Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

19 minutes ago, Robianco said:

Oh how I chuckled when I read this. Such innocence. Such naivety.

You'll be replacing every conceivable arm in your SW collection before you know it.

Every. Single. One. 

And your figures will look all the better for it. :)

13 minutes ago, Tidy said:

^^^ he is the reason i went head (arm) first down the rabbit hole.

I know I'll succumb to its inevitable grasp. I just need to pace myself and watch my bank account haha

On the plus side, buying the new clone arms replaced a few damaged arms from second hand sets/purchases

So my first set of 10x Stormtrooper arms came in, and...wow. I honestly figured they didn't add enough detail to make it worthwhile, but wow....Now I have to arm the rest of them, so 24 left to go. The last of my black imperial crew arms also came in for my display, though I still need to buy 2 more sets for my Purge troopers. Also for those wondering, I decided to go with DT legs and torso for my current WIP of the purge troopers. Sometime after my next paycheck, I'll look into the helmets and pauldrons.

Edited by That Brick King

*drops in*

Hello there! I’ve recently got back into lego star wars and I thought this place was something of interest. I may not be able to do much (due to my devices forcing me to compress my photos to post on this website), but I would like to contribute something to this thread (with possible part combos for certain characters or anything else pertaining to updating star wars figs). Thank you, and have a good day!

1 hour ago, Captain-DeadPool said:

*drops in*

Hello there! I’ve recently got back into lego star wars and I thought this place was something of interest. I may not be able to do much (due to my devices forcing me to compress my photos to post on this website), but I would like to contribute something to this thread (with possible part combos for certain characters or anything else pertaining to updating star wars figs). Thank you, and have a good day!

Hey there! I would recommend using Flickr, a free image hosting site, so you will not be limited to your device :)

Hope I'm not interfering with your discussion, and also hopefully I won't get dragged down that expensive rabbit hole with you guys *gazes down at wallet* :head_back:

Anyways I would like to share with you some of my recent customs, I kinda found a piece of red cloth that is similar to what TLG uses nowdays for the spongy cape! (stripped a mousepad)

So I decided to make some things with it:

Imperial Royal Guards - added waistcape and another cape on the front, now more movie accurate (I think)

Custom LEGO royal guards

Custom LEGO royal guards

Darth Maul's Mandalorian Supercommandos - added capes, I think it enhances the look of them, also painted symbols on the capes

Custom mandalorian supercommandosCustom mandalorian supercommandos

And finally updated BARC troopers, added the small pauldron on the side, looks a lot better now

Custom LEGO BARC troopersCustom LEGO BARC troopers

I would like to know what you all think of these mods. :sweet:

18 hours ago, Reaper said:

I would like to know what you all think of these mods. 

I love it, the fabric works really well! Great update to the Royal Guard and the BARCs.  Did you freehand the design on the Mandalorian capes? If so you did a spectacular job! 

3 hours ago, DrMuttonchops said:

I love it, the fabric works really well! Great update to the Royal Guard and the BARCs.  Did you freehand the design on the Mandalorian capes? If so you did a spectacular job! 

Thanks! :sweet:

And yeah I did! Although I kinda took inspiration from Boba's cape.

Mousepad cloth, huh? Great job, they look great! The royal guards definitely look accurate.

To combine sw0505 and sw1007 and some collection MF's arms, here I updated my scout as below, hope you enjoy.

Spoiler

cdc058310a55b319bceda3974da98226cffc173a

8b279999a9014c0814100947047b02087bf4f428

Trying some pic platform, if you could not see, please kindly let me to know, then I will change back to Flickr...

22 hours ago, JoeChu1980 said:

Hide contents

Trying some pic platform, if you could not see, please kindly let me to know, then I will change back to Flickr...

Shows up for me on mobile, Joe.  Looks great with the new helmet, although I still wish they'd give us dual molded printed legs.

Lego Han Solo ANH Leg UpgradeLego Luke X-Wing Pilot Boot Upgrade

Did a little updating with vinyl spray paint. It's use to refinish dashboards and other plastics so when it's cured it actually bites into the plastic to becomes a permanent finish rather than just paint that sits on top of it. Did Han ANH, Luke Pilot and Endor Han yesterday and they've come out really well. I know this is a little step away from purist customs or printed additions to figures but I'm happy with how they've turned out. Any imperfections shown on the images are heightened due to the size enlargement from an actual figure but you can't really see them on the figure in hand.

7 hours ago, Robianco said:

Did a little updating with vinyl spray paint. 

Looks pretty solid, man.  How much does it add to the thickness of the parts?  I'm guessing as an AFOL you aren't too worried about playwear and it scratching off but it looks like a good coat.  Did you tape off the whole leg to do the bloodstripe?  The imperfections are not super noticeable in the pictures!

12 hours ago, DrMuttonchops said:

Looks pretty solid, man.  How much does it add to the thickness of the parts?  I'm guessing as an AFOL you aren't too worried about playwear and it scratching off but it looks like a good coat.  Did you tape off the whole leg to do the bloodstripe?  The imperfections are not super noticeable in the pictures!

It doesn't add any thickness to the parts when spraying the black. I think it's down to the type of paint it is and how it reacts to the plastic. It doesn't pool on the surface like some paint does so even in places where I felt it needed more paint like on the 'toes' of the Rebel Pilot it just 'sank in' to the plastic and was perfectly smooth.

The red stripe has a very tiny thickness to it as that sits on top of the plastic (regular spray paint in a can). I think if I was to redo that one I'd use my airbrush as it would be a much finer coverage.

My take on Benthic 'Two Tubes' - the Ten Numb head and Ultron neck brace was a combo used by someone earlier in this thread I believe.  

BenthicTwoTubes

43 minutes ago, ThousandMoon said:

My take on Benthic 'Two Tubes' - the Ten Numb head and Ultron neck brace was a combo used by someone earlier in this thread I believe.  

*snip*

That’s awesome! I like the usage of luke’s hoth jacket reversed, as well as the combo of ten numb and ultron’s neck piece. While I am here, would anyone know of a good parts combo for a purist Darth Nihl? I have wanted to make one to go with my Darth Krayt, but I am stumped on what pieces to use. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

17 hours ago, ThousandMoon said:

That's excellent, where are the printed hands from?

1 hour ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

That's excellent, where are the printed hands from?

The hands are from eclipseGRAFX (www.eclipsebricks.com) - based in the US. I ordered several pairs for some of the Cloud-Riders (including Enfys Nest!) - they offer a nice finishing touch imo - just about worth the shipping (to the UK)!

The trench coat is from CapeMadness, the Loincloth from Arealight and the rifle from BrickForge (in dark brown)

The pearl dark grey arms add a lot as well I think

Edited by ThousandMoon

8 hours ago, ThousandMoon said:

The hands are from eclipseGRAFX (www.eclipsebricks.com) - based in the US. I ordered several pairs for some of the Cloud-Riders (including Enfys Nest!) - they offer a nice finishing touch imo - just about worth the shipping (to the UK)!

The trench coat is from CapeMadness, the Loincloth from Arealight and the rifle from BrickForge (in dark brown)

The pearl dark grey arms add a lot as well I think

Awesome, thanks for the link!!!

On 6/10/2019 at 10:44 AM, Robianco said:

They're very worth it. I've updated almost every arm I can with the FS arms. 50 Stormtroopers, 8 Sandtroopers, around 30 X-Wing Pilots, 13 Blue Squadron Pilots, Imperial Technicians, Death Star Gunners, AT-ST Drivers, Greedo etc

I think they make a bid difference to a figure. But then again I've now got 16 Snowspeeder pilots with the UCS arms, 8 TIE Pilots with the UCS arms and all my Bespin Guards have the printed arms from the original version. Add accurate moulded weapons to that too.

I think figures can feel a little bare without them now.

It's a rabbit hole I'm happily deep into.

Time for your rabbit hole to get a lot deeper Robianco... you know you're going to have to do it! :devil_laugh:

http://www.eclipsebricks.com/printed-hands/

insert-armored_gloves__06307.1502350669.

I just had an idea pop into my head for a possible purist darth sion mini figure after looking at the official Corvus glaive mini figure. Here’s the combo for anyone wanting to try it out. Enjoy!:

Head: Corvus glaive’s head from the 76103 Corvus glaive thresher attack set

Torso: The classic alien’s torso from the mini-figures series 6 with a black right hand and a light grey left hand

Legs: The wicked witch’s legs from the lego dimensions wizard of Oz pack (or alternatively, you could use darth vader’s legs from any of the recent sets he has appeared in)

On 7/23/2019 at 1:33 AM, Captain-DeadPool said:

Torso: The classic alien’s torso from the mini-figures series 6 with a black right hand and a light grey left hand

I'd use the Gargoyle torso from Series 14.

2 hours ago, Swamp said:

I'd use the Gargoyle torso from Series 14.

Say, that works much better, especially with the cracked details on the arm prints. Thanks for the suggestion!

8 hours ago, Captain-DeadPool said:

Say, that works much better, especially with the cracked details on the arm prints. Thanks for the suggestion!

You're welcome!

Personally, I also used that old Vader head, the grey one. It's got those old-style eyes though, with no pupils, so not sure if that'll work for you.

57 minutes ago, Swamp said:

You're welcome!

Personally, I also used that old Vader head, the grey one. It's got those old-style eyes though, with no pupils, so not sure if that'll work for you.

The old style pupils do give him the blank and dark look his eyes normally have, especially since his right eye is completely blank. On the subject of sith, what would torso would look good on a purist Nihl? I think proxima midnight’s head combined with harry potter’s hair piece from the upcoming sets (which is lloyd’s hair piece from the lego ninjago movie in black) could work, but I am a bit stumped on what torso to use. 

Edited by Captain-DeadPool
Forgot to add a few needed words

Hi guys, late to this thread (and apologies if already asked/covered), but who does the best custom Pad Printing out there... UK preferably?

cheers