Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

So here are a couple of customs (semi-purist, so forgive the inaccuracies). I don't have an extensive budget like many of y'all, so I make do.

Rebel Heroes (left to right): Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Leia Organa (Jedi Knight), General Lando Calrissian, Wedge Antilles

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7XSw45QsVVHxoV7G9

Rebel Leaders: Chewbacca (I really want the new figure), Admiral Ackbar, Mon Mothma (the hair is atrocious but I'm working on that), Garm bel Iblis, C-3PO and R2D2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nEkiim3NtiP8YqxB9

Rogue Squadron: Gavin Darklighter, Wes Janson, Voort "Piggy" SaBinring, Corran Horn

https://photos.app.goo.gl/19x6GgTQ3B3Yonwg6

Rogue Squadron Part 2 and Other Pilots: Ooryl Qrygg, Derek Klivian, Shriv Suurgav, Jaina Solo, Mara Jade Skywalker

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sGVG6dz5PXWgb3He7

Rebel Soldiers: Pathfinder (I love using Quinlan Vos's face to make a combat stripe!), Two Variants of New Republic Trooper, One Mandalorian-style New Republic Trooper

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v1qYemLnZKpC13Xa8

New Jedi Order: Kyp Durron, Cilghal, an Ithorian Jedi (the head was fun), and my self-insert Jedi "Skier" (true name Liedan Forcas)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3FCK2SV1aaZkaqCN6

Enjoy!

@Skier1215 those look pretty good, especially for a budget with some older parts like you said. Very creative head build for the ithorian I'll have to copy (Like you, I don't have an extensive enough budget to spend the disturbing amounts lego ithorian heads go for on bricklink).

I didn't realize these were legends figures at first and was super confused with the middle NR troops, but upon looking at reference material they all look very accurate. (even Bel Ibis, who I confess that while I've read the thrawn trilogy, I've never seen an image of)

3 hours ago, easytiger said:

i just call this bunch 'Rebel scum'.....

44b02f2dc01bd38a21087a3a57c871a6 by Nathan Oldland, en Flickr

49923609086_13a0578d1c_c.jpgd53f0f11cb7dd1c6d88bf2b04afe6ebd by Nathan Oldland, en Flickr

c0e87729fcd6cf815a9ba551e by Nathan Oldland, en Flickr

I love those man, super cute! But how have you made the arm on the one to the left? Cannot see what parts u have used

Edited by Sneakguest

3 hours ago, easytiger said:

i just call this bunch 'Rebel scum'.....

That is indeed a very nice mix'n'matched bunch. But the droid-dog takes the cake, LOVE IT !!

Alrighty, after a few days wait, I've got my "Villains and Scoundrels" setup done, so without further ado...

Scoundrels: Leebo (the droid from the 2010 Grievous Starfighter was the other choice for a head), Dash Rendar, The Mandalorian (Din Djarrin; until I get my hands on the AT-ST or Razor Crest this is the best I have for now), Cara Dune (same deal), Boba Fett

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GGi3QhyXiGw7yM5t6

Imperial Foot Troops (I have multiple of each of these): Scout Trooper (Fallen Order-style), Stormtrooper, Flametrooper, Magmatrooper (based on Galaxy of Heroes model), Snowtrooper (I really want that skirt piece on the new ones)

Front: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AinKPbWQGjdz77hZ9

Back: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zFTab8t1AnW7tma56

Elite Imperials: Moff Gideon, Quirinius Phasma (the likely look of Phasma's father if he was in the Empire's stormtroopers), Two variants of Purge Troopers (Fallen Order), Purge Trooper (Uprising)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8aXun71yrpFvAwQg7

Sith and Assassins 1: Darth Krayt, Nightsister Inquisitor, Darth Plagueis, Darth Caedus

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VrEx2GgWqVxEPYVy7

Imperial Brass: Lumiya, Imperial Doctor, Grand Admiral Thrawn (still looking for gold shoulder pads), Captain Pellaeon (I want J. Jonah's head but this one is good for a younger version)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vsVFoFpVS19ecUU46

Inferno Squad: Iden Versio and ID10, Del Meeko, Gideon Hask, Seyn Marana

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NwrUVPDF41UL7EVi7

If you're curious about what pieces I used, just ask!

20 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

I love those man, super cute! But how have you made the arm on the one to the left? Cannot see what parts u have used

It's just a brown 'monopod' and a brown (ever so slightly modified) hand soooo as you might guess it's a bit delicate for anyting else but a photo....

I just wanted to try and 'out-cute' the Yodling..........!. 

Edited by easytiger

In the new ocean explorer ship, is that a new hair piece for the female minifig in the middle or is that a solid black piece similar to Daisy Kaboom’s? Either way looks like a good fit for Cara Dune though the part is on the other side it still may work...sorry for the bad pic, copied it off Lego shop site...

70B89787-4C58-46B5-A7DA-5A5463D375E1.jpeg

50 minutes ago, JRBricks said:

In the new ocean explorer ship, is that a new hair piece for the female minifig in the middle or is that a solid black piece similar to Daisy Kaboom’s? Either way looks like a good fit for Cara Dune though the part is on the other side it still may work...sorry for the bad pic, copied it off Lego shop site...

70B89787-4C58-46B5-A7DA-5A5463D375E1.jpeg

Yeah it's this one that I'd been using coloured black with a permanent marker. Works very well for her, glad it's now officially being released in black:

49564553948_70ca1697a1_c.jpg

@Keagantuan, I picked up some of the Shoretrooper arms and they look awesome!  The EclipseGrafx site makes the blue look really bright, but it matches Lego's sand blue perfectly, and I also picked up some E-22 blasters.  From left to right, standard trooper, captain, and squad leader.

f61AflS.jpg  CPX5i7k.jpg

Here's a shot showing the removable clip, if you're into that sort of thing.

Zxhby4I.jpg

I also picked up some other new (to me) Brickarms: Some DLT-19D rifles for my Death Troopers, some RK-3 pistols for my officers, and SE-14r repeating pistols for my Stormtroopers.

oiA6HNt.jpg  jvk7ZAt.jpg  gWkfL3J.jpg

I also got a few regular DLT-19s for my Sandtroopers and a single DLT-19X targeting rifle for my ye olde scoute troopers (I really need to pick up one of the new ones but they're not cheap).

reVSriz.jpg  LPJsYlK.jpg

And here's a little Scarif scene to show off my troopers with my squad leader in the background:

tHw8JSv.jpg

Forgot to add this to my earlier post, sorry.  I also made (from left to right) Commander Gaunt, Wing Commander Rosh, Flight Lieutenant Ada, and Petty Officer Neel from Otaking's TIE Fighter anime short to put in my TIE Interceptor, Bomber, and LN.  Gaunt's torso isn't totally accurate but it's either this or Tarkin's!  I think part 92081 in tan would be better for Gaunt's hair, but I don't have that piece yet.  I gave Gaunt a cherry, since in the dossier it talks about how he always hands underlings fruit.  I settled on light bley hair for Rosh, but I think I might get ahold of a dark bley piece as his hair is darker in the short. There isn't a face with a scar over the eye for Ada, but I think Neel looks pretty decent!  Parts suggestions are always welcome!

pKQa4ej.jpg

In case you don't want to watch the vid, here's the poster he did that displays the characters.

tie_fighter_poster_by_mightyotaking_d8mw

Anybody have thoughts on Ada's hair between these two pieces?

EvYmAan.jpg  YIJcMzv.jpg

1 hour ago, DrMuttonchops said:

Anybody have thoughts on Ada's hair between these two pieces?

I like the first choice, Barbra's hair.

1 hour ago, DrMuttonchops said:

"I gave Gaunt a cherry, since in the dossier it talks about how he always hands underlings fruit."

EvYmAan.jpg

Handing underlings fruit hahahaha. Exciting lore.

I like the flair of the second hair over the accuracy of the first. The other hairpieces are a little more vibrant.

4 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I like the first choice, Barbra's hair.

Same. Makes it look more anime-like, which works pretty well considering the style of the short.

Sorry for the third post in a short time, my Din Djarin minifig finally showed up!  I got the brickarms dual-molded Amban disruptor rifle and pistol for him a while back and got the arms with my Eclipse order.  I've had some brickarms with loose handles but these are pretty tight.  The disruptor doesn't have a great way to sling it across the back though.  The bricklink vendor I bought the minifig from included a cape from Cape Madness?  Their site was pretty scant on details but obviously they make capes and it looks decent, so complaints here.  Here are shots of the guns, arms, and cape!

aZynH07.jpg  gcqCCOs.jpg

w8k2Q6G.jpg  p3mMNit.jpg

I also picked up the new brickarms triple-molded EE-3 carbine for my UCS Slave I Boba!  The stock, barrel, and scope are all different color plastic.  I don't think I did it justice, it looks way better in person.

U5cqKkP.jpg

Lastly here's Ada and my bomber!  Thanks for the feedback guys.

e9q426c.jpg

2 hours ago, DrMuttonchops said:

Sorry for the third post in a short time, my Din Djarin minifig finally showed up!  I got the brickarms dual-molded Amban disruptor rifle and pistol for him a while back and got the arms with my Eclipse order.  I've had some brickarms with loose handles but these are pretty tight.  The disruptor doesn't have a great way to sling it across the back though.  The bricklink vendor I bought the minifig from included a cape from Cape Madness?  Their site was pretty scant on details but obviously they make capes and it looks decent, so complaints here.  Here are shots of the guns, arms, and cape!

I recently just grabbed a couple of LEGO rubber bands to try and use as a bandoleer. It worked really well on Mando with the cape. So happy I tried it. I wish I had a pic posted... I really need to start posting pics of my figs. I have so many customs (I'm a huge EU fan).

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=x88&C=11#T=S&C=11&O={"color":"11","iconly":0}

You need to upgrade Boba's jetpack. I've ordered from both Arealight and CAC and they look fantastic.

Thank you for introducing me to that TIE Fighter anime. I was a huge fan of the game 25 years ago, and your customs are spot on.

And, please keep posting in this topic as much as possible. This is by far my favorite topic... I always have a tab open with it. I love seeing who and what people are doing with coming up with custom figs.

1 hour ago, LegoCalrissian said:

I recently just grabbed a couple of LEGO rubber bands to try and use as a bandoleer.

You need to upgrade Boba's jetpack. I've ordered from both Arealight and CAC and they look fantastic.

Thank you for introducing me to that TIE Fighter anime. I was a huge fan of the game 25 years ago, and your customs are spot on.

And, please keep posting in this topic as much as possible. This is by far my favorite topic... I always have a tab open with it. I love seeing who and what people are doing with coming up with custom figs.

Thanks for the suggestion on the rubber band!  I have a ton of those from old sets, but they were in the attic for a long time so they're all degraded... I'll pick one up on my next order.  Does the square profile look okay?

I REALLY need to get a jetpack, I want to get an arealight one but I couldn't find a US seller and with COVID I know that international shipping can be problematic.  Does anyone have any suggestion?  The CAC one is okay but I do like the Arealight one more.  

Glad to have shown you the TIE short!  It's SO good, I try to watch it regularly.  Otaking has a fun PDF dossier that gives some background on the four "main characters" which really fun!

@Reaper I can't wait to see it!  There are some helmets that are way better than the stock one...

37 minutes ago, DrMuttonchops said:

I REALLY need to get a jetpack, I want to get an arealight one but I couldn't find a US seller and with COVID I know that international shipping can be problematic.  Does anyone have any suggestion?  The CAC one is okay but I do like the Arealight one more.  

Yes, Arealight's jetpack is better, in my opinion. I haven't ordered anything from him since 12/18. Check out nashvegasbricks on ebay. He resells a lot of the top custom makers.

11 hours ago, LegoCalrissian said:

How are the neck brackets on these? I've only ever ordered a couple of custom backpacks (have to say I forget if they were Arealight or CAC, or both) and I found the neck brackets too thick each time. It's obviously just personal taste but I didn't like how thick they were and how much higher the head/helmet sits on the figure as a result. It's the one thing putting me off from buying any more. Has anyone found any where the neck bracket is of similar thickness to the Lego pieces?

On 5/28/2020 at 3:09 PM, DrMuttonchops said:

@Keagantuan, I picked up some of the Shoretrooper arms and they look awesome!  The EclipseGrafx site makes the blue look really bright, but it matches Lego's sand blue perfectly, and I also picked up some E-22 blasters.  From left to right, standard trooper, captain, and squad leader.

Thanks for posting these pics. I've gone on a big arm upgrade mission for my Imperials recently. EclipseGrafx seem to hit a lot of the gaps that Firestar don't make, only I was reluctant to pay for postage to the UK without having seen them in action. These look great.

2 hours ago, V-2929 said:

How are the neck brackets on these? I've only ever ordered a couple of custom backpacks (have to say I forget if they were Arealight or CAC, or both) and I found the neck brackets too thick each time. It's obviously just personal taste but I didn't like how thick they were and how much higher the head/helmet sits on the figure as a result. It's the one thing putting me off from buying any more. Has anyone found any where the neck bracket is of similar thickness to the Lego pieces?

I just compared both the Arealight and CAC jetpacks to the LEGO one and they all look like the same thickness. All three figs stood at the same height.