Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

On 3/29/2021 at 7:36 PM, Seaber said:

_20210329_173143

Anyone tried the yellow boots for the Cloud Car Pilots yet? Not sure about swapping their hands to yellow. 

Vintage-Cloud-Car-Pilot_Big_2.jpg

I would switch the hands to yellow. They are supposed to wear cloves. Well I did with mine ;)

Anyone got any tips for Omega, or purist bad batch upgrades? So far I've got:

Omega: Midi legs, cloud car pilot torso with DBG arms, Leia's head and Farmboy Luke's hair.

Hunter: Overall the same, but I gave him black shoulder pads (From the CMF bounty hunter), as I thought it was a big part of his armor. I also gave him a gold knife for his vibroblade and a double barreled gun with a 1x1 open stud at the end for his commando blaster

Wrecker: Only change was giving him the above commando blaster

Echo: Added a black Kama

Tech: Swapped his pistols out for the old pistol design, which is the same shape but smaller.

Crosshair: added a backpack.

21 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Anyone got any tips for Omega, or purist bad batch upgrades? So far I've got:

Omega: Midi legs, cloud car pilot torso with DBG arms, Leia's head and Farmboy Luke's hair.

Hunter: Overall the same, but I gave him black shoulder pads (From the CMF bounty hunter), as I thought it was a big part of his armor. I also gave him a gold knife for his vibroblade and a double barreled gun with a 1x1 open stud at the end for his commando blaster

Wrecker: Only change was giving him the above commando blaster

Echo: Added a black Kama

Tech: Swapped his pistols out for the old pistol design, which is the same shape but smaller.

Crosshair: added a backpack.

I feel like Echo is crying out for a robot arm with a 1x1 bar tile for his scomp link, but honestly what he needed was a pirate-hook style hand replacement. Hell, maybe a pirate hook in grey?

3 hours ago, Kettchy said:

I feel like Echo is crying out for a robot arm with a 1x1 bar tile for his scomp link, but honestly what he needed was a pirate-hook style hand replacement. Hell, maybe a pirate hook in grey?

Or Azog's hand (The Hobbit)

42 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Or Azog's hand (The Hobbit)

That's inspired, though unfortunately azog is kinda rare. (his hand alone sells for $13...megablocking insane)

4 hours ago, Kettchy said:

Good idea, let's try that out.

IMG-8122.jpg

IMG-8123.jpg

Ok, so here's all the mods, with the echo arm suggestion by @Kettchy. I personally like the bounty hunter shoulders for hunter better (in the second image), but the ninjago armor in the first does come in gunmetal and is a more accurate shape, I guess, so I thought I'd show it off. Unlike the rest of the batch, I didn't give hunter a backpack because it makes him look weirdly tall and like he has a long neck if the shoulder armor is added as well.

That bow is remarkably clever! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That's inspired, though unfortunately azog is kinda rare. (his hand alone sells for $13...megablocking insane) 

That sucks :sceptic:, I bought one off Bricklink forever ago, so if I decide to get the shuttle I can have a go at it.

Also, does anyone know if Brickarms made the Commando Blaster? Or a similar alternative (not into CAC weapons).

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Good idea, let's try that out.

Ok, so here's all the mods, with the echo arm suggestion by @Kettchy. I personally like the bounty hunter shoulders for hunter better (in the second image), but the ninjago armor in the first does come in gunmetal and is a more accurate shape, I guess, so I thought I'd show it off. Unlike the rest of the batch, I didn't give hunter a backpack because it makes him look weirdly tall and like he has a long neck if the shoulder armor is added as well.

That actually looks a lot better than I expected! I like the kama on him as well. Not sure about the shoulder armour on hunter though, you're right that we really need something halfway between the two.

Omega looks great too, I love the bow. Have you tried her with dark blue arms? I feel like the colour in the show is halfway between dark grey and dark blue. I can't think of a way to get the dark red in either, although I saw a custom on reddit that used a harley quinn nurse torso backwards. 

On 8/9/2021 at 7:59 PM, ARC2149Nova said:

Also, does anyone know if Brickarms made the Commando Blaster? Or a similar alternative (not into CAC weapons).

They actually just started selling them at BFVA. Eclipsegrafx have some of them for sale. I'd be all over them but I just got a boatload of e-11's and DC-15s from Republic Bricks in their bulk weapon offering so now all my imperial troopers and clones are properly outfitted. 

8 hours ago, GlacierPhoenix said:

They actually just started selling them at BFVA. Eclipsegrafx have some of them for sale. I'd be all over them but I just got a boatload of e-11's and DC-15s from Republic Bricks in their bulk weapon offering so now all my imperial troopers and clones are properly outfitted. 

Oh, I am interested, as I am neither a fan of the CAC weapons (no offense to them, they make great figures, but 9 out of 10 times the BrickArms has made the best minifigure weapons with some rare exceptions - their E-11 standard stormtrooper blaster, for example, is actually the oldest and the worst out there). What does the term BFVA mean?

So, I made a concept for two more resistance bomber pilots using my new firestar purchase of Garvin Dreiss’ helmet

10 hours ago, Samppu said:

Oh, I am interested, as I am neither a fan of the CAC weapons (no offense to them, they make great figures, but 9 out of 10 times the BrickArms has made the best minifigure weapons with some rare exceptions - their E-11 standard stormtrooper blaster, for example, is actually the oldest and the worst out there). What does the term BFVA mean?

Brickfair Virginia.

And yeah I agree CAC weapons are fine... just fine. You can tell they've been out for a long time and some of them show that age. 

12 hours ago, Samppu said:

Hey! I love that E-11! Only the best for my Imps! :laugh:

Brickfair Virginia I think?

20 hours ago, GlacierPhoenix said:

Saw them on Brickmania literally seconds after I posted. Shaping up for an order.

Here the helmet concepts are with the figs (will bricklink actual torsos and legs specifically for them later but this was just a helmet swap and comparison to the released figs)

Lego helmet conceptsLego helmet concepts

Edited by Asajki

On 8/10/2021 at 3:36 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

IMG-8122.jpg

IMG-8123.jpg

Omega looks really good, but i would replace the weapon with Minifigure, Weapon Bow with Arrow Pixelated (Minecraft) Item No: 18792, i saw it on youtube and it looked great.

Edited by PreVizsla

24 minutes ago, aroseinbloom said:

Any suggestions for updating Maul's Mandalorian super commandos? Specifically the legs.

Black Arms, DBG hands, DBG hips, and TIE pilot legs.

5 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Omega looks really good, but i would replace the weapon with Minifigure, Weapon Bow with Arrow Pixelated (Minecraft) Item No: 18792, i saw it on youtube and it looked great.

Meh, It's the wrong color, but I see how it could work. It does have the back string, which my bow is unfortunately missing.

1 hour ago, aroseinbloom said:

Any suggestions for updating Maul's Mandalorian super commandos? Specifically the legs.

This is a pretty cool idea to match it with Gar Saxon minifigure. Legs and arms from Hunter/Wrecker, idk if you can find it in any other set cause parts for them are not added to bricklink yet.

Thank you for the answer @ARC2149Nova and @GlacierPhoenix

The reason why I dislike the BrickArms E-11 (I mean, it is not bad, but it is just 3/5) is that it does not catch the most important shape of the gun right. It is smaller than the other options from other makers and thus a little more proportionate, but the movable (not movable in Lego but movable in real life) handle at the bottom of the trunk should extend beyond the pipe, but it does not, which makes the minifigure version of the gun look silly. The scope should also have only one attachment point to the trunk, but I admit that is only a nuance. Nevertheless, the fact that the pipe and the handle are not in correct relation to each other is a bad thing. 
Here is a reference (sorry, I would draw the difference in red, but I don't have a program for it just now, hope you can still see it):

Building Toys Compatible With LEGO Star Wars Custom E-11 Stormtrooper  Blaster Lot 10x Toys & Hobbies

BigKidBrix E-11 actually gets both of these things right:
E-11 Custom Blaster for Lego Star Wars Minifigures Minifigs | bigkidbrix
I have quite a few of the both versions, can't decide which one is the better one in the end. BigKidBrix is overly large and especially the grip where the minifigure holds the gun is overly long, much longer actually than what it seems to be in pictures. You can in fact attach two minifigure hands on top of each other to one grip.

Edited by Samppu

Ok quick question, do any of you “update” your stormtroopers with the white utility belt (27145)? Just occurred to me after seeing Luke from the Death Star Escape Set a couple years ago has a white one (like in ANH after the trash compactor scene he puts on the Stormtrooper belt back on before he swings across with Leia).

I mean the yellow one looks good on Batman and I kinda even like the brown one on Boba, but outfitting all stormies with a belt is it too much lol? 

1 hour ago, JRBricks said:

Ok quick question, do any of you “update” your stormtroopers with the white utility belt (27145)? Just occurred to me after seeing Luke from the Death Star Escape Set a couple years ago has a white one (like in ANH after the trash compactor scene he puts on the Stormtrooper belt back on before he swings across with Leia).

I mean the yellow one looks good on Batman and I kinda even like the brown one on Boba, but outfitting all stormies with a belt is it too much lol? 

I reserve belt pieces for special characters, never for the mass infantry. It's a cool detail, but would (1) be way too expensive to implement, and (2) is just a bit much? Their just infantry, they don't need all the bells and whistles. I mean, you do you, but I personally wouldn't.

Though to be fair, I find the belts somewhat bulky.

12 hours ago, Samppu said:

Thank you for the answer @ARC2149Nova and @GlacierPhoenix

The reason why I dislike the BrickArms E-11 (I mean, it is not bad, but it is just 3/5) is that it does not catch the most important shape of the gun right. It is smaller than the other options from other makers and thus a little more proportionate, but the movable (not movable in Lego but movable in real life) handle at the bottom of the trunk should extend beyond the pipe, but it does not, which makes the minifigure version of the gun look silly. The scope should also have only one attachment point to the trunk, but I admit that is only a nuance. Nevertheless, the fact that the pipe and the handle are not in correct relation to each other is a bad thing. 
Here is a reference (sorry, I would draw the difference in red, but I don't have a program for it just now, hope you can still see it):

BigKidBrix E-11 actually gets both of these things right:
I have quite a few of the both versions, can't decide which one is the better one in the end. BigKidBrix is overly large and especially the grip where the minifigure holds the gun is overly long, much longer actually than what it seems to be in pictures. You can in fact attach two minifigure hands on top of each other to one grip.

Never noticed that. I think if they were able to fix these issues whilst keeping the same scale, it would be better. Even still, they're good enough to have kicked Lego's E-11s to the curb. :grin:

To me, minifig hands were always impossible to use for figures. And as i have so many spares I'd like to use them but yeah, they look horrible if attached to a gun or something  :pir-laugh:

I took the Armorer's helmet from Mando and put it on Thanos/Gamorra's body with the printed golden arms from some viydio box (they gave them away for free). Looks pretty amazing, a golden Mandalorian :kahuka:.

51429767951_5d16e7f046_d.jpg

Here are some figures I have updated (I wouldn't classify the Anakin as an update, I suppose).

Dooku: I gave Dooku the 9494 Anakin legs

Ventress: I recently acquired the 2003 CW Ventress, sans the lightsabers, and gave her the black dress piece from Harry Potter.

Anakin Skywalker (2003): This figure is my solution to not owning an official AoT Anakin (I don't particularly like the official figure anyway). I dig him, and he's one of my favorite prequel-trilogy figures I own.

Quinlan Vos: He now uses Lobo's hairpiece.

Greef Karga: I just acquired this figure from a friend and really dig him. Only updates are the silver blaster pistol and Reaper's (Overwatch) cape.

That Overwatch cape looks fantastic on Greef—I didn’t even know it existed.

My only recommendation is Bellatrix’s arms from the Harry Potter CMF for Ventress.