Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

@V-2929, happy to post them!!  I still haven't purchased any Firestar arms yet, I feel like it's going to be a really slippery slope and since I only have four Shoretroopers I felt like it was okay.  I have my eye on Firestar's Mando Battlepack arm pack though.  I agree on EclipseGrafx filling in some of the proverbial gaps, although there aren't many left!  I'd love some printed Dengar and 4-LOM arms.  I think Bossk would have to be dual-molded and Zuckuss doesn't really need them.

I noticed in the photos of the Mando arms that it looks like the printing is raised slightly, but while I can see the raise under a loupe it's very difficult to tell by eye.  They're my first printed arms so I'm not sure if that's standard, but these are all for display only so I don't care!  They look great. 

@LegoCalrissian Nashvegas Bricks was out of the Boba jetpacks for quite a while but I just checked and he has a pack with an arealight helmet, jetpack, and vambraces so I'm picking that up, I figure I can use the vambraces and helmet somewhere else!  Thanks for reminding me to check again.  I'm seeing if Nashvegas Bricks will combine shipping with an arealight Silver Ranger helmet for my Mando too, the official helmet is so dark.

6 hours ago, LegoCalrissian said:

I just compared both the Arealight and CAC jetpacks to the LEGO one and they all look like the same thickness. All three figs stood at the same height.

Awesome, thanks. Maybe I was just unlucky with the particular backpacks that I bought (CAC ARC trooper pack and Snowtrooper backpack IIRC). I'll give them another shot.

Finally worked out an Imperial Super Commando look that I'm happy with. I wasn't a big fan of the proper legs of the prototype Boba; the torso is so much more detailed that the legs just look a bit lacking in comparison. This is a mix of wanting the figures to look a bit more Stormtrooper-like, and a cost compromise as I didn't want to spend £15 per figure that seems to be the going rate in Europe now to build a squad of five (the default squad size I work to for troopers) when I only had two already. Turns out that, at least yesterday in the UK, the helmet, torso and jetpack can be picked up on bricklink for little more than a third of the cost of the complete figure.

Anyway, helmet, torso and jetpack from sw0631, the standard Stormtrooper legs switched to white hips rather than black, Firestar's custom Snowtrooper arms, and the original white hands switched out for light bluish grey to continue the colour scheme from the torso and helmet prints.

34b06cd27174045a462b804c0293a6d4.jpg

@V-2929 those figures look awesome. The snowtrooper arms look really good with the prototype torso.

I've got a small mandalorian army here, I tried to get different clans using the recent battlepack and the death watch and mauldalorians.

IMG_6261.jpg

Here you can see my red mandalorian clan, composed of 9 mandalorians. There are some christmasy elements on the torso, but I think it looks fine unless you look to closely at it. I found what appear to be legitimate test molds for the medium length blaster, as they look identical and have the lego logo. You can also see the smaller orange and green clans, each composed of 3 mandos. I tried to make a purple mandalorian using the azure helmet from the battlepack, but it doesn't look that good.

IMG_6262.jpg

The blue mandalorian clan is a mirror of the red one, except I need to bricklink a better torso for the commander. You can also see the smaller clans for the grey/orange mandalorians and the azure mandalorians. I had a few parts left over and made two clanless bounty hunter type mandalorians.

IMG_6263.jpg

A few more customs. L-R are Ezra from the later seasons of rebels, Kallus from season 4 of rebels, "rebel friend" from the old lego videogames, a rex I made because I didn't want to shell out $50 for him, and the clone wars maul using the ultron legs.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

On 5/28/2020 at 7:09 AM, DrMuttonchops said:

@Keagantuan, I picked up some of the Shoretrooper arms and they look awesome!  The EclipseGrafx site makes the blue look really bright, but it matches Lego's sand blue perfectly, and I also picked up some E-22 blasters.  From left to right, standard trooper, captain, and squad leader.

They look great! I really like the Sith Trooper ones they have too. Definitely a slippery slope though.

Some figures from the New Jedi Order series.

49979670837_eb5a9f2cb9_c.jpg

The Skywalkers (Luke, Mara Jade, Ben), don't know why I gave Luke long hair, but I kinda like it. :laugh:

49979413926_479a31458f_c.jpg

Jaina Solo. The blue pilots from Rogue One provide the darkest suits we've seen from Lego. So I compromised and used it for Jaina. Black is of course the accurate color, but what're ya gonna do?

49979670797_d0af75eef3_c.jpg

New Republic Special Forces. Also doubles as Aliiance Special Forces, the gold and black uniforms from Legends. They use BrickArms M41A (from Alien)

49978891388_5f58e9ff7c_c.jpg

New Republic Troopers. The Legends troopers retained the Alderaanian Guard uniforms, and I gave them a bit more of a tactical look. Probably should give them tan pants (or dark tan), so I may revisit them in the future.

49978891318_06035e8b1c_c.jpg

Imperial Remnant Stormtroopers. Fused the 2014 era figures with the 2008-2012 helmets and one 2012 torso. It makes them different from the standard Stormies without going overboard.

49979670732_2f8bbc697c_c.jpg

Nom Anor. Might revisit him in the future. I don't have the spikes in tan, but other than that I like how he turned out. The Gundabad Orcs from the Hobbit make good Yuuzhan Vong, so I'm thinking about making Vong soldiers in the future.

That's all for now. Hope you guys enjoy.

Edited by ARC2149Nova
Image related learning curve

11 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

New Republic Troopers. The Legends troopers retained the Alderaanian Guard uniforms, and I gave them a bit more of a tactical look. Probably should give them tan pants (or dark tan), so I may revisit them in the future.

The Rogue One trooper legs (dark tan, reddish brown, or dark bluish grey) are a pretty good with anything look when they're in line with your colour scheme, and swapping the hips out if the torso already has a belt doesn't tend to spoil the look.

38 minutes ago, V-2929 said:

The Rogue One trooper legs (dark tan, reddish brown, or dark bluish grey) are a pretty good with anything look when they're in line with your colour scheme, and swapping the hips out if the torso already has a belt doesn't tend to spoil the look.

I'll try and bricklink some then. I just moc'ed another one with the training Luke legs (from Yoda's Hut), so I am finding options. But, I do like those legs, so maybe future troops will just mix it up a bit.

Gotta love the way you composed Mara Jade! How is it done, especially where comes the hair and face piece? @ARC2149Nova 

- Samppu

Edited by Samppu

4 hours ago, Samppu said:

Gotta love the way you composed Mara Jade! How is it done, especially where comes the hair and face piece? @ARC2149Nova 

I think it's black widow's from the set based on her now-delayed solo film.

@ARC2149Nova Is her torso a sticker or a real print? It looks too accurate to be a print from something else to me, but everything else there is purist.

6 hours ago, Samppu said:

- Samppu

Thanks! The hair is the fairly common hair used on Black Canary, Ellie Sattler, and Black Widow in Dark Orange. The head is Chell's I think.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think it's black widow's from the set based on her now-delayed solo film.

@ARC2149Nova Is her torso a sticker or a real print? It looks too accurate to be a print from something else to me, but everything else there is purist.

Her torso is Magpie's from TLBM. :classic:

Edit: Her legs are the Inferno Squad legs.

Edited by ARC2149Nova

1 minute ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Thanks! The hair is the fairly common hair used on Black Canary, Ellie Sattler, and Black Widow in Dark Orange. The head is Chell's I think.

Her torso is Magpie's from TLBM. :classic:

That fits really well, I'm gonna have to bricklink the piece for my mara jade.

That's a great figure @cycbuild, and it honestly looks like the prints were made for that figure, it's crazy that Mercy's legs and an old republic jedi torso look that good together, but I have to ask, is she in front of the default windows XP wallpaper? :laugh:

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That's a great figure @cycbuild, and it honestly looks like the prints were made for that figure, it's crazy that Mercy's legs and an old republic jedi torso look that good together, but I have to ask, is she in front of the default windows XP wallpaper? :laugh:

Thanks man! :cry3::drool:

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

obviously she's standing in the battle of naboo!

15 hours ago, Anatoliy said:

Мои понравились Вам?

One of the rules of this site is that we ask you to use English when posting. Please do so, thank you.

@V-2929, the Supercommandos look great with the printed arms, and good choice on the light bley hands! @ARC2149Nova I like the figs a lot but I think Mara might benefit from a red hair piece?  I like Luke's hair too, and nice Vong.  @Mandalorianknight your clones are very impressive, you must be very proud. ;)  Seriously though nice job mix and matching the armor, you have some cool combos.  The Santa Fett armor is prob'ly the best choice but it still looks like Santa to me... The Guavian merc armor might work for a non-traditional armor?  Not sure.  Also, what torso does the mando with goggles have?

@LegoCalrissian, I received the Mando and Boba parts from NashVegas!  Looks great.

r2Eea0a.jpg

For anyone interested, here's a comparison between the Lego and Arealight Mando and Boba helmets:

Rwi7lKG.jpg

3I80eiw.jpg

The Arealight Mando helmet is much closer to the right color and has detailing on the "ears" and the top of the helmet, while the Boba just has more flaking paint and better printing.  The arealights both seem a little big at the bottom of the helmet to me but I'm still happy with them.

Here's a comparison between the official and the Arealight jetpacks, the detailing and shaping is much better on the arealight but it also sticks WAY farther out from the back of the minifig.  

k3MCaCr.jpg

2 hours ago, DrMuttonchops said:

@Mandalorianknight your clones are very impressive, you must be very proud. ;)  Seriously though nice job mix and matching the armor, you have some cool combos.  The Santa Fett armor is prob'ly the best choice but it still looks like Santa to me... The Guavian merc armor might work for a non-traditional armor?  Not sure.  Also, what torso does the mando with goggles have?

Thank you! The guavian torso would definitely work better for a non-traditional armor, although I might just buy more pauldrons to cover up the santa elements. The Mando with Goggles uses the back side of McCree's torso from overwatch, with the arms swapped out for pearl gold ones.

Those arealight upgrades to the mandos look great, I try to only buy purist lego, but that Din Djarin helmet is tempting.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

3 hours ago, DrMuttonchops said:

@ARC2149Nova I like the figs a lot but I think Mara might benefit from a red hair piece? 

I actually prefer the orange(-ish) color. She does have a red hair in the SW universe, but ginger hair in real life is not actually deep red usually, and also in many comic representations Mara's hair is actually almost perfect match to the one above. Of course, in the Lego world it is not only about the perfect match between the reality and the Lego world but also about the correct relations between the in-universe elements. In this case it means that even if the color above is a realistic tone, it does not look so "red" compared to the other Lego hair pieces as it would in real life, because the Lego hair colors in general are much stronger and varying than the ones in real life. So yes, deep red color works very well, too. It depends if you seek a perfect match to the real life or if you want to make it better stand out among the other figures, I would say.

So here are some updates to Mon Mothma, Cara Dune and Asajj Ventress.

Although the new skirt piece matches Mon Mothma's old torso very well, I didn't like the disconnect between the creases of the gown, so felt it needed a belt to blend the torso and skirt piece more smoothly. I know she never wore one, but I'm going with a bit of artistic licence here, besides I'm sure all women agree it's important to always enhance your waist line in any outfit haha. This is a Si-Dan tactical belt that I chopped off the gear clips and filed them down to be completely smooth, all that's left is a lovely regal belt for the senator (it's got some nice moulding to it in person that I'm not sure is too visible on the photo).

Cara Dune finally has a hairpiece I'm pretty damn satisfied with thanks to a custom available from Firestar Toys (thanks to an instagram picture I saw of someone using the same hair piece for the Second Sister and credited where the hair came from - https://www.firestartoys.com/Shop/Minifigure-Parts/Minifigure-Female-Hair/47175-Minifigure-Hair-Short-with-Sweeping-Fringe.html).

And Ventress with new arms and skirt piece.

50016577223_b1480941d0_c.jpg

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

Loving the Mon Mothma update and Ventress as well.

(Ventress has the Spooky Boy arms and Narcissa Malfoy's dress, for anyone curious)

@Daddy_Stardust that hairpiece works GREAT, is it hard plastic or rubberized?  Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it yet!  Your updated Asajj looks great as well.

@Samppu Mara's hair is kinda close to that piece in my old By the Emperor's Hand comic, but pretty much all of my old EU covers are either a bright or deep red, while my newer essential guide to characters has it as a pretty deep orange!  With so many different representations, you're right that it's much personal preference! :)

@Mandalorianknight Thanks for the heads-up on the McCree torso, I have one of those somewhere!  I think the only non-purist pieces are a handful of Arealight helmets - one for the Old Republic Trooper, a tan Clone Commando I slapped on a Shoretrooper, and the Mando and Fett ones.  (That's not including the Brickarms blasters, oops.  Another slippery slope)  The official Din Djarin helmet is just... really not great, so I don't feel bad about it, and the Fett jetpack needs the missile on top which I suppose isn't as big.  I wish they had printed Djarin's visor higher and made it in regular pearl silver and added more detail. 
Although I'm not going to lie if someone came out with a good mold for a Ponda Baba, I would buy that thing in a hearbeat.  I've never given up hope that someday they'll throw him in a cantina set...  my first SW RPG character was an Aqualish, and he's the only character I haven't been able to make a minifig of!