dtomsen

[MOC] (DSB) Litra MH (7-wide shunter)

Presenting another Danish shunter...DSB Litra MH 322

History:

The Danish State Railways (DSB) diesel shunter Litra MH were built in great numbers by Frichs in Denmark from the year 1960 to 1965. In all 120 shunters were built to replace the steam shunters still being used. The shunters were repainted in the 80's to black and red from the original dark green. The last shunter was decommissioned in 2001.

17139282819_62ac371e97_b.jpg

©Hans Stückler

My model:

Scale: 1:54ish

Lenght: 26 studs

Width: 7 studs

Bricks: 455

Motortype: PF

Model built: 2012-14

The stickers are homemade with self-adhesive labels printed by a copy shop and then cut by myself to fit.

The upper part is primarily constructed with plates and tiles, in general only a few standard bricks are used in the construction.

16693449653_5833eb0f0f_b.jpg

The model is run by PF and requires one 9v battery connected by custom adapter to the Power Functions M-Motor. Pull and speed are acceptable.

17311871422_5bf8e03c33_b.jpg

The shunter pulling a white Litra Gs wagon.

17287749376_ef706f3f27_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen
Per the Site Guidelines, please keep embedded images to a maximum of 1,024 x 768 pixels

Wow, really great job there! Nice to see some danish trains :-)

PS: On a web-technical note, the lego-pictures in PNG are 3x the file size of the first JPG.. and even though I'm currently in a high-tech hotel in Dubai, it took 10 minutes to get the PNG's and 1 min for the JPG..

Slow server at 'staticflicr.com' contra blogspot or file sizes ??

Nice work. Does the middle wheel float above the tracks? I just wonder cos it is sort of flanged on both sides so if it touched it could cause problems.

Nice work. Does the middle wheel float above the tracks? I just wonder cos it is sort of flanged on both sides so if it touched it could cause problems.

Yep, the middle wheel does indeed float above the tracks and is this part which actually works just fine from the side as blind drivers for the standard sized train wheels :classic:

Edited by dtomsen

That is a lovely shunter and the use of the 9V is very innovative. As far as the speed being in the "acceptable" category, I am always reminded by Cale that trains are not supposed to be fast.

Very nice model, dtomsen. Very nice to see some homely trains :cry_happy: I do remember Litra MH from my childhood, as I lived in a town where DSB used some shunters. They were green at the time, and the bigger ones, Litra MT, I remember as being red and black.

That's a great little model. Looks like the V60's Danish cousin. I like how you've managed to make it modular to make is easy to change the battery.

Have you tried running it? I built a KoF that's using the same 9V battery but it doesn't last very long...

Great model perfect design!!! How long does that 9v battery last on average I thought just 1 9v battery would drain itself pretty fast?

Good Job!!!

-RailCo

Have you tried running it? I built a KoF that's using the same 9V battery but it doesn't last very long...

Yeah, the battery doesn't last very long, about 30 min on a good day...can't have it all :-)

Edited by dtomsen

how do you manage to fix the batterie?

The rear of the upper part is the exact same width (and length) inside as the battery.

it is a lego part?

Half of it is :sweet:

You can read more about the custom adapter here

Edited by dtomsen

---Updated 22.08.2018---

A few pictures of the model in the original dark green livery :classic:
The stickers are this time wet transfer decals and cannibalised original LEGO stickers.

42389210750_8eff13a0fd_b.jpg

Pulling a litra HK wagon from the same era:

30316509438_b2286ee547_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen