Lego?

Around what time of the year is the Bilka offer, out of curiosity?

Normally it is August. If I do remember it right, it differs in which week the offer is.

That's actually quite a load of B.S..

There are also different costs of business in different countries (that is, having a presence in the country, individual country regulations, advertising in specific languages, etc). If those costs are spread out over more people (as in the US) then costs will be lower.

That's why I pointed out the tax thing, Lego does not cost more in the UK because we subsidize anyone, it is mostly tax and other costs.

You can argue about average salaries and compare the economies but really, for people like me this is 100% a more expensive Lego country lol. I moved so I could get ripped off on my Lego buys :P. I also pay higher taxes so it just costs me more to live here.

Then if you live in a big city like LONDON which is the most expensive place on Earth you won't have enough room for your Lego collection unless you pay an obscene amount of money for a place. Everything here is squished and smalI.

I live in London (sort of). While it's true that property prices are mad, there are other places where they're also extremely high and therefore space very limited such as Manhattan, NY. I know of an AFOL in Monaco. I suspect his property prices aren't low.

I have a feeling that London may be the best place in the world in terms of bricks 'n' mortar stores. There are two official LEGO stores, one each at the two Westfields. There's also one in Watford and another in Bluewater both of which are relatively easy to reach from London (north for Watford, south for Bluewater). Add to that all the John Lewises, Argoses, supermarkets, TRUs and WHSs (the last two for newspaper polybag promos) and it wouldn't surprise me if London had the highest density of retailers selling LEGO of anywhere in the world.

Online stores/market places are a different matter. It's difficult to beat BrickLink in the US in terms of variety and low cost especially if you're after specific parts. Sure, you can order from US BL sellers from the UK, but unless you keep the order total under £15, you're liable for substantial taxes and Post Office charges (12% duty + 20% VAT including on the postage and duty + £8 Post Office charge). BL sellers in the UK and elsewhere in Europe tend to be fairly expensive compared to the US. Also, you can't order from the Netherlands if you're in the UK: there's roughly a 50% chance your order will go missing in transit. I doubt there's anywhere in Europe - even within countries never mind between - where postage is lower than within the US.

Edited by AmperZand

I don't know, Japan always seems to get some really cool exclusive stuff. I love their LEGO lifestyle magazine and catalog ClickBrick.

I am reading alot of country vs. country comments on here. I don't have much experience with what goes on in other countries. My BL store really only makes US sales and I don't know many from other countries so I cannot comment about that. But..... to turn the conversation in the US... I have lived in a variety of different states. I would have to say that out of all the states in the US, I would say Texas is one of the best ones. I know in Dallas and Austin LEGO is really big, but in San Antonio (where I live now) there does not seem to be the interest (as far as Adult-themed sets go) that there is in other places. Adult-themed sets that are rare seem to not fly off shelves and it is especially nice for me. The Tumbler last year, large Technic sets, Exosuit and other LEGO Ideas (rare) models are always here in abundance. Even the large Architecture, like around a year ago, when it was unavailable from S@H and sky-rocketed in price was here in San Antonio. I picked up several sets and sold them for substantial gains along with the other examples. To be honest with you, I get to pay for my hobby with sales from examples like these. In my experience, where I am now is one of the best places, at least for me, that I have lived for buying LEGO. I would never be able to buy multiple large adult-themed sets like I do now when I was living in other places in the US.

I have a feeling that London may be the best place in the world in terms of bricks 'n' mortar stores. There are two official LEGO stores, one each at the two Westfields. There's also one in Watford and another in Bluewater both of which are relatively easy to reach from London (north for Watford, south for Bluewater). Add to that all the John Lewises, Argoses, supermarkets, TRUs and WHSs (the last two for newspaper polybag promos) and it wouldn't surprise me if London had the highest density of retailers selling LEGO of anywhere in the world.

Even though the Australian RRP price is high, very few people ever pay full price for Lego here. Most large shopping centres have 5 different retailers selling Lego, and it's pretty much guaranteed that one of them is offering at least 20% off at any given time, some even up to 33 1/3 (Buy 2-get-1-free offers) And considering our smaller population, we might give London a run on the density stakes.

Sure, while our exchange rate was high, we were really getting a bad deal, but not that it has fallen again, it's cheaper to buy things here.

Our major drawback is that we do not have any Lego retail stores, so new exclusive sets (modulars, UCS etc) can take 6 months or more to hit local shelves, so many people buy from S@H to get them early, but as soon as they do hit, they will be at 20% off. The lack of a Legos store also means that parts are expensive, as we do not have access to the Pick-a-Brick walls. The S@H pick-a-brick prices are excessively high, but at least you can get free postage if you buy enough, and they have more available than any BrickLink store.

Still, the US or Germany seem to me to be the best places to live for Lego buying purposes, but since they are the two biggest consumers, that's not really surprising.

Wow 60080 Spaceport has just shown up on shop at home at £69.99 when it is $119.99 + Tax in the US, 60092 Deep Sea Submarine is £24.99 or $39.99. Now these are the two sets with the biggest gap but still nice to see for those of us in the UK. I am guess that even though the spaceport is why over priced in the US these thing have a way of working themselves out, less people will buy it and it will easier to get on sale. In the UK we have higher prices than some but more sales, likewise I think these high priced sets in the US will be easy to find on sale.

I don't know, Japan always seems to get some really cool exclusive stuff.

I went to a couple of ClickBricks last year, one in Inagi and one in Yokohama. They were both nice stores but, apart from key rings, they didn't have any exclusives - unless you mean exclusives within Japan, i.e. not available from other retailers in the country.

The best country to buy is USA, for sure.

Amazon has amazing prices.

The worst?

BRAZIL

RRP of a battle pack: $40

In RIo de janeiro, we have a LEGO store, the only one in the World were You can find a superstar destroyer 10221.

Why? It is $1000.

Mindstorm EV3? $1000

I have one million of examples, ten years out of the dark times buying when travelling or when i lived abroad

Reasons for this price? They have millions.

The minimal income in Brazil is $200 And the average income is $500.

Lego restarted its business in Brazil one year Ago.

Did You expected some danish business Style around here?

I didn't

I never did

This is the country who taught FIFA works with the rules You are all watching today

i went to a toy store today with my family.

the Aurora's Set 41060 is $28.