LegoWolf

[MOC] Modular Train Station

I've always wanted to add a train to my Lego modular street, and it seemed like the right place to start was a train station! It's been years since I've had my own Lego town, but the modular series has really got me excited and building all over again.

Would you like to see this model sold as a genuine Lego set? Please support my design on Lego Ideas. :)

16999742716_295ee7dda8_n.jpgTrain Station Front Above by dfalkner, on Flickr

16999741106_fcea03469e_n.jpgTrain Station Rear by dfalkner, on Flickr

16839519679_3c4affe9ef_n.jpgTrain Station Open Rear by dfalkner, on Flickr

17024287082_7bff2f5489_n.jpgTrain Station Parts by dfalkner, on Flickr

17060513501_56aa95c9f2_n.jpgTrain Station Interior Ticket Booth by dfalkner, on Flickr

Thanks for your help!

Edited by LegoWolf

This is the first time I've noticed someone use those dark tan masonry bricks in a pleasant way. (I've never seen them put to good use in the sets.) They look very nice on this building.

And yes, the skylight looks great.

I though this looked familiar, good luck with this cool design 'LegoWolf', I supported it. :thumbup:

Brick On 'LegoWolf' ! :grin:

The open rear looks great as well. I've been intending to remove the rear walls from my modulars as well to better see the interior details (and free some bricks). But this solution creates the best of both worlds. Very impressive.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! This is the first MOC I've shared online, and I'm bowled over by the friendliness and supportiveness of the community. :)

@jodawill: Funny, I could have sworn that dark tan masonry was more common than that, but it's not anywhere else on my modular street. Huh! A big reason that I've got the combination of dark and light tan is brick availability. Light tan masonry wasn't available, and neither were dark tan arches, and so I tried a few combinations (including brown, dark red and medium flesh) until I found a scheme that worked and that I could buy.

@lightningtiger: Haha, small world, isn't it? Thanks again for the support!

@dr_sarcophagus: Yeah, the thing that made this build unlike Lego's other modulars is the large, vaulted interior. I wanted the decorative clock to be the centrepiece whether the building was open or closed, and so my first instinct to make removable storeys didn't quite work. I think this compromise works reasonably well. I was concerned at first that it might be a bit wobbly, but once I built it and fiddled, I managed to make it sturdy and keep everything lined up properly.

Edited by LegoWolf

Lots to like about this one, but the skylights and the harmonious curved windows at the front are the highlights for me!

9198929916_b0540e73a9_o.png

This looks great. Kind of reminds me of Grand Central in NYC. With that said, you ever consider making this a corner piece?

Your station looks amazing. My favourite feature is the layout with the door facing the street, a depth that fits nicely in a row of modular buildings, and an open back to board the trains. To top it all, the architectural details are nice as well, and I find the building as such very inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

@Kristel: Thanks so much, and also for featuring my model on your blog. My flickr account has literally never seen so much activity in its life. :) I love what you've done with blending modulars and Friends btw. The colour palette of Friends is such a great development for decor colours, like your townhouses show!

@marook: Haha! Yeah, I had a train that I really wanted to add to my street, which was pretty much the entire reason I designed this building. Thanks!

@Alucard1977: Thank-you! Corner buildings are so tempting to make, because you get so much more facade to play with. I think if I redesigned for a corner, I'd rethink the facade and roof design significantly so that the corner would be a big focal point. How would you envision the train track running with that layout? I chose a straight building for a couple of reasons specific to my street: I have a narrow display shelf, and so I needed the track to run compactly along the back of the buildings and I figured a corner building would interfere with that, and also because I can place a straight building anywhere along my street whereas a corner building can only go in a couple of places.

@Redhead1982: Thank-you for being so specific! I tried to think of an entrance style that I didn't have yet on my street yet, and found a few examples of real train stations with a recessed entrance mounted by large, shallow steps and I figured that would give the extra bit of variety and gravity I was looking for.

@Alucard1977: Thank-you! Corner buildings are so tempting to make, because you get so much more facade to play with. I think if I redesigned for a corner, I'd rethink the facade and roof design significantly so that the corner would be a big focal point. How would you envision the train track running with that layout? I chose a straight building for a couple of reasons specific to my street: I have a narrow display shelf, and so I needed the track to run compactly along the back of the buildings and I figured a corner building would interfere with that, and also because I can place a straight building anywhere along my street whereas a corner building can only go in a couple of places.

Well if I had your skill set, what I would do is an elevated Train, just like here:

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=108396

That should also solve some of the space issue. Since your going up.

Now, I would replace the Grand Emporium here, with a corner trainstation.

img_3252.jpg

From that, I would use your open concept so that you can look down into the actual train station.

I am not sure if you were ever at Grand Central Station in NYC, but it is on a corner, and it goes down stairs and opens up beautifully. I always thought Grand Central Station would be a beautiful Modular. In this picturem those stairs are coming from the main street level.

Grand-Central-Station.jpg

Corner view:

grand-central-station.jpg

Edited by Alucard1977

Love it great job. You even included train times and destinations like Milan, very detailed. I can tell a lot of work, time, and thought was put into this. :classic::thumbup: :thumbup:

@Alucard1977: That's a killer layout with the subway system! I'll have to think about it. It's a lot of bricks to buy, and I'd need to commit to a specific street layout. On the other hand, the wow factor would be off the charts. :)

Edited by LegoWolf

Quite a nice station you've built. I like how you have the tracks set up to continue to either side of the station versus the ones where they stop. I think this gives it a better chance as a modular.

Looks great! I think the official modular series could really use a train station and your design is excellent - I could see this fitting right in to so many modular/train layouts very well so good luck on ideas!

Thanks so much for your comments and support, everyone! I originally designed this station to fill a particular hole on my street (no train!), but it's really cool that so many other folks might have a home for it too. :classic:

Marvelous, professional grade facade. I'm also really smitten with the turnstyles - never seen those attempted before and you did it perfectly.