motomatt

[MOC] Peterbilt 379 Semi Truck 1:18 in yellow and black with instructi

YAPT (Yet Another Peterbilt Truck :)

After recently catching the AFOL bug I found myself spending alot of time admiring Bricksonwheels' creations and Sariel's road train. Then after building one of Ingmar's trucks, I felt compelled to build my own. So here it is.

640x480.jpg

Since I already build a lowboy trailer very similar to Ingmar's detachable gooseneck design in yellow and black, I went with a yellow and black color scheme for the truck.

The truck has 5 PF motors. 2 XL motors for drive. Servo for gear rack steering. M-motor attached to a PF switch allowing remote control on/off of all the lights. This design is very similiar to the one found in Madoca's wing-body truck. The truck has head lights, tail lights, roof lights, as well as a PF connector in the back allowing the trailer's lights to use the same remotely controlled switch. An M-motor is used to lift and lower the third axle.

Originally I made the truck with a two speed gearbox very similar to the one Madoca used in his SUV Mk II. Since the gearing allowed the truck to be rather fast and zippy in the faster of the two gears I decided to use dual XL motors for the drive. But after finding a few too many false neutrals with the torque of dual XL motors, I've since removed the gearbox. Now it seems that two drive motors are a bit overkill unless you're pulling a heavy trailer uphill.

To make it a bit unique I set out to give it a third axle which can be remotely lifted and lowered. All wheels utilize technic shock absorbers.

640x480.jpg

The cabin can fit a full size battery or the smaller rechargable one.

640x480.jpg

From the top, it's 59 studs long. The two PF connector's just ahead of the fifth wheel are or for continuous power to the trailer and remotely controlled trailer lights.

640x853.jpg

Here it is pulling a heavy 42030 Volvo wheel loader. Yellow overload.

800x600.jpg

So originally I had no plans to make instructions, but once I started playing around with LDraw and Bricksmith, I just couldn't stop :-) The full instructions are available on rebrickable

http://rebrickable.c...ellow-and-black

peterbilt379_ldrawphoto2.png

800x600.jpg

The truck is up on MOCpages http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/411142

More pics are available on bricksafe http://bricksafe.com...o Peterbilt 379

Many thanks to Aurimax https://www.bricklin...e.asp?p=Aurimax for the Chrome pieces.

Edited by motomatt

Thanks for sharing your MOC. Your truck looks great. The low profile is cool. Could you do a video showing its performance?

And thanks for providing instructions. I'll take look at it tonight.

Truly an excellent model of an iconic truck. The lifting rear axle is nice and the complete rig with the Volvo loader looks great. And the yellow/black color scheme looks good for all three parts. Brick on!

Looks really great! Does it have suspension? Front wheels seem to bend a bit... Also you forgot to take the most important picture, the undershot!

Great build! I love the Peterbilts, especially the 379; it is an iconic model.

The instructions look good too, although I can't figure out how the second axle is connected to the drive train :blush: Thanks for putting the effort!

Great build! I love the Peterbilts, especially the 379; it is an iconic model.

The instructions look good too, although I can't figure out how the second axle is connected to the drive train :blush: Thanks for putting the effort!

Thanks. So originally the truck was dual axle drive. Then in an effort to try to optimize away the drive friction, I removed the rearward drive going to the rear-most differential. But it's very easy to make the rear-most differential part of the drive train again. The simpler option of just using a Universal joint directly between the two differentials without adding additional axles required the wheels to be at least one stud further apart, and that took away from the look of the truck a bit.

peterbilt379_rear_drive_axle.png

Looks really great! Does it have suspension? Front wheels seem to bend a bit... Also you forgot to take the most important picture, the undershot!

The truck uses 8 technic 6.5L springs. This is what the truck looks like from beneath

800x316.jpg

Edited by motomatt

Really nice with cool colours! Thanks for making instructions!

Welcome to our community! You did a good job on this one, combining looks and technics. Keep it going!

Thank you, coming from the master himself.

Thanks for sharing your MOC. Your truck looks great. The low profile is cool. Could you do a video showing its performance?

And thanks for providing instructions. I'll take look at it tonight.

So here's a quick video of the truck pulling the Volvo 42030 on a lowboy trailer.

This is was first attempt at editing multiple video clips into one.

800x600.jpg

You really have the "AFOL bug" :wink::thumbup::wub:

Nice build and great to see that you take the inspiration in your own creations. Thanks for sharing, this really looks awesome!!!

You really have the "AFOL bug" :wink::thumbup::wub:

Nice build and great to see that you take the inspiration in your own creations. Thanks for sharing, this really looks awesome!!!

Thank you Ingmar (2LegoOrNot2Lego). I really liked your trucks and trailers and I guess it's the build of your US Truck Mk II v1 that got me started with this lego semi-truck fascination recently.