Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

I was looking through Bricklink today, and noticed a part that looks very similar to Saw Gerrera's hair in Rogue one. This was Patty Tolan's hair from the Ghostbuster's reboot. It's not perfect, and I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of it yet, but it is a pretty close resemblance. Unfortunately, I do not have the piece in hand to try out. 

Beach batgirl's arms on Sabine (with Kori's head)?

maybe soccer-mum batgirl's legs could work as correlian bloodstripes?

Joe-el's head for Dodonna?

18 hours ago, Peppybricks said:

I was looking through Bricklink today, and noticed a part that looks very similar to Saw Gerrera's hair in Rogue one. This was Patty Tolan's hair from the Ghostbuster's reboot. It's not perfect, and I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of it yet, but it is a pretty close resemblance. Unfortunately, I do not have the piece in hand to try out. 

I'm more flexibel with the hair, problem is that black hair don't look too good with the dark grey pirate beard I use.. so I just made the bald version from Rebels S3 & flashbacks..
i hope TLG will release a version with a printed hairpiece.. but I'm afraid we won't get a decent Saw figure too soon, since it would require so many new molds (cape, legs, shoulder piece, hair, probably beard).

18 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I'm more flexibel with the hair, problem is that black hair don't look too good with the dark grey pirate beard I use.. so I just made the bald version from Rebels S3 & flashbacks..
i hope TLG will release a version with a printed hairpiece.. but I'm afraid we won't get a decent Saw figure too soon, since it would require so many new molds (cape, legs, shoulder piece, hair, probably beard).

Have you got a photo of yours? Curious to see how it differs from mine. I tried mine with hair and without, but preferred him bald like in the flashbacks (like you, hair colour was the big issue for me).

34816345743_a6812e7490_c.jpg

35457154972_6c268f5bce_c.jpg

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

On 15/11/2017 at 4:55 AM, Peppybricks said:

That is an excellent call, better than the one I tried it with, but overall felt my figure looked better without any. But thanks for the heads-up :)

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

Great minds :).... I literally ordered the same hair piece yesterday for that very reason - it's more braided than afro, and a dark blueish grey may look better but the shape is spot on.

I'm still experimenting with the body armour for my Saw as I want give him a dark green base colour (I do love the dark blue version on this thread mind!), but I'll upload as soon as it's done.

1 hour ago, ThousandMoon said:

Great minds :).... I literally ordered the same hair piece yesterday for that very reason - it's more braided than afro, and a dark blueish grey may look better but the shape is spot on.

I'm still experimenting with the body armour for my Saw as I want give him a dark green base colour (I do love the dark blue version on this thread mind!), but I'll upload as soon as it's done.

I would love to see this. Also, I think dark blueish grey might work as a highlight here and there, but not as a base color for the hair. I haven’t put together a Saw minifigure yet, but the colors are a little challenging. I’ve been experimenting with a few, but I’m not sure if I like any.

3 hours ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Have you got a photo of yours? Curious to see how it differs from mine. I tried mine with hair and without, but preferred him bald like in the flashbacks (like you, hair colour was the big issue for me).

I really like your's except for the big smile. Best version I've seen yet, that doesn't use costumized parts.

I will post pictures of mine next week, don't have the figure with me. I've used a  Ninjago Ghost wave torso & armor piece, dark grey zombie pirate beard + Drax leg's from Guardians of the Galaxy II. The colours are not accurate, but match very well together since both legs & torso use sand blue & navy blue. It's a bit like a Saw from a parallel universe :laugh: Bur I really like it

still hope for a decent accurate figure in the future.. I think sand green could match the torso, though it might be too bright..

28 minutes ago, Peppybricks said:

I would love to see this. Also, I think dark blueish grey might work as a highlight here and there, but not as a base color for the hair. I haven’t put together a Saw minifigure yet, but the colors are a little challenging. I’ve been experimenting with a few, but I’m not sure if I like any.

It's certainly a challenging figure to make! The blue one on this thread is an excellent purist one, but I feel I'll have to do the odd mod to get mine right.

Until the Patty Tolan piece arrives I've got the dark blueish grey 'swept back with widows peak' (J. Jonah Jameson), slightly off-centre - which actually looks ok against the medium dark flesh I'm using for Saw.

I've just started to build a whole bunch of extremists to go alongside - so many exciting options from the film!  

36 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I really like your's except for the big smile. Best version I've seen yet, that doesn't use costumized parts.

I will post pictures of mine next week, don't have the figure with me. I've used a  Ninjago Ghost wave torso & armor piece, dark grey zombie pirate beard + Drax leg's from Guardians of the Galaxy II. The colours are not accurate, but match very well together since both legs & torso use sand blue & navy blue. It's a bit like a Saw from a parallel universe :laugh: Bur I really like it

still hope for a decent accurate figure in the future.. I think sand green could match the torso, though it might be too bright..

If you want to use reddish brown head for Saw, the Karl Mordo one works very well!

That said the whole figure could be a useful base for Saw, if you substitute the left leg and arms for plain dark green.

17 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Best version I've seen yet, that doesn't use costumized parts.

17 hours ago, ThousandMoon said:

The blue one on this thread is an excellent purist one, but I feel I'll have to do the odd mod to get mine right.

Hate to burst any bubbles ,but that's not purist both the face and belt are custom.

16 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Hate to burst any bubbles ,but that's not purist both the face and belt are custom.

Well I've always acknowledged the two custom elements on the figure, so hope I'm not under critique there!

But that said, they are just two minor aesthetic elements. I could have used the head from Lego Dimensions' Mr T and just not used the belt, so a nearly identical purist Saw of my design is possible :)

And I've just had a thought... I could put a Darth Vader mouth-piece from the latest helmet design to match Saw's collar? It could work...

Saw Gerrera's most unique defining feature is his amor and the fact that the Lego actually has one that I'd say is a reasonable approximation of it is just bizarrely wonderful in itself, it's just a shame it's only available in such limited colour schemes (but considering it's rather unique, it's obviously to be expected). So it was the available colour-options on the armour that dictated my choice of colour for the rest of the figure, as such I thought navy was the closest option to the real-life teal (I think the only other options are dark grey, red and bright green). The bright green version of that armour that was available with a Lex Luthor figure just looks far too garish for my liking (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=72326pb02&name=Minifig, Armor Space with Shoulder Protection with Purple Stripe Pattern&category=[Minifig, Body Wear]#T=C) and reminds me more of Buzz Lightyear. Still, my solution makes it about as accurate as Lego's own inaccurate dark red colour schemes for Sabine Wren so I can live with that haha.

This looks like a potential alternative option for the armour, but is only available in grey and sadly lacks the round sockets on the chest that I felt the one I used more closely matched the real costume with:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=13986pb01&name=Minifig, Armor Space with Shoulder Protection and Spike on Right Shoulder with Silver Shoulder Pad and Chest Plate Pattern&category=[Minifig, Body Wear]#T=C&C=77

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

After my last post which gave me that small brain wave, here's just a quick snap of putting the Vader collar on Saw (didn't even realise I had a spare lying around!) - what do you all think? Does it work? Is it an improvement? Is it stupid?

24624473178_a5ae6eedd5_c.jpg

3 hours ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Well I've always acknowledged the two custom elements on the figure, so hope I'm not under critique there!

No not under critique, the custom elements work well there and you did acknowledge them ,I was only saying that because others themed to think it was purist and so might disappointed when they can't find where the head is from, if they aren't looking at custom parts/prints.

2 hours ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

After my last post which gave me that small brain wave, here's just a quick snap of putting the Vader collar on Saw (didn't even realise I had a spare lying around!) - what do you all think? Does it work? Is it an improvement? Is it stupid?

Well on first looks I wasn't convinced but then looking a Jedha Saw (pictured below) it is a good approximation of his collar so it actually works quite well.

rogueone-saw-600x338.jpg

if you use the Doctor Strange hair, and remove the printing on the Caveman Batman legs, you will get a pretty good looking Commander Sato. Also has anyone thought of Kraven the Hunter's fur piece for Cassian?

On 18.11.2017 at 9:45 AM, Daddy_Stardust said:

Not at all, I just usually dislike costume parts: very awkward faces, excessive use of 3D elements:
(probably great work, but the figures are just no longer Lego for me. They look sticky and unstable. You couldn't just switch hair, shoulder or cape pieces and so on...)

22 hours ago, Peppybricks said:

if you use the Doctor Strange hair, and remove the printing on the Caveman Batman legs, you will get a pretty good looking Commander Sato. Also has anyone thought of Kraven the Hunter's fur piece for Cassian?

I immediately thought about Sato when I saw the Dr Strange hairpiece. Unfortunately the set didn't release in Germany. The hairpiece would have been perfect for Sato or Sentinal Apocalypse Logan. :sadnew:

3 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Not at all, I just usually dislike costume parts: very awkward faces, excessive use of 3D elements:
(probably great work, but the figures are just no longer Lego for me. They look sticky and unstable. You couldn't just switch hair, shoulder or cape pieces and so on...)

I immediately thought about Sato when I saw the Dr Strange hairpiece. Unfortunately the set didn't release in Germany. The hairpiece would have been perfect for Sato or Sentinal Apocalypse Logan. :sadnew:

Ugh totally agree with you, I can't stand that stuff. The craftsmanship is very impressive, but as you said, it's not Lego.

I only go with custom with the occasional face, helmet, screen-accurate weapon (just for one or two important characters) or accessory. Basically stuff that looks exactly like Lego, that anyone else would assume was the real deal - eg. Firestar Toys' excellent array of varied rebel pilot faces for example are just something Lego really need to do for real, I was sick of every pilot having the same 4 options of face. These are all still to be played with by my son, so can't be having lots of fragile components.

I don't wish to be mean, but have you seen any of the 'custom' minifigures out there that people seem to have modified using papier mache, felt pens, paint, glued-on-paper, careless use of carving knives etc? Some of the poor little figs look like they'd be screaming in pain if they could.

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

6 hours ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Ugh totally agree with you, I can't stand that stuff. The craftsmanship is very impressive, but as you said, it's not Lego.

I only go with custom with the occasional face, helmet, screen-accurate weapon (just for one or two important characters) or accessory. Basically stuff that looks exactly like Lego, that anyone else would assume was the real deal - eg. Firestar Toys' excellent array of varied rebel pilot faces for example are just something Lego really need to do for real, I was sick of every pilot having the same 4 options of face. These are all still to be played with by my son, so can't be having lots of fragile components.

I don't wish to be mean, but have you seen any of the 'custom' minifigures out there that people seem to have modified using papier mache, felt pens, paint, glued-on-paper, careless use of carving knives etc? Some of the poor little figs look like they'd be screaming in pain if they could.

I like to make my little buddies scream a bit, helicopter parenting aint good for anyone!  

No but I think that the base for lego is creativity and it should be endless and if one will let the trademark stop you, then your on a detour

10 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

I like to make my little buddies scream a bit, helicopter parenting aint good for anyone!  

Haha you're not this cruel though I hope (courtesy of google images)?

It's ok little guy, the pain will be over soon.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

1 hour ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Haha you're not this cruel though I hope (courtesy of google images)?

It's ok little guy, the pain will be over soon.

maxresdefault.jpg

Haha! The question is whether the little guy or we who need to watch him suffer the most. Damn thats ugly!

Edited by Sneakguest

A purist RO Saw with that Patty Tolan hairpiece... I quite like it!

SawGerrera.png

On 23/11/2017 at 10:33 AM, ThousandMoon said:

A purist RO Saw with that Patty Tolan hairpiece... I quite like it!

SawGerrera.png

Very nice alternative, great work! Where are the various parts from?

On 26-11-2017 at 9:28 PM, Daddy_Stardust said:

Very nice alternative, great work! Where are the various parts from?

Torso is from the Marvel Doctor Strange set

left (right from view) leg is from a  CMF "rogue" minifig

The staff is from CMF magician series 1 minifig, and the ligthsaber hilt is metallic gray, can be found in some sets, e.g. the staff from chirrut imwe

The neck piece is from nexo nights

hairpiece is from  patty tolan (ghostbusters)

Can't recognise the rest

So i wasn't able to find a Eurobricks page on Purist Lego Star Wars Minifigures, so I decided to make one myself. Please feel free to share any Purist Lego Star Wars minifigures you make.