Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

22 hours ago, TWP said:

There have already been in-hand pictures posted by leakers (elepha******** on flickr, if you want a link I'll pm you)

On 20/05/2018 at 6:52 AM, TWP said:

Btw, if you want chin straps for the new pilots, you could use the reverse side of the skyhopper pilot and for luke the head from the snowspeeder with visor up. of course then you won't have a mustache for biggs... :(

Not sure if this will see me ostracised or not but... I'm in China and a friend of mine just handed me Luke and Biggs today.

The visor sits perfectly over the printed visors of previous heads, meaning if straps are important then there are 7 or 8 face options (2 different luke skywalkers with visor down, 2 faces on each of the x wing and snowspeeder heads, the 2 female heads on the sandspeeder pilot).

Unfortunately the opening at the front of the helmet is a tiny bit wider than the last, so firestartoys custom ones don't reach the sides and look a little off :( can't use my firestartoys biggs face with the new helmet. they matched the width of the old helmets rather than the straps on the official pieces.

Edited by fleetwoodd

We can just leave this here and the designer from Firestar can see it and maybe make an adjustment to the print. ;)

46 minutes ago, Robianco said:

We can just leave this here and the designer from Firestar can see it and maybe make an adjustment to the print. ;)

IMG_6777.JPG.8d886a8900a72ea37f60f2224a755b41.JPG

I've repurposed mine as Harb Binli (Rogue One) in the meantime with a blue helmet. 

If we're making requests, some more diversity in the white female pilots lineup would be lovely :D I'm currently rocking a male Evan Verlaine and a male Wona Goban and the head from sw882 isn't too easy to come by yet.

Edited by fleetwoodd
silly mistake with upload

Someone on Facebook posted a comparison pic...

No automatic alt text available.

Admittedly, something else must be off in the scale because the minifig on the right has a larger looking torso, but that's quite a size difference.

The side profile actually looks like a good shape. A little large but a very good likeness of the Rebel helmets. Maybe it's something that will grow on my once I've lived with it for a while.

I'm looking at my Sideshow Snowspeeder Luke figure and the helmet shape does look pretty accurate even from the front.

48 minutes ago, Calanon said:

Someone on Facebook posted a comparison pic...

No automatic alt text available.

Admittedly, something else must be off in the scale because the minifig on the right has a larger looking torso, but that's quite a size difference.

In the words of Lord Vader.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I'm sorry but that is really disappointing.

Their helmets were always really bulky though I've never seen one in person to know how large.

Gives sortve a bobble head appearence.

I don't know people really hated the newest Darth Vader Helmet initially and now its considered one of the best figures.

Edited by Forresto

At least with Vader he is one of a kind, these coming out just after so many great, unique prints is somewhat frustrating.

33 minutes ago, Calanon said:

At least with Vader he is one of a kind, these coming out just after so many great, unique prints is somewhat frustrating.

That's fair but look at the greater graphic detail they can put on the new helmet compared to the old one.

It's frustrating. Howevever this was inevitable. The old rebel helmet is one of THE oldest molds in the theme and it's not the most accurate.

Eventually we will get new prints for the different pilots and I think they will probably look so much better then the ones we currently have.

Edited by Forresto

Deary me those helmets are big - shape wise they’re probably more accurate but did they have to be so bloody big - they basically look like completely different helmets which is really annoying.

I’ve had a look and I think there are 30 unique rebel helmets - 26 with unique printing, covering 19 different characters - this is different to a Vader or Boba update.

There’s been a flurry of really decent printed helmets released within the last 3 years as well (12 I think), which has encouraged me to collect almost every helmet (if my wife found out how much I’d spent on these little bits of plastic I think she’d divorce me!), so to update in such a drastic manner is pretty thoughtless of Lego imo.

Currently I’m just not convinced they look very good. I’ll collect them either way and perhaps they’ll grow on me over time, but I’ll definately look to try and customise a Red Leader and Gold Five, and stick with the old moulds for the foreseeable.

The one upside to having no visor or strap on the faces is that you can make a Tatooine Biggs with the torso of the kid from the Freemaker's Adventures

5 hours ago, ShadowStrike said:

With Rowan, you mean?

Sweet, I'll be able to put the one I get from this year's Advent Calendar to use.

Yeah, I think it could work for Captain Antilles as well.

17 minutes ago, Ebkas said:

Yeah, I think it could work for Captain Antilles as well.

That torso is practically made for Biggs. But I'm more partial to this version of Captain Antilles (from earlier in this thread).

On 2/14/2017 at 8:26 PM, IronFish said:

Here are my results on updating Captain Antilles, probably one of the most recast Star Wars characters in the series history

32528564390_630ae431ae.jpg

It's the original helmet and torso, At-St driver head, and with CMF hiker Legs, with printing partially removed (I was going to do the pockets too, but I like the look of them).

He looks pretty good lined up with my generic Rebel Troopers.

9 minutes ago, ShadowStrike said:

That torso is practically made for Biggs. But I'm more partial to this version of Captain Antilles (from earlier in this thread).

That’s pretty much exactly how I updated mine.

2 hours ago, ShadowStrike said:

It is! I wonder if it was actually designed with him in mind.

The official Antilles torso looks miles better, but for people who don't already have it, this torso isn't bad.

I do wish it was a teensy bit smaller, just a smidge. 

We'll see. 

For me the most important comparison is against a Tie Fighter Pilot's Helmet, in universe they seem relatively close in size though I could be wrong.

Edited by Forresto

1 hour ago, Forresto said:

I do wish it was a teensy bit smaller, just a smidge. 

We'll see. 

For me the most important comparison is against a Tie Fighter Pilot's Helmet, in universe they seem relatively close in size though I could be wrong.

is that a request? ;)

5 minutes ago, fleetwoodd said:

is that a request? ;)

Sure :classic: Would love to see that!

9 hours ago, Forresto said:

Sure :classic: Would love to see that!

i can't PM you :(

maybe a similar image will start floating around the interwebs soon anyway ;)