D3K

[MOC] Pneumatic Materials Handler/Excavator

Nice work, D3K :thumbup:

I really like the pneumatic-only render :wub:

Any idea how much time it took to make all the tubes?

And, I believe I've made a new LDCad fan :laugh:

There are a lot more (sometimes almost hidden) features in LDCad. I'm using it for months now and I'm still discovering new things.

It might have to do with the lack of an extensive manual (although Roland is working on expanding the information/manual on his website and it's looking very good).

Btw, I hope to be able to finally stop using MLcad completely when LDCad 1.5 arrives. It has a new source-editor (

), like the list of parts and steps in MLcad, but better and newer. That was basicly the only main reason I was still using MLCad, for creating steps for instructions.

Indeed, and the "list" is the only thing I miss too! :laugh: Especially when it comes to stepping a build. As far as I have seen at least, LDcad doesn't let you have an overview in the same way. But having used it for less than a week now, I can really see the potential in it! :thumbup: :thumbup:

As for the time to make it all, I really don't know, but I feel it was pretty quick! The ability to drag and place "waypoints" in three dimensions in real time, and instantly see the route of the tube, is a major time saver! :thumbup:

Is it based of a real brand?

Sorry for late reply, didn't see you there :blush:

No, it is not supposed to be any particular brand, but colour-wise Liebherr might spring to mind.. I was inspired by several models from browsing the CranesEtcTV YouTube channel, amongst others the Case CX240B MH and misc. Sennebogen and Liebherr machines :classic:

Anyway, I have now redesigned the chassis and made a better digital file.

The dozer blade is now operated by a small LA instead of pneumatics, as I found it was too easy to spin the superstructure too many times, therby tangling the pneumatic hose going through the turntable.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

The new LDraw file is fully stepped, with reasonable submodels (arm, dipper, chassis, superstructure, etc), so anyone wanting to give it a go should be able to build it fairly easily.

I highly reccommend using LDcad for the build process, maybe in conjunction with LPub (for parts callout). LDcad will let you go through the file step by step, while allowing you to rotate and inspect the model from every angle. Also it gives you the lengtht might give an approximate length of the pneumatic hoses. It might be a good idea to change the colour of the hoses to see where they go :wink:

There shouldn't be any rare parts here, except for the two, long, old cylinders. Later this summer, when the 42043 is released, I will do an updated version of this MOC, using the new cylinders :thumbup:

The digital file can be downloaded here. It is built as an excavator, but the material grab is included as a submodel.

EDIT: I will try to add it to rebrickable in not too long :thumbup:

Edited by D3K

Also it gives you the length of the pneumatic hoses.
I would highly recommend testing it first using a string or something, as the length's are approximations (sum of all segment lengths).

I would highly recommend testing it first using a string or something, as the length's are approximations (sum of all segment lengths).

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll edit the text accordingly. I haven't actually tried it, but I'll give it a go with one of the more complex hoses on this model! :thumbup:

I really like the model by the way :)

Small notes:

You seem to have forgotten to assign rubber color numbers to the hoses making them look like normal plastic.

And there is still a reference to a (previous used) thread loop sub model.

Very nice MOC. I like when someone put many functions in small place... :-)

I really like the model by the way :)

Small notes:

You seem to have forgotten to assign rubber color numbers to the hoses making them look like normal plastic.

And there is still a reference to a (previous used) thread loop sub model.

Thanks, glad you like it! :thumbup:

The colour is intentional, as I feel it represents the newer pneumatic hoses better than the more matte rubber colour of older hoses.

Thanks for pointing out the unused sub-model, it has been deleted now! I think :blush:

The model has been approved by Rebrickable, so full parts list (fewer parts than I thought) and everything one should need can be found there. :thumbup:

Blakbird has also just made a couple of his famous awesomerenders for this model, here are a couple of them, see them in all their glory in his Bricksafe folder

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

any chance there is a video of this in action?

No, not yet I'm afraid. I'm hoping to make one demonstrating the functions over the weekend :thumbup: