Sign in to follow this  
Endriu

Why is the grey baseplate so expensive?

Just out of curiosity, why is the grey baseplate so expensive??? in relation to the sand and green baseplates?

Actually I am just interested in the green stuff for now but it seems a little bit unreasonable if its just the color that is different... What do you guys think?

Actually I am just interested in the green stuff for now but it seems a little bit unreasonable if its just the color that is different...

It's not just a colour difference. The grey baseplate is 48 x 48 studs, whereas the other baseplates are 32 x 32 studs.

It's not just a colour difference. The grey baseplate is 48 x 48 studs, whereas the other baseplates are 32 x 32 studs.

ah,.. OK - I didnt know that! :) thanks

Just btw which baseplates do you guys and gals prefer?

I am thinking about two green ones and one sandy baseplate to start with. My longterm plan is a medieval setting (paybe pirate as well) with a focus on nature - so a grey baseplate (especially one that is 48x48 big) doesnt seem to make sense.

Some people just use baseplates for structural strength and end up covering them up with the MOC anyway, so grey wouldn't be that big of a deal. Now in Castle I could see someone dropping some different shaped darker grey tiles to make a cobblestone street effect inside a castle. For Pirate though, even the navy's flooring would need to be a different color.

I'm working on a MOC right now that is huge but needs one baseplate because of structural issues and I'm using a giant red DUPLO baseplate. I'll have to cover it with green bricks, but at least the structure will hold.

Like stated, most MOCers will cover the baseplate in random tiles and plates to build up the environment and then build whatever MOC on top of that. I originally thought I'd never use 48x48 but anymore that is almost all I use...

Ok, I see...

Well, for beginners like me 32x32 seems to be perfect, and shall the need arise I can always buy a 48x48 lateron....

Another reason why 32x32 seems perfect for me is my table, I can put 6 of those on it but only 3 of the 48x48 baseplates

I guess there is no right or wrong in this scenario...

I really wish Lego had the darker green 32x32 base plates in production. I hate they only have the lighter, older green ones now (and the price hike).

As for the gray base plate, even being bigger the price is still not proportionate to the size. A 32x32 base plate has 1023 total studs but use to cost $4.99? A 48x48 has 2034, or basically double the studs, but cost $14.99? That's triple the price. I guess it's more in line now since they raised the price of the 32x32 plates to $7.99 though...

Edited by Deathleech

I prefer not using baseplates at all, but building sturdy bases using bigger ordinary plates (16 x 16 are naturally the best), TEHCNIC bricks (8x6 and 16x1 are the most useful ones) and some random big <insert that tiresome argument> stuff. The thin baseplates bend more easily and slide easily on smooth surfaces.

I prefer not using baseplates at all, but building sturdy bases using bigger ordinary plates (16 x 16 are naturally the best), TEHCNIC bricks (8x6 and 16x1 are the most useful ones) and some random big <insert that tiresome argument> stuff. The thin baseplates bend more easily and slide easily on smooth surfaces.

There's always pros and cons I guess. I checked my table again, it actually can hold 10 of the 32x32 plates, eventually I ordered 4 of the green ones, that will be definitely sufficient for quite some time and after that I can still decide which way to go.

I really wish Lego had the darker green 32x32 base plates in production. I hate they only have the lighter, older green ones now (and the price hike).

As for the gray base plate, even being bigger the price is still not proportionate to the size. A 32x32 base plate has 1023 total studs but use to cost $4.99? A 48x48 has 2034, or basically double the studs, but cost $14.99? That's triple the price. I guess it's more in line now since they raised the price of the 32x32 plates to $7.99 though...

32x32=1024

48x48=2304

That's 2.25 times the amount of surface.

$14.99 is 1,88 times $7.99.

So in America the gray baseplate is proportionnaly cheaper than the green one.

Totally agreed! Now that I bought four of the green ones I must admit that this kind of green is not really cool... :)

32x32=1024

48x48=2304

That's 2.25 times the amount of surface.

$14.99 is 1,88 times $7.99.

So in America the gray baseplate is proportionnaly cheaper than the green one.

Now it is cheaper. The price increase on the 32x32 base plates is fairly recent though. They got a 60% increase in price in a single swoop. They use to be $4.99 and were for a long time while the gray 48x48 base plate was $14.99. The large gray ones use to cost 3x as much but they were no where near 3x as big.

In fairness, didn't the price of the "large" (32x32) remain at $4.99 since 1996 or 1997 or so? We were lucky to have it for so long at the same price it was seventeen years ago; while obviously I'd rather pay five bucks for one rather than eight, I don't think the new price is entirely unreasonable.

My only issue is the color thing. I don't even think it's bad to have the lighter, brighter green, and the tan is certainly welcome, but they should have kept the other green and the blue as well.

I much prefer the 32x32 and even though I have one 48x48, I've not yet built on it.

I also wish Lego would have kept the dark green and blue for variety.

I have one 48x48 baseplate and its on a shelf with a moc town square garden on it, ever since I ran out of room to display it. I kind of prefer the 32x32 size more, too. I found a BrickLink seller that had a new plate in the light bley color in 32x32, and bought it. was approx. the same price as the current ones for sale at Lego. I would like it a lot if they sold that size in that color still.

I still don't understand why blue baseplates are no longer available - especially given Lego have current and forthcoming lines with an emphasis upon water/ocean/blue (Pirates, Deep Sea Explorers, etc.). I'm sure it's a profit consideration in some respect, but it seriously compromises play value for specific lines.

I agree, they should have kept the "old" colours as well. The tan new one is a great addition for desert or beach settings (including some pirates burying a treasure). But then again, a further blue baseplate would be the perfect addition for a shoreline.