Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

36 minutes ago, DrMuttonchops said:

Are there any dual-molded dark tan legs with black boots that fit the dark tan imperial uniforms besides the Ghostbusters legs?  I think they would work but I'm worried about removing the printing.  Has anyone done that?

I’ve done that to the Ghostbusters legs. Print came off fine and the legs look great.

Lego Tarkin Figures

Edited by Robianco

19 minutes ago, Robianco said:

I’ve done that to the Ghostbusters legs. Print came off fine and the legs look great.

Awesome, thank you so much! I saw the pictures of your Tarkin, but I wasn't 100% sure if that's what you did.  What did you use to remove the print?  I've used a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on double-sided heads and it worked well, but it does sorta remove the shiny finish.

1 hour ago, DrMuttonchops said:

Awesome, thank you so much! I saw the pictures of your Tarkin, but I wasn't 100% sure if that's what you did.  What did you use to remove the print?  I've used a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on double-sided heads and it worked well, but it does sorta remove the shiny finish.

Yeah. I’ve had issues like that one a couple of things I’ve removed the print from. I’m not sure if you’re in the UK but I used Brasso which is a polish. I had the main issues when I used a version of it which was impregnated into a cloth so you had to rub quite hard. I’ve since picked up a bottle of it which is liquid... I just use a healthy amount and flood the area while rubbing gently. Once it starts to come off it comes away pretty easily. I just don’t press as hard as I used to. Before the regular stormtroopers were so plentiful I used a toothpick dipped into the liquid to change the Jumptrooper to regular Stormie by removing the scuff marks.

On May 3, 2018 at 2:13 PM, Robianco said:

Lego Stormtrooper Printed Arms...

Speak to your bank managers...

WOW!

That is impressive.

I might have to buy three packs of the ten each.

Seriously impressed with these latest additions on Firestar - wonder how the blue squadron arms will work on the u-wing pilots (with dark tan printing) though. Wonder if we’ll see some snowspeeder arms in the future?

Dont have a picture to hand but I got some of the Greedo arms which look great and don’t require a multi purchase that’ll break the bank!

Props to Firestar tho - hope the trend continues!

8 hours ago, Forresto said:

WOW!

That is impressive.

I might have to buy three packs of the ten each.

What about when they also start to sell custom printed legs (print on the sides)

6 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

What about when they also start to sell custom printed legs (print on the sides)

I must say the Greedo arms look great but seeing them on does make me long for legs with side printing to match! 

You know, I wasn't ever planning on outfitting my entire collection of Rebels and Imperials with the FireStarToys arms... And then I learned that both the UCS TIE and UCS Snowspeeder include minifigures with printed arms. Really?

Sigh. Maybe once I have more money to spend...

I’m resisting the temptation to start buying stormtrooper arms. I have about 150 of them, and even I’m not that crazy!

5 hours ago, ShadowStrike said:

You know, I wasn't ever planning on outfitting my entire collection of Rebels and Imperials with the FireStarToys arms... And then I learned that both the UCS TIE and UCS Snowspeeder include minifigures with printed arms. Really?

Sigh. Maybe once I have more money to spend...

Some of us have bought several of those UCS torsos to kit out our TIE pilots. ;)

I’m seriously looking into getting pad printed arms done with just the Imperial symbol on them. Silver on black and black on light bley.

Unfortunatey the Snowspeeder arms are two colour and that would probably make it prohibitively expensive for just one use.

I badly want dual molded legs for Han Solo classic with side printing.

Come on Firestar!

On 5/12/2018 at 3:38 PM, CPGamers said:

printed arms should be standard, we are already paying a ton for lego

I would tend to agree.

19 hours ago, Renegade Clone said:

Does anyone have any pics of the Firestar Blue Squadron printed arms on a minifigure?

There's one on their website.  

So what is everyone going to do with their OT rebel pilot collection now they've updated the helmet mold? :sceptic:

Probably cry first. Then realize that the new helmet mold is awful and stick to the old ones.

What to do about printed arms, though...

I might only use Luke's new helmet and keep the old ones for all the others pilots

And FIirestar for printed arms.

8 hours ago, TWP said:

So what is everyone going to do with their OT rebel pilot collection now they've updated the helmet mold? :sceptic:

Yeah it's annoying as hell, especially since obviously I've spent so long building up a collection of them and am only four away from having them all at present. Hell they've released 4 new ones in the classic style this year alone (updated UCS Gold Leader, both Sandspeeder pilots and Antoc Merrick in the upcoming advent calendar), it's absolutely ridiculous that they've brought in a new style for just one set that's being released at the same time as an old helmet in the calendar.

However it's taken 19 years before they've updated them and both are just an update on two previously released ones, it'll be a LONG time before they replace all the others.

Is there a close-up image of the new helmet yet?

8 minutes ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Yeah it's annoying as hell, especially since obviously I've spent so long building up a collection of them and am only four away from having them all at present. Hell they've released 4 new ones in the classic style this year alone (updated UCS Gold Leader, both Sandspeeder pilots and Antoc Merrick in the upcoming advent calendar), it's absolutely ridiculous that they've brought in a new style for just one set that's being released at the same time as an old helmet in the calendar.

However it's taken 19 years before they've updated them and both are just an update on two previously released ones, it'll be a LONG time before they replace all the others.

I made this point in the 2018 thread. They will likely never replace all the variants they have produced in the new style. If the new helmet was essentially the same mold but with a visor piece I would be more accepting. However, it looks like a 'bulkier' mold to accommodate the trans-orange visor. I will leave ultimate judgement until comparison pics emerge.

1 hour ago, Renegade Clone said:

I made this point in the 2018 thread. They will likely never replace all the variants they have produced in the new style. If the new helmet was essentially the same mold but with a visor piece I would be more accepting. However, it looks like a 'bulkier' mold to accommodate the trans-orange visor. I will leave ultimate judgement until comparison pics emerge.

Hmm, that's a good point indeed. although I do think the so called replacement will go faster than it did the past 19 years. But it might still take the better part of 10. I'll probalbly keep collecting the old ones, until all new helmets are updated or so. What annoys me with the new minifig as well is the absense of a chin strap. It also doesn't seem they will have any extra dedicated printing or molding, which would be useful for e.g. gold leader (helmet almost completely dark green, white on the sides) and Zev Senesca (DBG/white). The printing on Luke's new helmet doesn't even seem more accurate then that on his old helmet.

And I usually don't read the 2018 thread, but will check it out, thanks

1 hour ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Yes, there are close-up images of the new helmet available, I'll PM them to you as I don't think EB has a policy of liking these images being posted.

The new helmets look good from angles other then the front but then again I think that's true in the original moviea as well.

Ultimately I'm happy the helmet has been updated though we'll only know how good the mold is once someone has them in hand and posts pics. 

I never really collected the pilots since Ive been feeling an update was years due, especially with the U-Wing pilot but I feel the pain of those who collected them. I might feel the same if Lego ever updates stormtroopers or Imperial Officers.

I will say this through, the leaps forward in quality are far less significant this time around then previous updates. The quality of most current figures is going to hold for a long time until arm and side leg printing become common as well as printing on dual molded legs.

The new helmets also might look really really good ontop of the current faces with printed on visors.

5 hours ago, Forresto said:

The new helmets look good from angles other then the front but then again I think that's true in the original moviea as well.

Ultimately I'm happy the helmet has been updated though we'll only know how good the mold is once someone has them in hand and posts pics. 

I never really collected the pilots since Ive been feeling an update was years due, especially with the U-Wing pilot but I feel the pain of those who collected them. I might feel the same if Lego ever updates stormtroopers or Imperial Officers.

I will say this through, the leaps forward in quality are far less significant this time around then previous updates. The quality of most current figures is going to hold for a long time until arm and side leg printing become common as well as printing on dual molded legs.

The new helmets also might look really really good ontop of the current faces with printed on visors.

There have already been in-hand pictures posted by leakers (elepha******** on flickr, if you want a link I'll pm you)

56 minutes ago, Renegade Clone said:

I wonder if it would be possible to remove the visor from the new Rebel Pilot helmet? That may offer a solution :)

you mean a solution for the chin straps?

Btw, if you want chin straps for the new pilots, you could use the reverse side of the skyhopper pilot and for luke the head from the snowspeeder with visor up. of course then you won't have a mustache for biggs... :(

15 minutes ago, TWP said:

There have already been in-hand pictures posted by leakers (elepha******** on flickr, if you want a link I'll pm you)

you mean a solution for the chin straps?

Btw, if you want chin straps for the new pilots, you could use the reverse side of the skyhopper pilot and for luke the head from the snowspeeder with visor up. of course then you won't have a mustache for biggs... :(

No, I mean I might remove the trans-orange visor completely if they produce a new helmet design i.e. Red Leader.

4 hours ago, Renegade Clone said:

I wonder if it would be possible to remove the visor from the new Rebel Pilot helmet? That may offer a solution :)

That isn't possible. The visor is part of the new mold. Plus it would stand out among the older helmets anyways.

If the new mold simply added a visor to the old one, I'd be okay with it.

Edited by ShadowStrike