Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

45 minutes ago, DrMuttonchops said:

@Mandalorianknight Thanks for the heads-up on the McCree torso, I have one of those somewhere!  I think the only non-purist pieces are a handful of Arealight helmets - one for the Old Republic Trooper, a tan Clone Commando I slapped on a Shoretrooper, and the Mando and Fett ones.  (That's not including the Brickarms blasters, oops.  Another slippery slope)  The official Din Djarin helmet is just... really not great, so I don't feel bad about it, and the Fett jetpack needs the missile on top which I suppose isn't as big.  I wish they had printed Djarin's visor higher and made it in regular pearl silver and added more detail. 
Although I'm not going to lie if someone came out with a good mold for a Ponda Baba, I would buy that thing in a hearbeat.  I've never given up hope that someday they'll throw him in a cantina set...  my first SW RPG character was an Aqualish, and he's the only character I haven't been able to make a minifig of!

True, the official helmet is clearly the wrong color. Hopefully when they do beskar mando, we'll get a silver one with a better visor.

I always thought an MBS cantina would be perfect, there are so many alien designs they could do!

1 hour ago, DrMuttonchops said:

@Daddy_Stardust that hairpiece works GREAT, is it hard plastic or rubberized?  Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it yet!  Your updated Asajj looks great as well.

It's rubberised but very solidly so, it's much harder than minidoll hair for example.

I'd never have even considered that hairpiece based upon the preview image on FST, looks far too much of full-bodied symmetrical cut on their site, it's not until I saw it on a figure that I realised how asymmetrical and effective it was for Cara Dune.

With the new Ahsoka figure coming out, I wanted to ask about paint wearing on the headpiece. Other than just sealing the figure away in a display case, are there any good ways to prevent wear? Also, if I'm trying to get an older figure that already has wear (such as a Shaak Ti), has anyone found any good ways to convincingly replicate the original paint?

On 6/15/2020 at 7:06 PM, DrMuttonchops said:

@V-2929, the Supercommandos look great with the printed arms, and good choice on the light bley hands! @ARC2149Nova I like the figs a lot but I think Mara might benefit from a red hair piece?  I like Luke's hair too, and nice Vong.  @Mandalorianknight your clones are very impressive, you must be very proud. ;)  Seriously though nice job mix and matching the armor, you have some cool combos.  The Santa Fett armor is prob'ly the best choice but it still looks like Santa to me... The Guavian merc armor might work for a non-traditional armor?  Not sure.  Also, what torso does the mando with goggles have?

@LegoCalrissian, I received the Mando and Boba parts from NashVegas!  Looks great.

For anyone interested, here's a comparison between the Lego and Arealight Mando and Boba helmets:

The Arealight Mando helmet is much closer to the right color and has detailing on the "ears" and the top of the helmet, while the Boba just has more flaking paint and better printing.  The arealights both seem a little big at the bottom of the helmet to me but I'm still happy with them.

Here's a comparison between the official and the Arealight jetpacks, the detailing and shaping is much better on the arealight but it also sticks WAY farther out from the back of the minifig.  

Coloring of the helmet is great, but the visor is too high for me, so I don´t like the helmet as a whole piece. I made some quick correction - the visor is now a little bit lower and the bottom curved part is more subtle. I would love if we could get an official helmet like this.

mando.jpg

Edited by Mr. Cube

On 5/28/2020 at 4:26 PM, DrMuttonchops said:

Forgot to add this to my earlier post, sorry.  I also made (from left to right) Commander Gaunt, Wing Commander Rosh, Flight Lieutenant Ada, and Petty Officer Neel from Otaking's TIE Fighter anime short to put in my TIE Interceptor, Bomber, and LN.  Gaunt's torso isn't totally accurate but it's either this or Tarkin's!  I think part 92081 in tan would be better for Gaunt's hair, but I don't have that piece yet.  I gave Gaunt a cherry, since in the dossier it talks about how he always hands underlings fruit.  I settled on light bley hair for Rosh, but I think I might get ahold of a dark bley piece as his hair is darker in the short. There isn't a face with a scar over the eye for Ada, but I think Neel looks pretty decent!  Parts suggestions are always welcome!

pKQa4ej.jpg

In case you don't want to watch the vid, here's the poster he did that displays the characters.

tie_fighter_poster_by_mightyotaking_d8mw

Anybody have thoughts on Ada's hair between these two pieces?

EvYmAan.jpg  YIJcMzv.jpg

Where did you get the legs for Commander Gaunt?

@Darth Bjorn the legs are from the 2016 Ghostbusters minifigs, I erased the printing very poorly and you can sorta see some of the stripes still!  It was my first time doing it and I used a Mr Clean magic eraser which unfortunately also takes the shine off the piece so I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

@Mr. Cube you're totally right on the visor being too high, that looks way better! @Mandalorianknight I was really hoping we'd get a full Beskar Mando with the Razor Crest, but with a season two I hope we get one soon!  Hopefully TLG is better than they were with Rebels on releasing sets.

@marvelBoy123 That's a good suggestion, I think someone in factions did that (Bjorn or you?) and it's better than not having one at all, I should just make one! And I already quoted Mandalorianknight but damn I would LOVE an MBS Chalmun's Cantina; they've been doing a lot of different head molds so I keep holding onto hope (which is what rebellions are built on anyway).

Hello there!

Quarantine is easing up so it is a particularly good time to box up the Leg' collection and see if any of you dudes want to cop. (I'll be hobby'ling back to bikes and biking.)

It was a simple year-long Dark Ages quest: acquire my dream sets and minifig armies and then pass them on. Just not Hoth or the 501st, since most everyone loves and already collects them. So I picked unusual trophies to tinker with, like the basic blue Senate Commando. Anyways there's about 2000 minifigs up for grabs. Set-wise: a 2nd edition Falcon, Republic Dropship, AT-TE, Technic Hailfire Droid, 15+ Vulture Droids, and a handful of other ships. There's also lots of spare parts, including a 2nd unbuilt dropship/at-ot and stickersheet. If you live near or nearby SoCal, USA, I can potentially hook you up with my Akro-Mils units, tables, and a 4' x 10' display (baseplates and a double layer of light/dark bley plates) too.

I'm an odd guy who's happy with graphite rubbings and old pictures. Holding rare things makes me feel guilty. Thought I'd try here first, to help somebody fuse together a supermega-minifig collection, before talking to sellers who'll do the other thing.

Happy Vader's Day by the way :look:,

Caleb Y.C.

So, I wanted to mention a simple update/change, but it's nothing major, so I didn't take pictures, but this head is absolutely perfect for clone troopers. I remember really liking the 2013 "Angry Clone" head, but it's burnt me out. So recently, I've purchased a few Naboo Guards, because I like the figures themselves, and have been swapping out the heads for extras in my collection. Then I realized, "these are the right color and expression for the boys in white" so I began swapping out the heads on a few of my clones (just my movie Phase Is for now). Going forward, I may just buy some to replace my other clone heads.

This one should honestly be used more too.

12 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

So, I wanted to mention a simple update/change, but it's nothing major, so I didn't take pictures, but this head is absolutely perfect for clone troopers. I remember really liking the 2013 "Angry Clone" head, but it's burnt me out. So recently, I've purchased a few Naboo Guards, because I like the figures themselves, and have been swapping out the heads for extras in my collection. Then I realized, "these are the right color and expression for the boys in white" so I began swapping out the heads on a few of my clones (just my movie Phase Is for now). Going forward, I may just buy some to replace my other clone heads.

This one should honestly be used more too.

You're totally right! I've always thought they've had the wrong skin tone, that head works perfectly! Maybe this one for some commandos?

I tend to not make use of the sequel characters (though I am a fan of the resistance officer and trooper minifigs, which have effectively been retconned as just other rebel forces in my headcanon) but had ended up with a number of Poe and Finn minifigs so, after a bit of a play around to find complementary pieces, I now have a unit of what kind of looks like a resistance-styled update of a fleet trooper?

(The lighting stops it from being immediately obvious but that's tan arms to match the shirt on the trooper with the Poe torso)

3235c11ea0f9791992e0968002312b3a.jpg

2 hours ago, V-2929 said:

I tend to not make use of the sequel characters (though I am a fan of the resistance officer and trooper minifigs, which have effectively been retconned as just other rebel forces in my headcanon) but had ended up with a number of Poe and Finn minifigs so, after a bit of a play around to find complementary pieces, I now have a unit of what kind of looks like a resistance-styled update of a fleet trooper?

(The lighting stops it from being immediately obvious but that's tan arms to match the shirt on the trooper with the Poe torso)

This works very well, cool idea! And high five for not including the Disney staff to one's personal SW universe! :D
I have ended up buying quite a bunch of resistance minifigures as well, because they are a good fit for different rebel staff of which we often do not even have any canonical description (e.g. how should a rebel gunner/artillery trooper or driver look like?).

On 6/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, cycbuild said:

Hello there!

Quarantine is easing up so it is a particularly good time to box up the Leg' collection and see if any of you dudes want to cop. (I'll be hobby'ling back to bikes and biking.)

It was a simple year-long Dark Ages quest: acquire my dream sets and minifig armies and then pass them on. Just not Hoth or the 501st, since most everyone loves and already collects them. So I picked unusual trophies to tinker with, like the basic blue Senate Commando. Anyways there's about 2000 minifigs up for grabs. Set-wise: a 2nd edition Falcon, Republic Dropship, AT-TE, Technic Hailfire Droid, 15+ Vulture Droids, and a handful of other ships. There's also lots of spare parts, including a 2nd unbuilt dropship/at-ot and stickersheet. If you live near or nearby SoCal, USA, I can potentially hook you up with my Akro-Mils units, tables, and a 4' x 10' display (baseplates and a double layer of light/dark bley plates) too.

I'm an odd guy who's happy with graphite rubbings and old pictures. Holding rare things makes me feel guilty. Thought I'd try here first, to help somebody fuse together a supermega-minifig collection, before talking to sellers who'll do the other thing.

Happy Vader's Day by the way :look:,

Caleb Y.C.

You may want to try this thread.

Star Wars - From Guerrera and the Onderon Rebels. After the Republic was transformed into the Galactic Empire, Guerrera began to fight the Imperial Armed Forces, organizing a group known as the Partisans. The Guerrilla Partisans group was one of the many cells that later formed the Rebel Alliance.43rm_a-cu9I.jpg 

Does anyone know any good purist ways to make Revan? (without using the super expensive parts of the polybag figure, of course!)

I've got most of the figure down, but I can't find a good head piece for his mask. 

If anyone's interested in the rest of the figure, for Darth Revan I've got:

Black legs with dark red hips, the back of a sith trooper torso, dual-molded black/light bluish grey arms with light grey hands (for his vambraces), a black cape, and black hood. And a red lightsaber, of course.

For Jedi Revan (which as far as I can tell only appears in a black series figure and mobile game, but I thought the concept was cool given Revan's character), I've got:

white legs with reddish brown hips, dengar's torso, white arms, reddish brown hands, a white cape, and white hood, with a purple lightsaber.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

20 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Does anyone know any good purist ways to make Revan? (without using the super expensive parts of the polybag figure, of course!)

I've got most of the figure down, but I can't find a good head piece for his mask. 

There's almost no good mask alternative without it looking ridiculously off. Of the parts I own, from the couple hundred heads I got floating around, only one remotely comes close (imho): Reaper from Overwatch. Maybe, Soldier 76 might work (which I don't have), or Reinhardt for Light Revan, but those are the only options I can think of.

For a bit of a different take, I've found this head at least.

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

There's almost no good mask alternative without it looking ridiculously off. Of the parts I own, from the couple hundred heads I got floating around, only one remotely comes close (imho): Reaper from Overwatch. Maybe, Soldier 76 might work (which I don't have), or Reinhardt for Light Revan, but those are the only options I can think of.

For a bit of a different take, I've found this head at least.

I'll probably bricklink Reinhardt for light revan, then, and use reaper's head for Darth Revan. Thanks for the suggestion!

This is just one more reason we need to see canon Revan in the films, we could get a figure that isn't super expensive!

ARC troopers Echo and Fives - Made with AVFigures decals and CAC helmet

Echo and fives

For anyone who wants to update your Imperials. Lego Stores have the dual molded grey/black legs in the Build-a-Minifigure area. However, due to COVID you can't just grab the parts you want. Thankfully I called my store and asked if they'd put a lot together for me. They said "yes" but that after they loaded it up I'd have to wait 3 days before picking it up. You all might be able to do the same. It's $1 per leg piece, but that's way cheaper than Bricks & Pieces or Bricklink.

800x660.jpg

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

For anyone who wants to update your Imperials. Lego Stores have the dual molded grey/black legs in the Build-a-Minifigure area. However, due to COVID you can't just grab the parts you want. Thankfully I called my store and asked if they'd put a lot together for me. They said "yes" but that after they loaded it up I'd have to wait 3 days before picking it up. You all might be able to do the same. It's $1 per leg piece, but that's way cheaper than Bricks & Pieces or Bricklink.

Thank you for posting this, I'll have to call the store in my area to see if they can do this!

6 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

For anyone who wants to update your Imperials. Lego Stores have the dual molded grey/black legs in the Build-a-Minifigure area.

Any chance they have white and black ones?

Just now, 2maxwell said:

Any chance they have white and black ones?

Not that I saw. They just had the grey and black for now.

Just now, MKJoshA said:

Not that I saw. They just had the grey and black for now.

Damn, those are the ones I want much more. Ok well, thanks I appreciate it.