Sign in to follow this  
frumpy

[Freebuild UoP DoH] Humble beginnings

Hi All,

This is our (my wife does the writing and I do the building) first story build for my sig-fig Sebastian.

For this build I'd like to apply for the following UoP DoH credits:

• Architecture - Roofing

• Landscape Design - Trees

• Agriculture and Zoology - Raising Livestock

Story and pictures below. Thanks.

A light breeze stirred through the leaves of the trees and a small smile played across the lips of a young boy throwing a ball time after time to his dog, a boundless ball of energy. Neither seemed to tire of the game, but Sebastian’s smile was not born of his enjoyment of the simple game of fetch, but rather of the daydream that he was lost in. In his mind’s eye Sebastian could see himself astride a magnificent white steed, armour gleaming and lance raised as he met the fiery gaze of a dragon with steel in his eyes.

The insistent barking of Hugo snapped him back into reality and his shoulders drooped slightly as he took in his surroundings – his father, Tomas and mother, Georgia, hard at work, as they were every day on the farm. Sebastian sighed as he threw the ball once more, wishing as he did every day that his life held more than carrying on the family farm. He yearned with every ounce of his soul to travel to cities beyond his imagining and fight in the grand battles he had heard minstrels tell of. He knew his father had seen many things he did not speak of when he was forced to serve in the army many years before and more than anything he wanted to live a life that held secrets, excitement and danger. He wanted to feel alive.

The ball suddenly fell from Hugo’s mouth and one ear cocked as the sound of horse’s hooves could be heard approaching from the distance. Hugo began to dance madly in circles, excited by the prospect of a new playmate and driven half mad by the smell of a strange animal. The family paused in their tasks; riders rarely passed the isolated farmhouse, their appearance usually signifying some emergency. Not this time. It was not a village messenger or a far off neighbour approaching, but a stranger, features and form hidden by a dark green cloak. Sebastian squinted his eyes trying to make out more detail, but the horse cantered past, leaving dust in its wake and Sebastian wondering if he had imagined that long lock of brown hair escaping the hood…

16721386843_1b315e4041_c.jpg

16721434503_5b30f8d797_c.jpg

17155470359_16157a5a64_c.jpg

17341671505_a87247518c_c.jpg

17341292241_d197845eeb_c.jpg

Ah, the call to adventure. I am feeling a bit of D'Artagnan and a bit of Bilbo with the story. I really like the cottage, and the detailed saturated grounds look fantastic. UoP +1 all claims

Edited by robuko

This is so beautiful a depiction of Avalonia I just have to go hug a tree! :laugh:

Way to make a fantastic first impression - You have packed so many cool details onto that irregular base. My absolute favourite is the house, but other highlights are the goat enclosure, the tools on the side of the house and that marvellous story! :wub:

It is good to have you in Avalonia, and I cannot wait to see what adventures Sebastian will find in Historica! :thumbup:

This is truly beautiful. The different colored plates look good with so much texture and different forms of vegetation. The house is excellent and you've captured the look of a small farm very well with the stone-walled goat pen. The trees are simple but look good in this scale. But best of all, the story and build match perfectly. Both are superb, and for once the vivid visual imagery of the story is met if not surpassed by the build. Excellent job by both of you and keep it up!

Edited by Captain Dee

UoP DoH +1 on all credits. To be clear, the tree credit is one of three, as you can claim only one tree credit per build.

Very nice! There are so many details in this build I like, I can't name them all. Very good!

Fantastic build! The road and stone wall are excellent, you have a lot of goats! *oh2*

+1 UoP on all claims :classic:

Thanks everyone, I did enjoy this build as I hadn't done a farm before.

Excellent MOC here frumpy! The house looks really good, especially that roof! The low stone wall is also very nice! +1 for the UoP credits! :thumbup:

Outstanding and lovely build frumpy, excellent job on the house and landscaping, the roof technique is very nice, and the trees and stone wall are great as well!

Your style fits perfectly in Avalonia, so lush and alive looking :thumbup: The sprawling base is excellent and I like the cottage design :classic:

Amazing work :wub: . I love the colours in your creation. Furthermore the base looks great, too.

Absolutely stunning build here frumpy, this is pure eye candy! Goodness, so many excellent details here, it's difficult to point them all out! I really, really like the landscaping here and the use of so much color. The palette really brings this build to life and gives it such a vibrant look. The house is a brilliant design too. The low slung, interlocking roof looks excellent and is a wonderful technique I may have to borrow for a future build! There's a bit of a gap in the roof though that could have been eliminated by filing in the background behind the home. The figs, garden, vegetation, path and all those little details (like the wagon wheel leaning against the house, the chimney smoke, etc.) are fantastic touches and really propel this to a first-class build.

I don't know what it is about you Aussies, but you guys know how to lay down some studs!

Absolutely stunning build here frumpy, this is pure eye candy! Goodness, so many excellent details here, it's difficult to point them all out! I really, really like the landscaping here and the use of so much color. The palette really brings this build to life and gives it such a vibrant look. The house is a brilliant design too. The low slung, interlocking roof looks excellent and is a wonderful technique I may have to borrow for a future build! There's a bit of a gap in the roof though that could have been eliminated by filing in the background behind the home. The figs, garden, vegetation, path and all those little details (like the wagon wheel leaning against the house, the chimney smoke, etc.) are fantastic touches and really propel this to a first-class build.

I don't know what it is about you Aussies, but you guys know how to lay down some studs!

Thanks. Yes, I didn't notice the gap in the roof until the photo editing stage :wacko: so I'll be mindful of that in the future (I didn't build the house to be viewed from the back so I left it empty).

Us Aussies are thinking about a GoH collaboration sometime which should be interesting. Although I think I'm outnumbered as most of them like to dwell in the shadows of Nocturnus.