Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

5 hours ago, Robianco said:

It's the minifigure hand holding the 'T' pin in place so the 1x1 clip can attach to it. The images shows the torso from the side.

So the T is kind of lying down? Doesn't that look pretty strange when the legs are infront of the Torso?

2 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

So the T is kind of lying down? Doesn't that look pretty strange when the legs are infront of the Torso?

Very possibly. I'm not a fan of this kind of leg build at all so aesthetically it's not something I'd ever go for. I'd rather just buy some red legs and mask them off and spread them to get the desired effect. I've done that previously with yellow legs getting sprayed up to look like yellow boots on black legs. That worked well for me.

The new Stormtrooper helmet seems to based off the additional armour that German Soldiers would place on top of their helmets during the First World War. It has quite a similar design, down to the slot/clips holding the additional armour on.

Does anyone know the in-universe canon reason for the variation in uniforms of Impetial Naval Troopers? I have a few spare torso and legs from the recent Lego comic imperial shuttle pilot and the upcoming battlepack offers the helmet on the emigration officer. I want to kno w exactly what I’d be making!

Imperial naval trooper

1 hour ago, Richpepperell said:

Does anyone know the in-universe canon reason for the variation in uniforms of Impetial Naval Troopers? I have a few spare torso and legs from the recent Lego comic imperial shuttle pilot and the upcoming battlepack offers the helmet on the emigration officer. I want to kno w exactly what I’d be making!

There's nothing in-universe about it, it's just a simple case of the left torso being the correct screen-accurate one that Lego included with the UCS Death Star (a similar one had previously been produced for the UCS TIE Fighter), and the right merely them being cheap in other sets by sticking that helmet on a standard Imperial shuttle pilot (who should have a cap).

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

Of the top of my head I can’t remember the names but the one on the left was on the Death Star while the one one the right was posted in the Endor Bunker.

Beaten by moments. 

Yep the Navy Trooper comes in both black tunic and jump suit although we're never given a real reason why.

Presumably the ones in jumpsuits are technicians?

I stand corrected... said the man in the orthopaedic shoes!

Although I doubt Lego was intending on being screen-accurate to just random guys in the background and the truth is more likely that they just stuck a new hat on the Star Destroyer Microfighter minifigure to save costs (they didn't even bother to change the head) - not to mention both figures were released in 2014. Plus even when it comes to Lucasfilm, I doubt there was any major reasoning behind it either - Return of the Jedi is infamously sloppy with its Imperial costumes and rankings.

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

Trying to work out the in film cannon of each type of character in a Star Wars flick can be a fruitless endeavour. 

I can image a bloke from the 70's with a fag hanging out his mouth just handing extras "stuff that looks similar". They had no idea how ranks or job roles worked or cared if they didn't look the same, as long as it worked on screen. A lot of props were also reused for different characters so that just adds to the confusion.

70's Britain was a very different place compared to the super micro managed Disney of today 

3 hours ago, That Orange Thing said:

Trying to work out the in film cannon of each type of character in a Star Wars flick can be a fruitless endeavour. 

I can image a bloke from the 70's with a fag hanging out his mouth just handing extras "stuff that looks similar". They had no idea how ranks or job roles worked or cared if they didn't look the same, as long as it worked on screen. A lot of props were also reused for different characters so that just adds to the confusion.

70's Britain was a very different place compared to the super micro managed Disney of today 

Whilst I loved your post and found it both very amusing and accurate to the production of the original trilogy, to be fair I actually don't think Disney's at quite the level of anal-retention you suggest it is either. Just watch the street scenes on Jedha in Rogue One, the guy with the crap bucket helmet is literally on *every single* street corner, he's practically photo bombing every scene. I'm torn between finding it delightfully 70s and at the same time irritatingly immersion-destroying haha.

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

1 hour ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Whilst I loved your post and found it both very amusing and accurate to the production of the original trilogy, to be fair I actually don't think Disney's at quite the level of anal-retention you suggest it is either. Just watch the street scenes on Jedha in Rogue One, the guy with the crap bucket helmet is literally on *every single* street corner, he's practically photo bombing every scene. I'm torn between finding it delightfully 70s and at the same time irritatingly immersion-destroying haha.

I actually watched rogue one today and thought "there's that guy with the bed pan on his head... Again".

I know the imperial uniforms are renowned for there inconsistencies, but I'm convinced there's some method behind the madness. I'm going to keep digging. 

When I think back, what those people did back then still looks pretty amazing even today. I can’t help but think about the priest ion of the Stormy helmets though. Make moulds for ANH... then repurpose some and make a few other for ESB. Then when it comes to ROTJ... ‘Can you make any more from that mould?’... ‘Probably... but they might look a bit shit.’ ‘Don’t worry... they’re legging it round a forest. Nobody will notice.’ I actually like some of the retconning stories. Like Red Leader’s helmet used on Hoth... Why? Well now it’s because the person that used it is the son of someone who was friends with Dreis so he repainted his helmet to look like his.

The AT-AT drivers' helmets are also just two TIE pilots from ANH spraypainted over (not very carefully), and fitted with some different details. And they're actually pretty close to a Lego light gray, not the white all toys and merch (inlcuding Lego) have done for decades. That was finally fixed in the AT-AT Microfighter, but of course then they went and put sand blue on there...

14 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

Imperial naval trooper

The variations depend on the role. The trooper on the left is in his service uniform. This is worn by the troops doing guard duty and whatnot on imperial ships and institutions. The uniform on the right is the crew variant, as people have pointed out above was seen in ROTJ, where they wear the crew jumpsuit. Its a more practical variation for their work. These two variations can be seen on the 501st Legion's costume reference library:

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:IN_imperial_navy_trooper

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:IN_imperial_navy_officer

I did a small update to K2-SO to make the arms a bit longer.

Sorry for the bad pictures

Lego K2-SO Purist UpdateLego K2-SO Purist UpdateLego K2-SO Purist Update

2 hours ago, Ebkas said:

Sorry for the bad pictures

Well, that is fantastic. I have to do it on mine. Great job!

4 hours ago, PaulPrime said:

Well, that is fantastic. I have to do it on mine. Great job!

Thanks!

Updated the collection of Rebel pilots, 20 pilots all with unique helmets (well two are updates of one another - Luke and Gold Leader, but different enough to be different) with 16 unique faces among them (8 being Firestar Toys customs). No one's been missed out this time! Got a plain white and a plain brown helmet too, but they both look rubbish so they're just in a spares box.

Really want to get the two helmets from the Assault on Hoth UCS set and am waiting for another of Luke's heads from the 75049 Snowspeeder from Bricklink so i can use its reverse on one of these pilots. Also need to get another of the heads of the sand speeder female pilot too so I can use her reverse head on another one of these as well. That'll get us up to 18 unique heads!

40425774044_890f0c7617_c.jpg

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

Nice! I split mine between regular pilots and Hoth pilots but if there’s a helmet for both then I have two helmets. I didn’t bother with the Reistance helmet or Ani’s Pod Racer helmet as they were never worn in the OT.

On 31-3-2018 at 10:13 AM, Ebkas said:

A for the effort but that's absolutely horrifying.

K2 has long arms but not that long.

Edited by Jim
Removed image from quote

15 hours ago, Forresto said:

A for the effort but that's absolutely horrifying.

K2 has long arms but not that long.

Yeah, they are too long. I personally prefer it like this to the original arms.

On 30.03.2018 at 1:42 PM, Richpepperell said:

Imperial naval trooper

also imperial navy trooper with mic so his face is also scene accurate:

death-star-troopers_250f8c36.jpeg?region

1 hour ago, Artizan said:

also imperial navy trooper with mic so his face is also scene accurate:

death-star-troopers_250f8c36.jpeg?region

Hmm, that uniform looks almost grey, could that be a plain grey officer's uniform or is it just black and looks grey because of the lighting?