Sign in to follow this  
ED-209

Shrine of the Golden Spear; a Viking MOD

I saw the Ninjago 70752 Jungle Trap set, and on a whim remade it into something more Viking-ish.

The MOD is functionally identical to the original; a footfall on the top step triggers the trap. I've replaced the orc-swords with axes and the palm fronds with the more traditional foliage piece. The grass is now snow, and the wooden structure has been replaced with a runestone.

"A lone Viking searches high in the mountains for the legendary Golden Spear. The sagas say it was once wielded by a great warrior, and lies in wait for one wise enough to retrieve it unscathed."

shrine_of_the_golden_spear_01_by_edward_the_red-d8s36un.png

shrine_of_the_golden_spear_02_by_edward_the_red-d8s36wf.png

I'm not familiar with Ninjago or the Vikings but this does look like a good remake. The trap certainly looks effective and the white and grey definitely look cold and dangerous. Good idea using the dark green leaves - they just look so much better than standard or light green. I wonder if I'm quick enough to snatch that spear...

I'm not familiar with Ninjago or the Vikings but this does look like a good remake. The trap certainly looks effective and the white and grey definitely look cold and dangerous. Good idea using the dark green leaves - they just look so much better than standard or light green. I wonder if I'm quick enough to snatch that spear...

Thanks Captain! I felt the leaves in dark green had more of a northern European vibe than just the standard green.

I've switched to a light bley slope to match the rest of the runestone, and changed my mind about the minifig. I've switched him to a different fig altogether (the torso is a custom print, and the fur worn over the cloak is my first attempt at making custom fabric pieces!)

shrine_of_the_golden_spear_03_by_edward_the_red-d8scnbr.png

shrine_of_the_golden_spear_04_by_edward_the_red-d8scnd8.png

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome! :grin:

The runestone definitely looks better in one color and the custom minifig is good. The cloak and fur look more appropriate for such a cold environment. Good job matching the hairpiece color to the facial hair on both figs. Apparently this doesn't tickle everyone's fancy, but I think a friendly environment like EB could at least offer a few words...

Very nice creation :classic:

The minifigures look - I really like the white cape :thumbup:

Thanks very much guys! I'm very pleased with how the cape turned out, and my son loves playing with the "action feature" of the trap (but credit to TLG there, I didn't design that bit! :laugh: )

Your furcape is outstanding! I really wish Lego made something like that.

In point of fact they do make something very similar, but as a full-length cloak:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=12857

And it's remarkably easy to make one of these! If you're interested I'd encourage you to try it yourself, I've more photos of the fig and an explanation of how I made the fur here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109244

Wow... ED-209 (for those who don't know or don't frequent the MCW forum much - ED is a veritable Legend when it comes to customising!)

Simple +1 for the cape... all kinds of awesome... simple, stylish and effective.

D

Wow... ED-209 (for those who don't know or don't frequent the MCW forum much - ED is a veritable Legend when it comes to customising!)

Simple +1 for the cape... all kinds of awesome... simple, stylish and effective.

D

Ooh, thanks!! :blush::laugh:

Ooh, thanks!! :blush::laugh:

No probs - a couple of people here helped drag me kicking and screaming out of my dark ages - JFox and Wardancer certainly had a big influence - but your decals were the very first thing I saw that suddenly piqued my curiosity and started the ball roll... and its being gathering momentum ever since!

Much Love

D

No probs - a couple of people here helped drag me kicking and screaming out of my dark ages - JFox and Wardancer certainly had a big influence - but your decals were the very first thing I saw that suddenly piqued my curiosity and started the ball roll... and its being gathering momentum ever since!

Much Love

D

Well I'm glad to have played a part in bringing you back into the fold! :grin: