Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

11 hours ago, Robianco said:

Looking forward to getting back off holiday to photograph my Red Squadron again with Garven Dreis leading things up.

Someone’s been on Firestar’s case again ;)

On 10/22/2016 at 4:15 AM, atlas said:

Another thing i updated - I was looking at the padme figure from 75021 and because I am always trying to figure out how to make more of her many costumes from the films in minifig form (because there are so few officially made and no apparent market for them), I realised that it might be possible to rub out the 'damaged' version that comes out in the official set and end up with the actual costume, which looks like this: 

Padme+17.jpg

so I got to work and here is the finished product. 

6sOVJWm.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it, but as you can see there is some evidence of the method I used to achieve the look which is disappointing. It was looking really good but then I got impatient and rushed some of the fine work where lines meet, so it's not perfect. But i like it. Next i'm thinking of adding the arm bracelets onto each arm with some reflective paint and perhaps think about her elaborate cape thing and how to make that, But happy for now. 

Hey Atlas, what method did you use to remove the "damaged" printing from Padme? I'm thinking about doing this myself.

7 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

I think those new helmets look just as daft as the next man, but after watching ANH yesterday, I paid special attention to the helmets. They do actually look very similar to the new mold. I think we've all gotten use to the old helmets - on screen they actually look much to big and really round!

Absolutely!

My friend just showed me their Black Series Jaina Solo who has a Rebel Pilot helmet. 

That helmet is wonking. Proportional to the Lego update.

I don't know if Lego went a tinge too big but the current helmets weve had for almost two decades are by no means close to accurate. 

Edited by Forresto

10 hours ago, ThousandMoon said:

Someone’s been on Firestar’s case again ;)

Maybe just a little chat with a friend. :)

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

Maybe just a little chat with a friend. :)

I notice there's a jaina solo custom minifig, complete with custom helmet printing, so I don't know if this is a sign of things to come (in which case I should hold off ordering the new pilot heads) or if it's just a one off thing for you that they used to test the process?

i'm also excited to see it. The lack of Red Leader and Red 8 helmets is sad.

1 minute ago, Robianco said:

*huh*

Nicee, how much will they cost?

Just now, TWP said:

*huh*

Nicee, how much will they cost?

I must admit I'm not sure. The issue I think might be the availability of the olive green helmet which is the closest Lego has to Garven's helmet. And yes... I've just noticed that Puck is wearing the wrong bloody uniform and is in Hoth gear. Time to head over to BL!! When Merrick gets released in the AC I'll take stock of Green, Grey and Blue Squadron pilots I have and maybe get a full family photo.

And for anyone hesitant about the Stormtrooper arms I'm glad to report they look great. As do the rebel pilot arms, Imperial technician arms and the black Imperial arms with white insignia. Looking at the ROTJ footage there are black suited Imps with the white insignia.. not sure if they're pilots, technicians, troopers or what... but they're there and these arms look great on them.

14 minutes ago, Robianco said:

And for anyone hesitant about the Stormtrooper arms I'm glad to report they look great. As do the rebel pilot arms, Imperial technician arms and the black Imperial arms with white insignia. Looking at the ROTJ footage there are black suited Imps with the white insignia.. not sure if they're pilots, technicians, troopers or what... but they're there and these arms look great on them.

If people want to know what figures to use the arms with insignia on them, it's generally the ones with the crew jumpsuits and not the Guards and pilots in dress uniform. People can get references on this site, mainly from the officer detachment:

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRLbydetachment

That looks so frickin good!!! Good work man...

Although they do look like they’re attending a rebel pilot seiminar and the new helmet has just been unveiled :))

4 minutes ago, ThousandMoon said:

Although they do look like they’re attending a rebel pilot seiminar and the new helmet has just been unveiled :))

That's exactly what's happening. It's the only chance I managed to get them all in the same place at once! ;)

23 minutes ago, TheGeneralMoe said:

If people want to know what figures to use the arms with insignia on them, it's generally the ones with the crew jumpsuits and not the Guards and pilots in dress uniform. People can get references on this site, mainly from the officer detachment:

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRLbydetachment

Looks like an Imperial Deck Officer then. I'll be picking up more arms for those along with another pair of Scanning Technician arms for the pair that scan the Falcon.

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

BATTLE OF YAVIN REBEL PILOTS

Aren't the three on the right (at least the two most-right on the back row) technically gold squadron and not red squadron?

Front Row - Red Leader, Red 3, Red 5, Red 10, Red 12, Gold 2

Back Row - Red 2, Red 4, Red 6, Red 11, Gold Leader, Gold 5?

Red 7 and Red 10 share the same helmet (I'd recommend getting the new "cocky moustache" face for harb binli). Red 9 is very similar to the T16 skyhopper helmet (perhaps it should be white not grey, but the decals are identical) which I presume you have as you've got the face there between Red 10/Red 12. Red 8 Zal Dinnes... you need to ask for that one to be made next :D I'd buy all three (Red Leader, Gold 5 and that).

Edited by fleetwoodd

41 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Nice pilots, will those helmets be available for sale?

I think they're going up for sale in the relatively near future.

how easy is it to remove lego printing? I've acquired a few of the "Will Scotian" helmet from the UCS Snowspeeder and I'd like to remove the grey stripe so that i'm left with only the red firebirds as I think it'd match the generic blue ones better that way.

Just now, fleetwoodd said:

Aren't the three on the right (at least the two most-right on the back row) technically gold squadron and not blue squadron?

Front Row - Red Leader, Red 3, Red 5, Red 10, Red 12, Gold 2

Back Row - Red 2, Red 4, Red 6, Red 11, Gold Leader, Gold 5?

Red 7 and Red 10 share the same helmet (I'd recommend getting the new "cocky moustache" face for harb binli). Red 9 is very similar to the T16 skyhopper helmet (perhaps it should be white not grey, but the decals are identical) which I presume you have as you've got the face there between Red 10/Red 12. Red 8 Zal Dinnes... you need to ask for that one to be made next :D I'd buy all three (Red Leader, Gold 5 and that).

Ha... I've actually just made a very similar post over on FB about that. Naytaan does seem to be using the T-16 helmet that Dorovio Bold wore although his has a red stripe down the middle. I've seen another promo photo with a different pilot with that same helmet though. I think I'll spray a red stripe down the helmet and get another R11 helmet to give me 11 of the 12 Red Squadron. I don't know if there's even reference for the last one is there? Or even any of the other Gold Squadron pilots other than the three on my photo? 

Rogue One really set the cat amongst the pigeons with these helmets. I've seen Krail's helmet on someone else, a couple of pilots with a helmet very similar to Naeco/Janson's helmet... lots of variations. And then we have to get the ROTJ pilots finalised with Grizz Frix etc

3 minutes ago, fleetwoodd said:

how easy is it to remove lego printing? I've acquired a few of the "Will Scotian" helmet from the UCS Snowspeeder and I'd like to remove the grey stripe so that i'm left with only the red firebirds as I think it'd match the generic blue ones better that way.

It's very easy. Put a bit of masking tape over the print you want to keep to protect it and then get some Brasso polish and gently rub it over the areas you want to remove. Don't rub too hard as I can dull the plastic where you've rubbed.

2 minutes ago, Robianco said:

Ha... I've actually just made a very similar post over on FB about that. Naytaan does seem to be using the T-16 helmet that Dorovio Bold wore although his has a red stripe down the middle. I've seen another promo photo with a different pilot with that same helmet though. I think I'll spray a red stripe down the helmet and get another R11 helmet to give me 11 of the 12 Red Squadron. I don't know if there's even reference for the last one is there? Or even any of the other Gold Squadron pilots other than the three on my photo? 

Rogue One really set the cat amongst the pigeons with these helmets. I've seen Krail's helmet on someone else, a couple of pilots with a helmet very similar to Naeco/Janson's helmet... lots of variations. And then we have to get the ROTJ pilots finalised with Grizz Frix etc

Yeah, I think they messed up a few of the promo shots, or changed roles of some people along the way. The wookieepedia page for Ralo Surrel has him holding Bigg's Helmet! He also has a slightly different helmet (as "Red 11") than the generally accepted Red 12/Wes Janson at Hoth one.

The Rogue One Visual Guide is your friend! Someone made this for Red 8 - https://imgur.com/3kMIn0w - which matches the source material pretty much perfectly. That'd complete Red Squadron.

For Gold Squadron... Gold three (Evaan Verlaine) is listed as having the same helmet as Anton Merrick. Gold Six (Brace Mark) is in there along with Gold 7 (Gazdo Woolcob), but they have mixed grey/white helmets which might be hard to reproduce. Gold 8 (Datchi Creel) has plain red firebirds but there's no frontal/top down image available and he apparently isn't seen inside a cockpit in the movie. Gold 9 (Wona Goban) is the U wing/Y wing pilot from the two big Rogue One sets. Gold 4 will apparently forever be a mystery.

17 minutes ago, Robianco said:

It's very easy. Put a bit of masking tape over the print you want to keep to protect it and then get some Brasso polish and gently rub it over the areas you want to remove. Don't rub too hard as I can dull the plastic where you've rubbed.

I think I'll give this a go - it's pretty low effort resources-wise. I'm a bit scared to go the extra step and start spraypainting, but this seems like an easy start into the world of customising.

16 minutes ago, fleetwoodd said:

I think I'll give this a go - it's pretty low effort resources-wise. I'm a bit scared to go the extra step and start spraypainting, but this seems like an easy start into the world of customising.

Or you could use a rubber (pencil eraser to those across the pond), you'll need to put more umph in but it does get results and its less likely to dull the plastic.

On 06/06/2018 at 11:08 AM, ShadowStrike said:

Hey Atlas, what method did you use to remove the "damaged" printing from Padme? I'm thinking about doing this myself.

I used a pencil eraser and put clear tape over the lines I wanted to protect.

2 hours ago, fleetwoodd said:

Yeah, I think they messed up a few of the promo shots, or changed roles of some people along the way. The wookieepedia page for Ralo Surrel has him holding Bigg's Helmet! He also has a slightly different helmet (as "Red 11") than the generally accepted Red 12/Wes Janson at Hoth one.

The Rogue One Visual Guide is your friend! Someone made this for Red 8 - https://imgur.com/3kMIn0w - which matches the source material pretty much perfectly. That'd complete Red Squadron.

For Gold Squadron... Gold three (Evaan Verlaine) is listed as having the same helmet as Anton Merrick. Gold Six (Brace Mark) is in there along with Gold 7 (Gazdo Woolcob), but they have mixed grey/white helmets which might be hard to reproduce. Gold 8 (Datchi Creel) has plain red firebirds but there's no frontal/top down image available and he apparently isn't seen inside a cockpit in the movie. Gold 9 (Wona Goban) is the U wing/Y wing pilot from the two big Rogue One sets. Gold 4 will apparently forever be a mystery.

In Legends, Gold Four was Lieutenant Lepira who flew with the astromech R5-F7 (a minifigure of which exists). Lepira used a generic red firebirds helmet. If you want to complete Gold Squadron, I think it's fair to use Lepira as he did appear in A New Hope in the briefing scene and has been identified by photograph. He has not yet been made officially canon, although his story in Legends in no way interferes with the timeline of the new canon, so I see no reason as to why he couldn't be considered Gold Four. The minifigure would be relatively simple to put together.

Edit: just done some research - Lepira's only real backstory is that he learnt to fly in the Anoat system. Rather ironic is that the Anoat system is not only identified as being canonical, it's still identified as the star system in The Empire Strikes Back in which the Falcon is ejected in the Avenger's rubbish disposal and the Slave I slowly begins to give chase to it!

Edited by Renown

Yeah... Looking at things a mod to the T-16 helmet to give it a red stripe down the middle will give me Red Nine - Nozzo Naytaan. I think Red Seven uses a standard blue firebird emblem. That means we just need Red Eight which is Zal Dinnes to complete Red Squadron for Yavin IV.

Lepira uses a standard red Firebird emblem helmet as you say, so that should be straightforward. Looks like I'll be picking up several more figures from BL. Pick up two Merrick figures so we can get Gold Three. Looks like things will be much more complete in a few months.

So with all this discussion on Rebel Pilots, what are the most accurate helmets to use for purist creations? I put a list together myself for Blue, Red, Gold, and Rogue Squadrons.

[ --- Scarif --- ]
Blue One - Antoc Merrick (2018 set)
Blue Three - Jaldine Gerams (2007 Dutch Vander)
Blue Four - Barion Raner (Y-Wing Microfighter Pilot)
Blue Five - Farns Monsbee (2006 Wedge Antilles)
Blue Six - Vangos Grek (Jek Porkins)
Blue Eight - Heff Tobler (NA)
Blue Eleven - Larem Joma (NA)
Blue Twelve - Parill Rita (U-Wing Microfighter Pilot)
[Blue Pilot] (Wes Janson)

[ --- Yavin --- ]
Red One - Garvin Dreis (NA)
Red Two - Wedge Antilles (2016 set)
Red Three - Biggs Darklighter (1999 set)
Red Four - John D. Brandon (Sandspeeder Pilot)
Red Five - Luke Skywalker (2012 set)
Red Six - Jek Porkins (2012 set)
Red Seven - Harb Binli (Dak Ralter)
Red Eight - Zal Dinnes (NA)
Red Nine - Nozo Naytan (NA)
Red Ten - Theron Nett (X-Wing Microfighter Pilot)
Red Eleven - Wenton Chan (Dak Ralter)
Red Twelve - Puck Naeco (Wes Janson)

[ --- Scarif and Yavin  --- ]
Gold One - Dutch Vander (2018 set)
Gold Two - Dex Tiree (Jek Porkins)
Gold Nine - Wona Goban (Y-Wing Pilot)

[ ---- Hoth --- ]
Rogue One - Luke Skywalker and Dak Ralter (2014 set)
Rogue Two - Zev Snesca (2017 set) and Kit Valent (2010 Zev Snesca)
Rogue Three - Wedge Antilles and Wes Janson (2016 set)
Rogue Four - Derek Klivian (2007 Dutch Vander) and Kesin Ommis (Snowspeeder Microfighter Pilot)
Rogue ? - Will Scotian (2017 set)

[ --- Miscellanous --- ]
Dorovio Bold (Snowspeeder Microfighter Pilot)
Dosmit Ræh (Sandspeeder Pilot)

Dorovio Bold is the T-16 Pilot.

Tiree has the red firebird emblem with black shadows so anything with the red emblem really rather than Porkins.

Nozzo Naytaan is also the T-16 helmet. Identical to Dorovio but she’ll have a female pilot head.

Edited by Robianco

I saw your oilot's picture today, these helmet are fantastic.

I can't wait to get them (along with blue squadron and stormtroopers arms), even though i'm a bit sad red leader's helmet won't be olive green