Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

6YGHTr4.jpg

lelUxo3.jpg

GAwArRT.jpg

Q3yJsU2.jpg

Finally!!! I've managed to upload pictures. So expect loads of updated ships & figures showing up for the time being :devil:
S1 Sabine: Since I couldn't find arms that look like Sabines (detailed shoulder pads etc.) I gave her arms which should represent a "dark tan jumpsuit" & expose a bit of flesh, like her outfit did in S1. Plus Wildstyles headpiece & a Jetpack.

S2 pictures are pretty bad, better pics will come.

S3 The hairpiece from the latest CMF Cyborg seemed to fit her current hairstyle best. The outfit & helmet painting she wears is unfortunately not possible to reproduce with current Lego parts. So I decidet to give her a light grey jumpsuit, with black boots & shoulder pads.

Edited by Kim-Kwang-Seok

It's unfortunately the only hairpiece that comes a bit close to her S3 hair colour & style. Fitting molds & prints by alternative brick services would be great...

The problem with updating the Clone Wars Ahsoka figures using the non-anime Rebels head is that the skin tones don't match. The older ones have bright orange skin while the latest figure uses dark orange. Her facial markings are also redesigned so that while they may be accurate to Rebels, they don't entirely fit the younger Clone Wars version. :sceptic:

To many of us the Jedi Robe dilemma has been a long running issue. How does one effectively make Ben Kenobi appear to have a long robe? However I think we may be getting a taste of what Lego's future solution for that maybe. 

31347175884_baedaa8e3d_o.jpg

To create the effect of the lab coat the legs are dual molded so that the bottom half are the color of the pants and the top half the color of the coat. Then the pants color is printed in the middle of the top half creating the effect that the figure is wearing a coat. 

Unfortunately there appears to be one downside. The technique is most effective when the coat or robe is a lighter color and the pants are darker. With Obi Wan we would have the reverse situation that leads to the robe printing appearing washed out on a darker plastic. I don't see this as a huge issue as that is what we get anyways and this technique would make the figure more appealing from every angle then what we have.  

Edited by Forresto

8 hours ago, Forresto said:

Unfortunately there appears to be one downside. The technique is most effective when the coat or robe is a lighter color and the pants are darker. With Obi Wan we would have the reverse situation that leads to the robe printing appearing washed out on a darker plastic. I don't see this as a huge issue as that is what we get anyways and this technique would make the figure more appealing from every angle then what we have.  

The problem is rather that this would still look odd if used on a Jedi robe. Now we get 85 % tan legs, though you just see a small portion of tan pants - most is covered by the robe & boots. Even plain dark brown legs do a better job! Same situation with the latest Mace Windu figure. a bit legprinting & mostly white legs. You almost can't see the white on his actual outfit in the movie.

If you use dual molded legs on the figures though, you'd get the impression he wears tan boots - or in Windu's case white boots. You'd need trial molding ;)

Does anyone know if a figure can wear both a normal backpack (the kind hoth rebels wear) and a utility belt?

My sabines, using the girl's head from the free maker set. (And different colour arms on the season 1 version)

2MPl7VDh.jpg

Looks very nice!

Anyone for Young Yularen? I know it's a videogame exclusive but maybe you have some ideas?

That Vader Skirt is GREAT. I want to steal that idea. :)

I've got a bag full of old rebel pilots.

I've got the new style with the awesome new helmets with the visor.

THIS is how Lego gets you. I feel like my army of old ones are now too old. I need to update their faces to not have the orange thing. And I need to update their helmets to be the modern ones. But I guess I'll have to wait until enough old style X-Wing helmets (all the wings really) are available. And then I'm sure I'll have to do it again when they update again! 

42 minutes ago, BrickG said:

That Vader Skirt is GREAT. I want to steal that idea. :)

I've got a bag full of old rebel pilots.

I've got the new style with the awesome new helmets with the visor.

THIS is how Lego gets you. I feel like my army of old ones are now too old. I need to update their faces to not have the orange thing. And I need to update their helmets to be the modern ones. But I guess I'll have to wait until enough old style X-Wing helmets (all the wings really) are available. And then I'm sure I'll have to do it again when they update again! 

That's exactly it, I'm addicted really. There is no reason for there not to just be final and best quality versions of every figure, but then there wouldn't be enough cash for TLG executives to swim around in. There has to be a new hat with each new version of a figure

On 26.12.2016 at 1:48 AM, Calanon said:

I am going to be attempt to start learning to do custom decals tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't take too long, I'll make a topic when I've successfully traced a design. Will do Tarkin or stormtrooper lieutenant first.

I was going to wait until the summer, but Thrawn's rank insignia being wrong has sped up me wanting to progress with my imperial military project.

Dunno if this is too late, but I just found your discussion from christmas about Thrawn's torso... ironically, I did a torso update specifically designed to address the insignia issue at the start of december, but simply forgot to post it here. But better late than never, I suppose?

http://www.startale.at/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/thrawn.jpg

Go wild, have fun.

/* Edit: I just realize why I didn't post it earlier, because it's not finished! Guess I'll finish it right now, it needs epaulettes and more details... brb with an updated version.

//* Edit2: Updated. For anyone pointing out differences between this and the official Lego minifig, slight modifications were made to make it more movie-accurate.

Edited by Cody Startale

1 hour ago, Cody Startale said:

Dunno if this is too late, but I just found your discussion from christmas about Thrawn's torso... ironically, I did a torso update specifically designed to address the insignia issue at the start of december, but simply forgot to post it here. But better late than never, I suppose?

Go wild, have fun.

/* Edit: I just realize why I didn't post it earlier, because it's not finished! Guess I'll finish it right now, it needs epaulettes and more details... brb with an updated version.

//* Edit2: Updated. For anyone pointing out differences between this and the official Lego minifig, slight modifications were made to make it more movie-accurate.

This looks pretty good, although there are a few things I plan on doing a bit differently. I'll probably just straight up use Tarkin's torso and modify the colours as appropriate.

Picked up  couple of the new Batman Movie cmf just to get some of the parts and came up with the following...

31491022543_57d9f35cb7_z_d.jpg

Captain Rae Sloane - I know the smile and lipstick aren't really ideal, but the evil eyebrows seem to off set that a bit.  Head from the Barbara Gordon cmf.

32301782515_1dff5748bc_z_d.jpg32301776275_439e8dc6ed_z_d.jpg

Rebel soldier (actually Corporal Eresko Casrich) - with added utility belt! This comes with the Catman cmf, and would be ideal to add a bit of variety to Endor Rebels etc.  Would be great to get this in black for Death troopers and white for Scout troopers.

10 minutes ago, Richpepperell said:

Rebel soldier (actually Corporal Eresko Casrich) - with added utility belt! This comes with the Catman cmf, and would be ideal to add a bit of variety to Endor Rebels etc.  Would be great to get this in black for Death troopers and white for Scout troopers.

That does look really great, the batarang on the back kinda ruins it though.

3 minutes ago, khatmorg said:

That does look really great, the batarang on the back kinda ruins it though.

The back actually just features more pouches and ammo capsules, so looks pretty good (sorry if you were joking!).

32182503541_3a1ffde697_z_d.jpg

yeah, do you have any idea how to get that character pack, once it is out? Because I never see these in any stores in Germany..
Sloane looks great, the evil face really nails it.

My costume Captain Phasma - some time before the FO, when she was a stormtrooper commander (in my own madeup cannon ; ). Like with Vader or the witch king, I wanted to make the figure "tall", compared to regular sized ones. For that purpose I used 2 neck pieces & 1x1 bricks to extend the legs. Takes some time getting used to, but it works for me. As hairpiece I used one from the CMF that looks like Brienne of Tarths in a Game of Thrones - same actress. The only thing missing is the Batman utilitybelt in white.

EVAjA4r.jpg

gHYiRoH.jpg

size comparison with my Maul figure
7ROQIWf.jpg