Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

8 hours ago, bountybossk said:

Made a few small updates. Left to right:

- Head from the TLBM character pack on the Hoth rebel officer.
- Updated Toryn Farr with Jyn face and more accurate bun hair.
- My own (WIP) Tarkin. I don't like the official head with the far too dark eyebrows, so I'm using Vulture's head. Really want to replace the torso.
- I finally have a pilot for my Imperial shuttle as I found the Kyber saber magazine with Death Star trooper. Used that new torso from 75159.

Nice updates! I think that head looks a bit too old for Tarkin, but I also don't like the new official head. This is okay, but looks too young. The old head was good, they should have kept that basic design and updated it.

Edited by Ebkas

8 hours ago, Ebkas said:

Nice updates! I think that head looks a bit too old for Tarkin, but I also don't like the new official head. This is okay, but looks too young. The old head was good, they should have kept that basic design and updated it.

With the reddish brown widow's peak  hairpiece that would make an excellent young Tarkin.

17 hours ago, Forresto said:

With the reddish brown widow's peak  hairpiece that would make an excellent young Tarkin.

Here's a quick photoshop of what your idea would look like.58c7ac5a5a402_LegoYoungTarkin.png.a67de5717c806a359722867a04de23e1.png  (I know it's bad, but it gives an idea.)

Has anyone got the Batman Accessory set? It's a bit expensive for what you get, but looking at the minifig parts, there is quite a bit of potential. The female cop's torso looks like a good smugglers suit, the faces look very interesting and fairly generic, the police suits can be put into a Lego City diorama without flesh printing at the collar, as someone said before, the dual molded legs will be great for Han Solo (just no holster) and the hair on the female cop is coming out for the first time in black (that would be perfect along with the pink and black dual molded legs from the Batman CMF for Mettaton EX from Undertale, but that's getting off topic).

Edited by Ebkas

I picked it up and used the female torso for a custom Renee Montoya. Both of the male heads actually went on updating and expanding my Rebel Endor Troopers. I actually used the spare Rebel heads for the Police figures so expand the Gotham Police Department.

There's a thin line on the right leg of the dual moulded black legs for an overcoat so it doesn't work great for Han unless you rub that out and without the holster I think it would be missing the most important thing.

Just now, Robianco said:

I picked it up and used the female torso for a custom Renee Montoya. Both of the male heads actually went on updating and expanding my Rebel Endor Troopers. I actually used the spare Rebel heads for the Police figures so expand the Gotham Police Department.

There's a thin line on the right leg of the dual moulded black legs for an overcoat so it doesn't work great for Han unless you rub that out and without the holster I think it would be missing the most important thing.

I assumed that was a wrinkle in the pants, but I see now. Without the holster would be acceptable for brown and black dual molded legs, because Han doesn't have it for a while in TESB and ROTJ.

8 minutes ago, Ebkas said:

I assumed that was a wrinkle in the pants, but I see now. Without the holster would be acceptable for brown and black dual molded legs, because Han doesn't have it for a while in TESB and ROTJ.

The sooner they dual mould them and put a stripe on the side the better. One of the things I really liked about the Kubrick series of Star Wars figures was the level of detail even in the blasters... That's why I've started to update my figures with accurate blasters and the dual moulding and printing of arms and legs is taking things to the next level. The LBM has shown us how detailed things can get.

Just now, Robianco said:

The sooner they dual mould them and put a stripe on the side the better. One of the things I really liked about the Kubrick series of Star Wars figures was the level of detail even in the blasters... That's why I've started to update my figures with accurate blasters and the dual moulding and printing of arms and legs is taking things to the next level. The LBM has shown us how detailed things can get.

It wouldn't be good to get so detailed as to have molded torsos like some customisers do. It stops being Lego then.

11 minutes ago, Ebkas said:

It wouldn't be good to get so detailed as to have molded torsos like some customisers do. It stops being Lego then.

Yeah... I draw the line at that too.

If anyone's interested, I ripped all of the texture files from the characters in the LEGO TFA game, I'm sure plenty of them can be used for decals.  I'm personally using them in LDD, here's an example with Black Squadron from the Poe comics:

33478429735_4147e23539_z.jpg

The download for all the files is here: https://www.mediafire.com/?7tsp7w7hzr6h4ua

Highly recommend a also downloading something to get the DDS files to show up as thumbnails, makes going through it all much easier.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

4 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

If anyone's interested, I ripped all of the texture files from the characters in the LEGO TFA game, I'm sure plenty of them can be used for decals.  I'm personally using them in LDD, here's an example with Black Squadron from the Poe comics:

The download for all the files is here: https://www.mediafire.com/?7tsp7w7hzr6h4ua

Highly recommend a also downloading something to get the DDS files to show up as thumbnails, makes going through it all much easier.

Beautiful! 

I love the Poe Dameron comic, really wish Lego would give us these as official figures.

Obviously we already got a Snap Wexley in a Microfighter set, he just needs Poe's hair piece.

I wanted to have a Minifig of Anakin as he made a short appearance when Ahsoka cut open Vader's face mask on Malachor. Since I'm pretty sure we'll never get this Minifig, I finally decided to modify two parts and make my own. Since people here in this topic have modified parts to get updated Minifigs before - like rubbing off prints - I'd say it's legitimate for me to post this here, even if the modification is a bit more involved.

The parts I used are the following:

-Darth Vader from set 75150

-Anakin's head from set 9494

First of all, I took a very sharp hobby knife with a narrow blade and carefully cut out the right lens from Vader's helmet. Then I cut in the vertical damage above and below the lens where Ahsoka's lightsaber cut into the metal. I used regular printing paper to carefully smooth-out and round-out the edges of the cut so that they look as shiny like an official element from Lego might look. Next I filed away 1mm from the top of Anakin's head and from the stud. I also cut away the antistud in Vader's helmet. I did this until the eye of Anakin's head visible throught the removed lens on Vader's helmet lined up with the left lens which is still intact. Then I carefully glued Anakin's head into the modified Vader's helmet to make it one clean, modified element, which can be removed from the neck-peg on the minifigure torso and the lower part of Vader's helmet:

anakinmalachor001.jpg

anakinmalachor002.jpg

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

16 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

I tried to download the files but because I'm on Mac it doesn't work. :sceptic: But nice customs! 

1 hour ago, DarthTwoShedsJackson said:

I wanted to have a Minifig of Anakin as he made a short appearance when Ahsoka cut open Vader's face mask on Malachor. Since I'm pretty sure we'll never get this Minifig, I finally decided to modify two parts and make my own. Since people here in this topic have modified parts to get updated Minifigs before - like rubbing off prints - I'd say it's legitimate for me to post this here, even if the modification is a bit more involved.

First of all, I took a very sharp hobby knife with a narrow blade and carefully cut out the right lens from Vader's helmet. Then I cut in the vertical damage above and below the lens where Ahsoka's lightsaber cut into the metal. I used regular printing paper to carefully smooth-out and round-out the edges of the cut so that they look like an official element from Lego might look. Next I filed away 1mm from the top of Anakin's head and from the stud. I also cut away the antistud in Vader's helmet. I did this until the eye of Anakin's head visible throught the removed lens on Vader's helmet lined up with the left lens which is still intact. Then I carefully glued Anakin's head into the modified Vader's helmet to make it one clean, modified element, which can be removed from the neck-peg on the minifigure torso and the lower part of Vader's helmet:

Nice custom! But I don't think it quite fits in this topic as the non-purist things done on here are -as you said- fairly light such as erasing print. 

Edited by Ebkas

2 hours ago, Ebkas said:

I tried to download the files but because I'm on Mac it doesn't work. :sceptic: But nice customs!

Did you unpack the RAR file? Or didnt the downloading part just not work?

Just now, TWP said:

Did you unpack the RAR file? Or didnt the downloading part just not work?

When unpacking it, only a few pictures downloaded.

I don't think there's anything about this thread that say something HAS to be purist to update your minifigure. Whether you modify a part of add third party elements such as cloaks, backpacks, weapons etc is all acceptable.

Purist mods can be simpler to follow and very effective such as the light grey imperial legs for the Rebel Troopers but the broken helmet on Vader is done really well so I think it works great. It may be more of a custom rather than an update but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

6 hours ago, Ebkas said:

When unpacking it, only a few pictures downloaded.

I'm working on converting them all to .pngs, and when I finish that I'll upload a .zip version which should hopefully work much better on Macs.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:02 PM, TheNerdyOne_ said:

Can you do this with other LEGO games by any chance? Like Lego Harry Potter or Indiana Jones?

Fantastic work DarthTwoShedsJackson, that looks absolutely incredible. I've only ever taken out the tools to create third-legs on astromech droids and for the criss-cross on a Y-Wing nacelle (I'll have to upload that ship sometime), I myself am so shoddy with a knife that I'm sure my own attempts at following your instructions would result in nothing but a mangled Vader mask and a profusely bleeding thumb; yours is a truly magnificent job.

And thank you to Richpepperell; the red capes came down (along with black ones for the shadow guards) and they make such a huge difference.

8 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

I'm working on converting them all to .pngs, and when I finish that I'll upload a .zip version which should hopefully work much better on Macs.

Thanks! I may attempt to rip the graphics from the original LSW games, though they would need some updating.

On 17.3.2017 at 11:20 AM, DarthTwoShedsJackson said:

I wanted to have a Minifig of Anakin as he made a short appearance when Ahsoka cut open Vader's face mask on Malachor. Since I'm pretty sure we'll never get this Minifig, I finally decided to modify two parts and make my own. Since people here in this topic have modified parts to get updated Minifigs before - like rubbing off prints - I'd say it's legitimate for me to post this here, even if the modification is a bit more involved

Fantastic! I've pictured this scene with a Lego minifigure sooo often.Though I use the exclusive "angry" Vader head, form the latest ISD set. I think this one just looks a bit older than the Ani face you used. Now you just need some Malachor background & Ahsoka facing Vader :wub:

On 17/03/2017 at 10:20 AM, DarthTwoShedsJackson said:

First of all, I took a very sharp hobby knife with a narrow blade and carefully cut out the right lens from Vader's helmet. Then I cut in the vertical damage above and below the lens where Ahsoka's lightsaber cut into the metal. I used regular printing paper to carefully smooth-out and round-out the edges of the cut so that they look as shiny like an official element from Lego might look. Next I filed away 1mm from the top of Anakin's head and from the stud. I also cut away the antistud in Vader's helmet. I did this until the eye of Anakin's head visible throught the removed lens on Vader's helmet lined up with the left lens which is still intact. Then I carefully glued Anakin's head into the modified Vader's helmet to make it one clean, modified element, which can be removed from the neck-peg on the minifigure torso and the lower part of Vader's helmet:

This is just brilliant. Will be check bricklink for the top part of Vaders helmet asap! Can't imagine it would ever look as good as this though!

On 17/03/2017 at 10:20 AM, DarthTwoShedsJackson said:

I wanted to have a Minifig of Anakin as he made a short appearance when Ahsoka cut open Vader's face mask on Malachor. 

This is just brilliant. Will be check bricklink for the top part of Vaders helmet asap! Can't imagine it would ever look as good as this though!

After watching this week's Rebels, I thought I'd have a quick stab at the latest version of Maul. I particularly like the way Wyldstyles hood looks! Legs are the best I could come up with.

20170318_18141720170318_181331